General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Warning another NOOB!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Sickk cant wait 2 see pics ! u were probli stoked 2 finally get it in the driveway

Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Now foot notes...

Air bags & belts are still F'ed..
Waiting on stock stereo to get A/C workin..
I have NO IDEA how funky the gas in it is, but it's got less that 1/3 of a tank.
It's missing just a tiny bit @ idle..

BUT IT WAS SWEET RIDING IT HOME~

From a money standpoint FEH.. coulda bought something similar for 4K less.. but it would have other issues, I KNOW what I have now.. and that's something...

It shifted like butter....
and didn't pull or wiggle.. it was TIGHT ( well for stock )

Mike

Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Ok now progress....
Left work early, since the VIN guy @ DMV wouldn't be there Friday....
Got there ~ 1:00. 20 min to park 15 min in line, then take a seat...
Stare at monitor.. listen to other's really F ed up stories....Stare at monitor.

1:45 ( tic tic tic, like the clock on 24 )

I'm looking at all the weird people ( but I'm there, so the next person thinks I'm weird ) ...
Wondering to try to run to Jack in the box across the street.. Risking loosing your place in the Q... and you KNOW there is a CCTV camera watching EVERYONE... and the microsecond you walk out to have a smoke or get a coke across the street, no matter if your number is a BILLION numbers away..... as you exit the door, just out of visual range... BOOM your numbers called....

1:46 time has stood still and your universe has winked out...

The clock ticking is poundin your head...
A child falls and cries, and kicks mom's expensive phone across the room...

A fat hispanic chick waddles across the room laughing loudly to her friend on the phone
oblivious to the THOUSAND people crammed into DMV..Her laugh is like nails on a chalk board....

If they could SQUEEZE ALL THE FAT off that chick, she could run her lowered bio diesel 68 Impala for the next 50 years!

1:47 I'm convinced today IS the end of the world......

The mind numbing boredom....and just as you think it couldn't get WORSE..

1 kid has her Mom's Ipad ( God I used to love Apple ) and the kid is streaming BARNEY
The purple happy monster...

I love you... you love me...

OH GOD!!!!!

Getting ready to get on my knees and and wail to Auto club... WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!

LIKE A CRACK OF THUNDER....THE PA EXPLODES

NOW SERVING A 127 at window #1...

( soft whimpering..... it's me... it's MY TURN.... )

It's now 2:45 and I bolt off my government issue one size fits all chair..

I say hello and be as pleasant as I can be ( except for the little tic on the right side of my face and the kids sings along with Barney )

I get this...Sir until you get the brake light inspection I can only give you a 2 day permit...

3:00PM... ( tic tic tic )

So WOOSH.. off I went to find the ONLY brake , light inspector in Valencia...
Called first, $100.00 bucks ( including paperwork ) ...
So this get's you 5 minutes in the lube bay ( how typical ) for someone to operate your car's lights... and go yup, there on...

10 minutes on the rack to see that nutting leaking or sweating..
the mechanic then drives your car at break next speed and does an emergency stop 3X..
Then verifies the parking brake works...this is WRONG TOTALLY WRONG... and a ripoff... but I did need it to get to the next level....

Time @ shop 1/2 hr....paperwork in hand.... ZOOM...

Rush to vet to P/U meds for our dog, she got spayed yesterday.. and the vet forgot to give the stuff to us...

4:30 ( tic tic tic )

Pull back into the most BORING place on the planet, DMV.... pull right up to VIN inspection....No one is there.. I go inside I ask if there is someone who is coming out..

The nice lady who takes your Drivers license pix, stated he will be right out...
Back outside I go.....

98 degress outside... sweating 4:50.... DMV closes @ 5:00
and I get The HAPPY sheriff .....

Now it is So Cal and we must all be tolerant.... but when asked for me to pop my hood... Some defense mechanism in my head sounded air raid sirens...

So I backed off... he peered & leared.. and was just finishing my paperwork..
When I asked if I could leave the car here while I went in to get my 30 day pass..

He said no, but this car is SOOOOOOOO NICCCEEEEEEEEEE I could park in the driver training return area....And I could go right up to the window I was at earlier straight away...So not to make any more small talk.. I parked, I walked to the window with purpose..

I got my 30 day pass.. and I left....

I stopped to fill the tank with fresh gas, got a Ice tea.. went home and said NO MORE TODAY....

Mike

( ps tomorrows plan, get up early, evac the A/C,pull the stock radio out Install the double din Metra face ( yeah I know, frickin metra ) So I have control of the A/C system
Charge it and make that go... cause today was freakin HOT! )

Old 07-29-2011, 06:17 PM
My faith in humanity has been restored...

todays fun...

I cut out the remnants of the pass side air bag & bent the metal back...
Note to all you female G 35 drivers... the exploded air bag cavity would make a great tissue holder.. you know those ones with Aloe Vera..

and I installed the new Drives side air bag... with one small OOPS.. the old connectors going to the back of the bag.. the ones that SHOULD unplug... well thanks to the squibb going off in a deployed bag.. the case metal temp where the 2 plugs go through cause the connectors to MELT...

Those wires got taped off ( for now ) but the new bag is in place & the horn works.. and off I raced in to today progress....

Had the oil changed..
That place tried to up sell me on about 20 items...
Oh your car won't pass smog with that air filter.. it's to dirty..
You need new wiper blades... 45 bucks!
( can't people just do an oil change ONLY! )
But they did mention my tranny was over filled~~
[ That went into the " later " file.]

Passed smog W flying colors.

Got in and out of DMV in 20 minutes got a pole position parking space, went thru the Q made eye contact with the lady who helped me yesterday....
She took me next~and WOOSH I'm outta there with plates & stickers..

I'm street LEGAL!!!

Went to Ritchies to check on the over fill.. and YES they indeed made a mistake.... so they tried to drain a little bit out..
Well the drain plug was WAY HOT..
WOOSH out comes 4.5 quarts of tranny fluid...

I still was sitting on 7 qts at home so it's like I got a free flush HAHAHAHAHAHHA!

So the new plates are on
Tranny flushed
AND they found a loose tie rod end so that got a little love...

So in light of all this joy... I promptly took the car to my car stereo guy Danny...

He's going to install the metra kit ( yea..... stop booing ), the Pioneer double din
new door speakers, and put on the new door panel ( pass side )

Which means TOMORROW I can do the AC and I'm GOLD to be a daily driver..

Well minus a few nice to haves... but its ALL GOOD!

Mike

Last edited by vigman; 07-30-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Stereo done..... ( phase 1 )

A/C now tomorrow...

Old 07-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice project. I hope u got a good deal on it to justify everything. I buy cars from insurance auctions. IM about to buy my own g.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:39 PM
I would be VERY VERY careful about a front end damage car... I am upside down on mine, by a BUNCH...
I planed all along for this to be my driver....so if it holds I will get my $$ out on usage...
It still has a salvage title, not a rebuild due to DMV laws between us ( Ca ja bro ) & them...( Kentucky )

So A/C is NOW working... fricking COLD!

Vac for 20 min.. let sit for 1 hr... it dropped.. then I remembered my High side gauge hose has a SLIGHT leak at a fitting ( I HATE 134!! ).
Vac for 10 min , sat for 1 hr NO DROP!!!!

Pushed a charge in and VOILA~

Low side ~ 42 ( idle ) /38 ( 2K rpm ) psi High side 225 / 240 ( but it's a bit cool here today ).
I went for a slight under charge vs over. and there's still a ton of leak detect dye in the system~

The Metra DD kit is a bit of a ****.. But I'm SO HAPPY I can control heat & air it almost makes the Fisher / Price my first AC controller buttons tolerable.

Had an issue with the P/S seat switch ( something was stuck under the switch bezel ) but a little contact cleaner & hi pressure air and it's 100%

The new Ipod interface doesn't charge my iPhone or iPod... grrrrrrr I think a line was not connected properly...

Lexol' ed the seats

Got the bad seat belts out for repair ( shipping out monday ).
Looks a bit weird W/O the back side panels in.....

Did a little bit of detaling, added clear side markers W amber LED's ( Cops around here are REALLY pickey about colors ).

Not much else to report, it's been raining on & off like frickin Hawaii..
So I'm calling it a day~

Tomorrow I take her into work for the first time...

Mike

Last edited by vigman; 07-31-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Not sure if anyone of you guys know about

WWW.COPART.COM

they have tons of vehicles that are from insurance companies and are a auction as well. I was looking at buying a wrecked vehicle just to use for parts and part out.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:56 PM
I have used Copart in the past, I have had a few issues with them about " warranties "
and shipping...

Mike

Old 07-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Oh and more pix in the garage.....
https://g35driver.com/forums/members...r-project.html

Mike

Old 07-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yea copart and iaai is who i buy from. Her is the one im lookin at should be a easu repair since I do body work and also paint on the side. She should go for around 4-5 k.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:38 PM
So the car made it to work 3 X this week ( and I took a couple of days off ).

So the tunes are nice.. the car runs fine.. A/C still freezing..

Now new issues...
The metal strip on the new pass side door, which hold the internal top weather strip..
Well one towards the rear of the door " somehow" got pushed out during the stereo install and scratched the window tint... GRRRRRR.

The car is leaking fuel from somewhere around the fill neck area.. probably vapors getting up there, condensing and leaking out....The tank is really REALLY full and it's very hot....So this on the tomorrow list.

Seat belts shipped out....

Drivers side headlight bulb went out for the HID low beam ( replaced ).

Center console... is either for a stick or just really busted, the center shift bezel is just moving all around.... I have a new ( used ) center console on order...

Replaced the light for the shift indicator in the center console.

Put a dash cover on to hide the blown pass side front air bag.

Need to secure the little plastic " rope " for the gas cap... plastic rivet is busted.

Mike

Last edited by vigman; 08-05-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:03 AM
FRICKIN SO CAL DMV & CHP!

So I get all my inspections done, get plates & stickers... then the phone call from DMV.

If you get an outta state salvage you must submit to the UBER inspection from a REAL CHP officer...
Not the Auxillary DMV inspector ( or CHP LITE dude ). He's only good for IN state transfers / inspections.
I have to produce receipts for EVERY part I have on the car ( not a problem ).. I guess they want to make sure I'm not a chop shop... fair enough.
ALL safety equipment must be 100% ( still working on the SRS Air bag / seat belt systems ).
AND If you get USED air bags you must produce the VIN number from the car it came off of ( ... Hmmmmmm I have E mails out to the people I bought it from... )

I now have a small sized phonebook of paperwork ( receipts et al ) which took me 3 hrs to compile last night..
I'm more afraid to add it all up, then the inspection LOL

I have to remove the tint from the Side windows ( BOOO-HISSSS ).

And I have till Nov to get this all done.....the inspection takes like 4+ hrs.... What a pain in the tail pipe!

Oh yeah not to mention I have a cracked vapor return line in the fuel tank area so I smell gas from time to time.. $ 700.00 to drop the tank and replace 45 bucks of hoses~!

Mike

Last edited by vigman; 08-11-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Todays fun.....

Replaced clock spring connectors. Not to bad.
Installed P/S air bag. A bit of a BIATCH
Replaced in cabin air filter ( what was in there was WAY GROSS ).
Installed seat belts.. Had em rebulit @ http://www.myairbags.com

BUT

The stereo shop that had removed my belts ( that were under tension ) had buggered up the threads on the upper bolt on the Pass side top...

Now check this out... it's a hardened metric bolt.. and you can ONLY get it at the dealer ( special shoulder style bolt ) and they ONLY sell it with a new seat belt! So not to be beat down... I tried to get a DIE to re thread the bolt.. it's a 1.25 thread I guessed 10mm but it was slightly bigger a 5/16 US fine Die WORKED PERFECT to re thread the bolt... TADA!! ( buh bye 2 hrs )....

So after ALL THAT I had battery disconnected the WHOLE TIME...
Re connected the power...and I cannot enter diagnostic mode for air bags! ( SRS-17 in the shop manual)
FRACK~
The light comes on & stays on. FAIL, ARRGGGHHHHHH.

So after sweatin like a PIG for the morning / after noon... had a NAP.. I LOVE NAPS~

So now...
Doing some research if the air bag light will not go OFF
I have to check ( in the kick panel ) 10A fuse #13 if that's popped or missing..
10A #14 is the other Airbag indicator fuse , but that supplies power to the light in the cluster.. so I guess that's good!

I need to get that Air bag light to start FLASHING, so I can run codes & see what else is up!

At least I have seat belts.....

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Warning another NOOB!