G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Full Vinyl Wrap Project -- Input and tips appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Took the suggestion to practice on items lol. I only had a small sample piece of 3M CF from like a year ago....

Learnt that CF shouldn't be stretched or it gets all distorted (cup)... You'd think thats common sense but I did not know that... So when I am doing the hood later on tonight or tomorrow I'll try to strtch it as little as possible.

Attached Thumbnails Full Vinyl Wrap Project -- Input and tips appreciated-20140723_175333.jpg   Full Vinyl Wrap Project -- Input and tips appreciated-20140719_194249.jpg  

Last edited by rollaspeed1; 07-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rollaspeed1
Took the suggestion to practice on items lol. I only had a small sample piece of 3M CF from like a year ago....

Learnt that CF shouldn't be stretched or it gets all distorted (cup)... You'd think thats common sense but I did not know that... So when I am doing the hood later on tonight or tomorrow I'll try to strtch it as little as possible.
Here is a good video from 3M when dealing with textured vinyls. This definitely applies to carbon fiber. Hope this helps you out. You really shouldn't have to stretch it much for a hood though. By the way, from your username, are you from Rolla, Mo? Just wondering since I am in St. Louis.

https://www.3mcustomerinsight.com/R.aspx?a=3796

Old 07-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
take your time but it is a real big process.

i wound up leaving mine to the pros at 631coating.com

Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by PersuAsian
Here is a good video from 3M when dealing with textured vinyls. This definitely applies to carbon fiber. Hope this helps you out. You really shouldn't have to stretch it much for a hood though. By the way, from your username, are you from Rolla, Mo? Just wondering since I am in St. Louis.

https://www.3mcustomerinsight.com/R.aspx?a=3796
Rolla comes from an anscient user name I had for everything when I used to have a Toyota CoROLLA lol I am from NorCal.

Thank you for the great tips so far. Fingers crossed on getting the CF delivered today so I can do it tonight. And I'll be sure to check out the video after work.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
If you have any nicks in your clear coat you need to touch them up before you wrap. Infinti paint in my opinion is crap. Its way too soft. If you have any clear coat blemishes the clear can & most likely will peel off when you re-position the vinyl. This happened to my on my hood. I had 1 small nick in the clear coat where the hood rubbed the fender, while repositioning the vinyl it peeled the clear off like it was nothing.

Also having a 2nd person to help hold the material is a plus, if your working solo make sure to get some vinyl car magnets to assist holding vinyl in place. It can be done solo but your time required almost tripples. With a second set of hands wrapping things like doors, hoods, trunks are a cake walk!

Old 07-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by digital sol
If you have any nicks in your clear coat you need to touch them up before you wrap. Infinti paint in my opinion is crap. Its way too soft. If you have any clear coat blemishes the clear can & most likely will peel off when you re-position the vinyl. This happened to my on my hood. I had 1 small nick in the clear coat where the hood rubbed the fender, while repositioning the vinyl it peeled the clear off like it was nothing.

Also having a 2nd person to help hold the material is a plus, if your working solo make sure to get some vinyl car magnets to assist holding vinyl in place. It can be done solo but your time required almost tripples. With a second set of hands wrapping things like doors, hoods, trunks are a cake walk!

Thank you. Infiniti paint IS crap lol. But I think my clear cost is fine. Btw I do have magnets coming.

OK so my order of 5ft x 10ft of CF is here along with everything I need. I'll be starting in about 5 hours. So I figured, I'll measure the hood, mark and cut the wrap to size with some to spare, wash/prep/degrease the area, lay the sheet, then with a helper I'll peel off the backing, stretch manually and lay it down dry. I'll then spray some soapy water on top of the wrap and start squeegeeing from the middle down. I'll keep heat and stretch to the minimum and won't use primer or edge sealer except for the final points UNDER the hood for some extra grip. Once its all done, I'll hit the whole thing with a heat gun to make it stick nicely. Am I missing anything?

Last edited by rollaspeed1; 07-24-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by rollaspeed1
Thank you. Infiniti paint IS crap lol. But I think my clear cost is fine. Btw I do have magnets coming.

OK so my order of 5ft x 10ft of CF is here along with everything I need. I'll be starting in about 5 hours. So I figured, I'll measure the hood, mark and cut the wrap to size with some to spare, wash/prep/degrease the area, lay the sheet, then with a helper I'll peel off the backing, stretch manually and lay it down dry. I'll then spray some soapy water on top of the wrap and start squeegeeing from the middle down. I'll keep heat and stretch to the minimum and won't use primer or edge sealer except for the final points UNDER the hood for some extra grip. Once its all done, I'll hit the whole thing with a heat gun to make it stick nicely. Am I missing anything?
Should be able to get it down nicely without any soapy water on top, just a padded squeegee should get it to lay flat. The air release sheet really is easy in that regard.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Did it by myself. Didn't do a very good job but learnt why. Didn't heart enough in the beginning and melted the vinyl in 2 places. Overall, is a success for the first time. Also, I played around with leftovers after. You'll see.

Attached Thumbnails Full Vinyl Wrap Project -- Input and tips appreciated-20140724_201240.jpg   Full Vinyl Wrap Project -- Input and tips appreciated-20140724_200250.jpg   Full Vinyl Wrap Project -- Input and tips appreciated-20140725_080510.jpg   Full Vinyl Wrap Project -- Input and tips appreciated-20140725_091533.jpg  

Last edited by rollaspeed1; 07-25-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks pretty good from the pictures. Nice job for a first try. Looking forward to the rest.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 PM
After being parked in the sun for a few hours most imperfections disappeared. II'lltake a needle to the rest. Still have 47x50 left, maybe for the trunk. The rest comes in Tuesday.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Can the dashboard be layed? Being textured and all...

Old 07-26-2014, 12:33 PM
I was limited on time last night so I only layed the lower half if the trunk. Came out flawless.

Attached Thumbnails Full Vinyl Wrap Project -- Input and tips appreciated-20140726_091014.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 01:56 PM
I'm writing from my phone but also wanted to let you know you can clear coat over the vinyl to make it glossy and a darker black. I can post some pics of some fenders I did a while back if you want. They were cleared after the wrap.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by digital sol
I'm writing from my phone but also wanted to let you know you can clear coat over the vinyl to make it glossy and a darker black. I can post some pics of some fenders I did a while back if you want. They were cleared after the wrap.
Post them! Does it protect the vinyl from the sun? Does it make removal harder?

Old 07-26-2014, 03:26 PM
It removes just the same but you have to be careful about overspray if your doing it on the car. I did these while they were off the customers scooter.

3m dinoc uncleared

Name:  null_zpsbc84fd02.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  203.4 KB

Cleared:
Name:  null_zpse91b0601.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  198.8 KB

Name:  null_zps15c2b55e.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  138.6 KB

In the sun, cleared:
Name:  null_zps08e8f9f3.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  192.1 KB

Name:  null_zpsd89a18be.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  218.5 KB

Customer installed Pics on a shady day, if there was direct light on them the color and pattern would really pop, really not a good example of installed pics to be honest.

Name:  null_zps1ec04f61.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  121.5 KB

Name:  null_zps8cd26607.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  128.8 KB

The big thing with clearing the material is it has to be done after its wrapped & you need to do wet coats. If you do too thin a coat the material gets a weird dry look when its done drying. I do 1-2 wet coats. You may notice the clear looks white when you spray it and the CF pattern is gone completely however once it drys it makes the cf look more a dark black and the pop of the cf is multiplied. You loose that any angle cf dry look and gain a glossy dark black w/tons of pop at angles cf look. You will want to test on a spare piece first as I have only cleared di-noc materials but I love the effect it gives them. I have more examples but they are all paintball related smaller wrapped items. I wrap car stuff but just really by word of mouth so a lot of small interior stuff, scooter stuff etc. I have not tackled a whole car wrap, just hood, roofs & trunks. I do a lot more paintball related wraps than anything. I feel like plasti dip would be cheaper/easier if I wanted to change the color of the car completely and wanted a satin or matte color finish. For gloss wrap would definitely be the only option.

Last edited by digital sol; 07-26-2014 at 03:39 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Full Vinyl Wrap Project -- Input and tips appreciated