G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

springs/camber labor price too high?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
springs/camber labor price too high?

Purchased eibach lowering springs and front n rear camber kits for my car and just called the shop that i planned on having install them. Im on long island in new york so so obviously the hourly rate is going to be higher than any other state. It's 125/hour and they said it's probably going to take 8 hours to install, does 8 hours sound right? Also they said its going to need a special alighnment that will probably be $225.

This place has an excellent reputation they do everything tunes, turbos, builds, exhaust u name it so i cant see them trying to do me dirty.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
The hourly rate is standard, but the amount of hours they're charging is actually a bit low. I'd say it's a pretty good deal, especially if they're doing the toe bolts too. So, install is a good price.

The "special alignment" is kind of pricey considering the only "special" thing they'll be doing is setting the camber, but it's not crazy out of line. It's definitely on the high end tho.

The following users liked this post:
youngdip631 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
New P/C I'm back!

That's a great price for installing springs and the alignment kit plus 4 wheel alignment...go for it!
Gary

youngdip631 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Wow u guys are right on with response time thanks! I also asked them they should do the alignment after the springs settle for a week or so and they said it really isnt necessary as the tires wont be out of spec that much after they settle. Should i go with what theyre saying or bring it back for the alignment after some time?

Old 05-03-2016, 06:54 PM
Received 351 Likes on 302 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
I think for that alignment price maybe you could ask for one year free adjustments, max of two. If it's as specialized a shop as you say they probably have a high end machine so they have capital investment to cover. But if total price is a good deal I wouldn't quibble if they balk.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:44 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
The hourly rate is standard, but the amount of hours they're charging is actually a bit low. I'd say it's a pretty good deal, especially if they're doing the toe bolts too. So, install is a good price.

The "special alignment" is kind of pricey considering the only "special" thing they'll be doing is setting the camber, but it's not crazy out of line. It's definitely on the high end tho.
SRSLY?

I changed mine, all four, IN MY GARAGE, and on jack stands in less that four hours. No air tools. If I had a lift and the proper tools I could have done it in three hours.

As for alignment, it's no big deal IF they can get it on the rack. I'm just lowered 1", you will be two or more inches. I got mine close it spec, but it still wears tire on the inside. Yours will need camber kits front and back to keep the tire wear reasonable. I got a "lifetime" alignment from Firestone.

It's not a hard job.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
SRSLY?

I changed mine, all four, IN MY GARAGE, and on jack stands in less that four hours. No air tools. If I had a lift and the proper tools I could have done it in three hours.

As for alignment, it's no big deal IF they can get it on the rack. I'm just lowered 1", you will be two or more inches. I got mine close it spec, but it still wears tire on the inside. Yours will need camber kits front and back to keep the tire wear reasonable. I got a "lifetime" alignment from Firestone.

It's not a hard job.
Haha when's the last time you went to a shop? Shops don't go by actual time spent. The way a shop works is they have a giant database of literally every repair for every car you could think of. There is then a time allotted to each repair that they're legally allowed to charge. It's called flagging hours. Basically, if the book says 8 hours and it takes them 2 hours, they charge for 8 hours. Believe me, I know it doesn't actually take that long.

Also, the guy will be be installing his camber kits, so that's gonna add hours, but since all the stuff is already off they're probably cutting him a break there.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Glad I can do my own work.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Glad I can do my own work.
Hell yeah. I feel bad for people who are at the mercy of these places. Not sure why they can't just be fair.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:52 AM
There are some things even the best "shade tree mechanic" can't/shouldn't do. The best thing is to develop a good relationship with a mechanic. My guy doesn't go "by the book". He shows me the standard rate and tells me, "this is the max", but most times, he comes in at two thirds of that.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:35 PM
There are some things even the best "shade tree mechanic" can't/shouldn't do. The best thing is to develop a good relationship with a mechanic. My guy doesn't go "by the book". He shows me the standard rate and tells me, "this is the max", but most times, he comes in at two thirds of that.
That's a good guy right there. And you're right about building relationships. I have a lifetime alignment at this place by my house. Basically I can go unlimited times for an alignment for the life of my car. I make it a point to buy some services now and then to keep these guys on my side (tire mounting, coolant flushes, etc.) And they all know me and I get my car aligned with no extra charges for being low or for having aftermarket alignment equipment. Always a quid pro quo. I don't imagine I'd be getting the great service if I didn't help support their cause. This should really just be common sense.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
That's a good guy right there. And you're right about building relationships. I have a lifetime alignment at this place by my house. Basically I can go unlimited times for an alignment for the life of my car. I make it a point to buy some services now and then to keep these guys on my side (tire mounting, coolant flushes, etc.) And they all know me and I get my car aligned with no extra charges for being low or for having aftermarket alignment equipment. Always a quid pro quo. I don't imagine I'd be getting the great service if I didn't help support their cause. This should really just be common sense.
Something that is in very short supply these days.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:48 AM
That feeling you get when only being charged for a full days work on a half day job is a GOOD DEAL.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:00 AM
Everything came out to $1,020, paid cash so no tax��

Old 05-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Dude...DIY next time because that is outrageous

Texasscout (05-11-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: springs/camber labor price too high?