G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Car too high mileage for Aftermarket Products? G35xS 2008

Old 04-07-2019, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35x Sedan Sport
Car too high mileage for Aftermarket Products? G35xS 2008

Hi everyone,

I recently got a good deal on a 2008 g35xs sedan with 154000 miles on it. My mechanic said there is nothing to worry about the car safety-wise and only had to tighten some screws under the car to dampen some noise and said it was well maintained. I am loving it so far.

I was wondering if you think the car is too old and too high mileage to put aftermarket products on it. I would like to keep the car until it busts (hoping beyond 300k). I am changing tomorrow the air intake to a Weapon R Secret and putting on afepower dry filters.

I have a small hole in the exhaust and have been considering of getting the gen 2 stillen catback. I am a fan of the more subtle sound of the stillen exhaust compared to other ones.

Would it be an overkill to get a new sport braking system (rotors and calipers)?

What about a sway bar for handling? I asked my mechanic about this and he said to not bother with the sway bar. He said it may not even be possible considering the age of the car and pieces may have fused together by now...

That would be it for mods. Nothing too intense.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by MING35x; 04-07-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:38 PM
G35x Sedan Sport

Pics from the car.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:40 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I doubt your mechanic is actually knowledgeable about this platform. If you're just going to do N/A bolt-on mods then there's not really any such thing as "too high of mileage". If you were going FI then yes you want a fresh motor ideally or one with under 100k to start with because you invest a fairly significant amount of money into the system and you want to get at least a few years out of it before something breaks.

Nothing wrong with exhaust mods and Stillen generally makes good stuff.

Do you plan on tracking the car? If not then you'll never really need the Akebono's, if you want a more sporty feel along with the dust and noise then just get a more performance oriented pad and new brake fluid.

The V36 platform does benefit from stiffer sway bars so yes you can add them to the list along with performance wheels/tires and springs/struts. Not a whole lot of point in just doing 1 or two off that list you sort of need the whole package to really benefit from a base X suspension.

I think you need to ask yourself what you actually WANT from the car though, do you need to carve corners (full suspension upgrade) or are you just looking to sport things up a little? Do you need more wheel horsepower (full cold air intake and a tune) or do you just want to add a little rice under the hood (short ram polished intakes).

A lot of components can be taken from the sport equipped V36 platform and bolted directly onto your car to give it a more sporty feel and those used OEM components are usually a LOT less expensive than aftermarket performance stuff.

The following users liked this post:
LCC0256 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Cleric, wouldn't the G35xS already have a beefed up suspension? I thought the "S" stood for sport and included suspension upgrades. But I don't know if the OEM sport setup really is a vast improvement or not and am truly curious. That's been a question on my mind with my 2006 coupe that has the premium package and sport suspension...whether it really would benefit from suspension upgrades or would the improvement be so nominal as to be not worth it. I'm thinking upgrade to poly bushings when the time comes but stay OEM as to the metal parts. Thoughts?

Old 04-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
04 G35 Sedan performance package. 70k Eibach springs and sway bars. 19 inch wheels. Plenum spacer.
If the car has been driven a lot on salted roads that may be of concern to your mechanic as corrosion will make suspension work more difficult.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:10 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah sorry I should have clarified you would want equipment from a sport equipped COUPE, the X sedan sport package was nothing more than seats, wheels, and paddle shifters. Suspension was the same on the X models.

I'll be honest though I don't know what the interchange issues are with the components on the X models.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:52 PM
G35x Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I doubt your mechanic is actually knowledgeable about this platform. If you're just going to do N/A bolt-on mods then there's not really any such thing as "too high of mileage". If you were going FI then yes you want a fresh motor ideally or one with under 100k to start with because you invest a fairly significant amount of money into the system and you want to get at least a few years out of it before something breaks.

Nothing wrong with exhaust mods and Stillen generally makes good stuff.

Do you plan on tracking the car? If not then you'll never really need the Akebono's, if you want a more sporty feel along with the dust and noise then just get a more performance oriented pad and new brake fluid.

The V36 platform does benefit from stiffer sway bars so yes you can add them to the list along with performance wheels/tires and springs/struts. Not a whole lot of point in just doing 1 or two off that list you sort of need the whole package to really benefit from a base X suspension.

I think you need to ask yourself what you actually WANT from the car though, do you need to carve corners (full suspension upgrade) or are you just looking to sport things up a little? Do you need more wheel horsepower (full cold air intake and a tune) or do you just want to add a little rice under the hood (short ram polished intakes).

A lot of components can be taken from the sport equipped V36 platform and bolted directly onto your car to give it a more sporty feel and those used OEM components are usually a LOT less expensive than aftermarket performance stuff.
Thanks for the reply cleric670@gmail

Honestly, I am beginning to doubt what kind of mechanic he really is. I think he thinks my car is a beater or something lol. There is no way I am going to go FI on this car -- it will cost more than what the car is actually worth

Nor will I be tracking the car. I just want a little more sportier of a feel to be honest. My driving is strictly city and highway driving so I enjoy stepping on it occasionally and cornering but nothing too crazy. A little looks, a little noise, and a little speed is what I am looking for. I do feel that the breaking of the car could be a little better though so I will check on new pads. Any idea about calipers? Should I just send the stock ones to be painted or buy a different set?

I'll do some research on suspensions.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:54 PM
G35x Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by Pbfoot
If the car has been driven a lot on salted roads that may be of concern to your mechanic as corrosion will make suspension work more difficult.
Well I do live in the Midwest and we have plenty of salted roads in the winter and I think that is where my mechanic is coming from when he said the above.

The following users liked this post:
Pbfoot (04-18-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 12:55 PM
G35x Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Yeah sorry I should have clarified you would want equipment from a sport equipped COUPE, the X sedan sport package was nothing more than seats, wheels, and paddle shifters. Suspension was the same on the X models.

I'll be honest though I don't know what the interchange issues are with the components on the X models.
Got it! Thanks!!

Old 04-18-2019, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
infinito g35x sedan
I recently put Hotchkis sway bars, ark cat back exhaust, and a stillen gen3 CAI on my (took the parts of my old 08g35X)07 G35X.My current G had 188k when I bought. It’s not old.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
recently got an '07 sedan with 224k on the clock. def. going twin turbo on it

Old 04-21-2019, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by 99zx2turd
Why? Hopefully you build a dedicated motor for that abuse.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Garnet Ember G35X Sport EBC rotors LEDs GTR button Tail-as-Turn TBW undertray Alarm shock sensor
Wait till he sees what it will take/cost to do the job. Does he know there are TWO throttle bodies on that motor? Stillen makes a supercharger kit designed for the VQ35HR motor; it isn't cheap. A twin turbo setup is going to be a custom job. - $$$$.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:51 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Shogun
Wait till he sees what it will take/cost to do the job. Does he know there are TWO throttle bodies on that motor? Stillen makes a supercharger kit designed for the VQ35HR motor; it isn't cheap. A twin turbo setup is going to be a custom job. - $$$$.
man, you guys are easily trolled...

Old 04-23-2019, 10:38 PM
G35x Sedan Sport
Originally Posted by 99zx2turd
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Why? Hopefully you build a dedicated motor for that abuse.
Originally Posted by Red Shogun
Hahaha you guys are crazy. Why would you do that 😂