G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

Seduced by the new Infiniti G Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seduced by the new Infiniti G Coupe

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...iG37coupe-0809

BIRMINGHAM, Ala.<!-- /dateline --> — Here at Barber Motorsports Park, I have my arms wrapped around the Seductress.
That's the name certain engineers gave to the 2008 Infiniti G37 coupe while it was in development. Their goal was to reinvent the G coupe, the two-door version of the G35 sedan, as a faster, more exciting but not more punishing ride than the outgoing G35 coupe.
They succeeded.
In a nutshell, the rear-drive G37 is easy to drive quickly and smoothly. That's despite a weight gain of about 62 kilograms, no small matter in a car like this.

Enlarge Image The G37 is aimed squarely at the BMW 335i coupe and the Infiniti’s presence will be felt by the Bavarians. <CITE class=source>(INFINITI)</CITE>

Photogallery

Nonetheless, once I became accustomed to the very technical Barber road course (with its right-left-right down hills, fast straight bits and blind rises), the stiffer, more powerful and sleeker G37 proved itself wonderfully well.
The score: the new G coupe is fast, capable, gorgeous and luxurious.
It is a racier car than the G35 coupe it is replacing, yet it is richer in look and feel. Dive into a turn and the G37 confidently and predictably transfers weight, so cornering is well-managed.
The neutral balance is a treat and the suspension puts a hold on the sort of bobbing and weaving you can get with hard braking followed by aggressive throttling.
So if you do have $50,000-ish to spend on a sports coupe, you'd be silly to ignore the G37. BMW certainly won't.
The G37 is aimed squarely at the BMW 335i coupe and the Infiniti's presence will be felt by the Bavarians. In fact, the G has been outselling its German rival, and clear target, for several years.
Remember, the G37 (base price $47,350) is less expensive than the 330-hp, twin-turbo 335i (base price $51,600), although BMW does offer the considerably less powerful (230 hp) and less expensive 328i coupe ($43,600). The fairest comparison, however, is between the G37 and the 335i.
(For the record, it still might be possible to find an outgoing G35 coupe at a price well below $47,000. These last remaining coupes are an excellent buy, though obviously you will not be getting the newest new thing. The outgoing G is definitely worth a look, in my view, despite having just 275 horsepower versus the G37's 330.)
During our test drive on a sweltering, muggy Alabama day, it is clear that the fastest G37 is the Sport model with its six-speed manual transmission and the optional 4WAS (four-wheel active steering) system. It is something else, and not just because of this steering gizmo.
We've seen four-wheel steering before, from other auto makers. In Infiniti's case, the engineers say their 4WAS improves handling via the rear suspension by slightly adjusting the rear wheels, based on steering input and vehicle speed. Motor-driven controls at the rear turn the wheels as much as one degree in the same direction as the fronts. You'll need to drive hard and fast to notice any of this.
The rear steering is packaged with adaptive front lighting, intelligent cruise control and some other odds and ends for $5,400.
I notched considerable seat time in this car, but honestly did not truly notice the 4WAS at work. That might be a good thing, however; if rear-wheel interventions were obvious they would throw off one's driving.
What matters at least as much is that the Sport model lists for $49,950. So if you want the raciest G with the fancy steering system, your sticker price runs to the mid-$50,000 range.
Regardless of how much you spend, all G37s get the 330-horsepower V-6, with its smooth exhaust note, supple suspension (unless you are dialled into the hugely firm Sport setup) and quiet ride. For no charge, you can also trade the six-speed for a five-speed automatic. And this is not such a bad thing.
In Sport mode, this auto gearbox downshifts quickly (yes, there are paddle shifters) and holds a gear through corners — though the six-speed self-shifter is more fun.
The 14-inch front brake rotors on the Sport burn off speed in a snap and the steering is precise and communicative.
Overall, however, the 3-Series has a more compliant ride, equal power, a tidier manual tranny, a smoother yet stiffer brake pedal and a bigger price tag when comparably equipped. The 3-Series is, I'd argue, slightly superior overall and I personally prefer its styling. But the G is a very close match. Infiniti can legitimately argue its case as a real rival to BMW.
The message here above all is that the G37 is a huge improvement over the outgoing coupe. It is a very good car, well engineered and competently executed.
But all is not perfect. I would argue that the Infiniti's steering feels best and most confidence-inspiring in a straight line, grand touring-style. I am also betting that many potential buyers will ultimately find that the G's Sport suspension is overly firm.
Other negatives: From the driver's seat, you'll find visibility to the side is somewhat limited for lane changing. Sun glare at times makes the centre dash displays hard to read and adults squeezed into the back have no choice but to tilt their heads sideways or slouch.
If there is a plus for rear passengers, it's that there is at least a nifty button to power the front passenger seat forward for entry and exit. Realistically, this is a two-seater with a rear jump seat — a true 2+2, in other words.
The rear area, though, is useful for cargo. The rear seats fold in one piece to extend the length of the trunk, making it possible to load two sets of golf clubs. (Just in case you need help with this point, Infiniti provides a diagram illustrating how to load two golf bags.)
Overall, the G's interior is lovely and functional and a dead ringer for the G35's cabin. That means the leather feels rich, the designs are eye-catching, the build quality looks exceptional, and all gauges and indicators and controls are self-explanatory and generally well-positioned.
Seats are comfortable and supportive. And a power tilt and telescoping steering wheel makes it possible for anyone to find a comfortable driving position.
The point to remember in all this is that the G37, while it shares its basic mechanical with the G35, is much smaller than the sedan. So there are compromises when it comes to space. The G37 also rides lower than the G35, as you would expect in a sporty car.
But you won't find any compromises in quality and safety. Infiniti consistently scores well in quality studies from J.ƒ|D. Power and Associates and Consumer Reports magazine and the G37 will surely carry on that tradition.
On the safety side, the G coupe is loaded with high-tech seatbelts, airbags, stability control and antilock braking. The U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rates the mechanically similar G sedan as being good in front impacts, acceptable in side impacts and marginal in rear impacts. There are no crash test ratings yet available for the coupe.
Infiniti introduced the G35 coupe back in 2002 as a 2003 model. Then, like now, it was a mature alternative to its shorter-wheelbase two-seat cousin, the Nissan 350Z. Almost immediately, sales took off and ever since they have regularly out-sold rivals such as Audi's TT, the Mercedes C-Class coupes and, most important for Infiniti, BMW's 3-Series coupe.
I can't imagine the new G coupe will do any differently.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Nice find BostonMerlin, pretty well written article.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great information man, ill be going to the viewing wed 8/22/07 in Mass

thx

Old 08-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Scootch
great information man, ill be going to the viewing wed 8/22/07 in Mass

thx
hey there scootch.. Kelly infiniti is having a showing on the 16th.. much sooner than the 22nd! I'll be there along with a buddy who drives a g35c

Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Although I like that it's from a Canadian perspective, a couple of things make me question this guys opinions. First off in Canada the 4WAS is a stand alone option that you need the Nav & Tech package first to get. It's not packaged with the Adaptive headlights or ICC at all. Second, and probably just my opinion, the guy touts how great the 4WAS is and how you have to drive hard and fast to notice it? every other review out there basically slams the 4WAS from an enthusiast perspective saying it's more useful for lane changes than turning at a race track, since it's suppose to induce understeer. I don't know about you, but if I'm driving hard and fast at the track I wouldn't want understeer going into a corner in a RWD car.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
wow 49k in cananda...thats alot of $$

Old 08-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Queenskid24
wow 49k in cananda...thats alot of $$
Exactly, and our price only dropped $500 from the G35 Coupe. Doesn't make your price increase in the states look that bad anymore does it? A Canadian could still save ~$8K importing from the states, but then I'm sure the quality of Infiniti service here would go south fast.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, interesting review. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and while the G37 is not a knockout it is far more appealing to me than the 335. The 335 still has too much a sedan carryover look for me. Also as Orbie pointed out there are a few details left out on the 4was option.

There were a couple of other inaccuracies in engine outputs. The G35 is available with 293 hp (not 275) in a 6mt which is what he was testing. Also the rated hp in the 335 is 300 not 330 which is a difference of 70 (not 100) from the 328.

Queenskid, welcome to Canada. Many things are more expensive here certainly including virtually all makes and models of cars.