General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

VCD and SLIP Lights come on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by VT's G35S Sedan
Okay Guys so Here is an UPDATE. I had the time and took off my sensors and found my issue right off the bet. The sensor itself was a bit dirty but nothing bad, The actual issue was the attaching screw itself wasnt making a good grounding connection due to Oxidation.

I Used some WD-40 and a metal scrub brush to get the build up off. IMO, this build up is caused due to the Knucle of the axle being made of Aluminum and the ABS sensor grounding plate is out of metal. Either way after I cleaned it up and re-installed everything back into its place.Then I fired it up and my lights were all still there, for a moment I was disapointed and thought I waisted my time. But then I reset the ECU by unplugging the neggative cable from the battery for 15 mins. Went to start it up and took it for a spin and the issue is GONE. Been a week now and Now more lights and my VCD is working just fine. Glad I asked and didnt take in for a diognostics, what a waist of money that would be.

Thank you guys! Hope this helps to anyone out there with simillar VCD issues.

Picture one is of the sensor as I found it with white build up and rust>>>>>>>>>>

Picture # 2 and #3 are of the sensor and screw after I cleaned and scrubed it with a metal brush

It's all nice and good that you cleaned that connection up, but it has nothing to do with grounding the wheel sensor since there is no electrical connection to ground at the wheel sensor. That metal grommet is only inserted there to prevent crushing the plastic casing of the sensor while tightening it to the extent that it needs to remain in position. It makes absolutely no electrical difference in the sensor operation if it is corroded or not.

Since you think it fixed your problem, then I would suspect that the sensor may be getting somewhat flaky and was coaxed back into working simply by manipulating the cable back and forth while cleaning it. Sensor cables are known to be sensitive; perhaps the internal conductors in the cable are making intermittent contact? Or it could be that in it's original placement (before removal for cleaning) there was a poor alignment or obstruction between the pickup and and the inducer, but in any case, you should know that you potentially still have a problem, it just may be dormant.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
It's all nice and good that you cleaned that connection up, but it has nothing to do with grounding the wheel sensor since there is no electrical connection to ground at the wheel sensor. That metal grommet is only inserted there to prevent crushing the plastic casing of the sensor while tightening it to the extent that it needs to remain in position. It makes absolutely no electrical difference in the sensor operation if it is corroded or not.

Since you think it fixed your problem, then I would suspect that the sensor may be getting somewhat flaky and was coaxed back into working simply by manipulating the cable back and forth while cleaning it. Sensor cables are known to be sensitive; perhaps the internal conductors in the cable are making intermittent contact? Or it could be that in it's original placement (before removal for cleaning) there was a poor alignment or obstruction between the pickup and and the inducer, but in any case, you should know that you potentially still have a problem, it just may be dormant.

Well If thats the case then I don't know.. But what I know is that my VCD Issue is gone and gone for good. Trust me, I put the VCD to its full potantial use everyday. And Tried recreating every possible senerio in which the VCD malfunctioned before and not a single issue.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear that your issue was Fixed, I also just Fixed a VDC / SLIP issue and for anyone who may stumble across this it was a simple fix of having the Car Hooked up to the Consult Tool and having my Wheel Position Sensor re calibrated in the Steering Wheel. Hopefully this helps someone else out.
Thanks,