G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Please help just replaced wheel bearing assembly and cv axle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 base sedan
Please help just replaced wheel bearing assembly and cv axle

Hello all, I just replaced the rear wheel bearing hub assembly and cv axle on my 07 g35 sedan driver side I followed what seems to be simple instructions on how to do this, put everything back in place went to test drive it only to hear a grinding/ rubbing/ clicking noise coming from the axle I just worked on I’ve tried to research as much as possible and nothing. I also looked up the splines count on my wheel hub which is 32 and the cv axle splines count is 29 is this normal ?? I bought the parts from o reily and of course they didn’t tell me anything to expect when doing this job. The sound only happens when I’m in either reverse or drive, Did I do something wrong when replacing these parts ? Am I missing a piece? I saw an abs tone ring mentioned online but the new one didn’t come with it is this what’s causing the noise? I’m completely stumped any feedback would be appreciated thx

Old 11-28-2018, 05:46 AM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Did u by any chance install the brake rotor shield on backwards?? That can rub on the rotor and cause some nasty noise.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:53 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Check the axle nut is torqued properly along with everything else. If you have RWD the ABS tone ring is on the output shaft by the diff the half shaft bolts into. I'd also check the brake shield.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:53 PM
G35 base sedan
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Did u by any chance install the brake rotor shield on backwards?? That can rub on the rotor and cause some nasty noise.
I didn’t have to take the brake shield off when installing the wheel bearing I don’t remember it even moving during the install process it sounds like the cv shaft is bouncing inside the wheel bearing

Old 11-28-2018, 09:57 PM
G35 base sedan
Originally Posted by coffeysm
Check the axle nut is torqued properly along with everything else. If you have RWD the ABS tone ring is on the output shaft by the diff the half shaft bolts into. I'd also check the brake shield.
do you by any chance know the torque specs ?? It’s a weird because I’m not even moving and the sound happens I’m just holding the brake while in reverse or drive and the sound starts and do I need a tone ring I don’t remember seeing it on my new cv shaft but it was definitely on the old one

Old 11-29-2018, 11:31 AM
It only happens when you hold the brake? The tone ring isn't on the actual axle at least if you have RWD, unless the G37 is different. The flange the axle bolts to that comes out from the diff is where the tone ring and ABS sensor sit. Your ABS light would turn on also if it couldn't read the tone ring. I don't know the exact specs, but I did both my rear wheel bearings and just tightened it hard and then used a breaker bar with a pipe to give it a little extra snug.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:30 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I would take the wheels off and inspect the splines, you should DEFINITELY have the same number of splines on both the shaft and hub. If you don't then it will quickly destroy itself if you can even get it assembled. They may have sold you a defective part that was meant for a different vehicle.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:24 AM
G35 base sedan
Originally Posted by coffeysm
It only happens when you hold the brake? The tone ring isn't on the actual axle at least if you have RWD, unless the G37 is different. The flange the axle bolts to that comes out from the diff is where the tone ring and ABS sensor sit. Your ABS light would turn on also if it couldn't read the tone ring. I don't know the exact specs, but I did both my rear wheel bearings and just tightened it hard and then used a breaker bar with a pipe to give it a little extra snug.
ok thanks for info and no I don’t have an abs light come on this is driving me insane honestly and yes it only happens when I just holding the brake it’s in my garage so once I heard that noise I never moved the car I thought I would mess something up worse this can’t be that hard of a repair to do

Old 11-30-2018, 01:30 AM
G35 base sedan
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I would take the wheels off and inspect the splines, you should DEFINITELY have the same number of splines on both the shaft and hub. If you don't then it will quickly destroy itself if you can even get it assembled. They may have sold you a defective part that was meant for a different vehicle.
I really hope this is my problem but yes they are definitely different spline counts but everyone I’ve seen online has a spline count of 29 for axle and 32 for wheel bearing even my old wheel bearing has 32 I didn’t think to count the splines on the shaft before I turned it in for core charge I didn’t think I was going to run into this problem I will take everything apart this weekend and try again I wish I knew for sure that the splines are suppose to be different honestly I would have to take off the shaft on the passenger side to find out which I didn’t really want to do but at this point I’m all out of options. Would the dealership share any info on my problem?

Old 11-30-2018, 03:36 AM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
U might be able to count the splines on the shaft from under the car without taking it all apart....maybe!

Old 11-30-2018, 06:37 AM
G35 base sedan
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
U might be able to count the splines on the shaft from under the car without taking it all apart....maybe!
that would be nice I need to find out the spline count ASAP I do believe that’s my problem it’s hard when no one around me sells it, I may need to talk to someone at the Infiniti dealership and hope they could share some info

Old 12-04-2018, 09:36 PM
I just responded to your new post. But, the rear wheel hubs I purchased when I did mine do have 29 splines. I put a link to them as well and they also sell a kit for like 55 bucks.