General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

07 g35 revup VQ37HR swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes 07 g35 revup VQ37HR swap

so heres the situation

07 g35 coupe 6mt revup needs a new engine

i plan on putting in an engine from a g 37 but i have a few things to take into consideration and some learning yet to do.

i would like to use a VQ37HR engine, along with it i will be using the g37 transmission, harness, ecu, driveshaft and mounts the computer will be flashed by our good friends at z speed. I will be building my own harness once i figure out exactly what engine i am using.

possibilities
vq35hr
vq37hr
vq35vhr
vq37vhr

what is different about the VHR engines
what is VVEL?

people have suggested using a vq37hr with vq35hr heads. i dont understand this. perhaps using a VQ37VHR with VQ35HR heads to eliminate the vvel ?

in the end i would basicly like to have a 330 hp na VQ37HR engine in my car what would you suggest as a good combo for block and heads

in the future the car then engine will be fully built, TT, with a 750 whp goal

The following users liked this post:
tswan1206 (10-12-2021)
Old 12-05-2020, 06:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 coupe 6MT
Bump

Great post and I am in a similar boat with a 05 G35 6MT and a blown rev up engine.

really close to pulling the trigger on a VQ35HR from an 07 350z with the 6MT attached

found a VQ37VHR short block I want to add to this equation

Guilty Garage is providing the wiring harness & ECU and I’m using there FAQ page to do the swap.

jumped on the forum for guidance and insight from anyone who has been down this road before I spend $4-5k and several hours on what seems like a solid plan for this car vs throwing another DE rev up engine in her.

MM

Old 12-12-2020, 11:43 PM
G35C M/T
I don't know about the blocks as I'm new to Nissans, but VVEL is Nissan's version of Toyota Valvematic and BMW Valvetronic. The idea is to change duration and lift together by adjusting lost motion in the cam profile. Think of it like a lash adjuster that can almost miss the cam lobe entirely.

The benefit is better fuel economy because with early intake valve closure, it avoids almost all throttle loss at low load. Another benefit is low end torque is better.

The drawback is the extra mechanism adds reciprocating mass to the valvetrain, so it's not as well suited for high rpm (not that that stopped Nissan from putting a high rev limit on it).

I guess it would make sense to swap the HR head on if you want to run it on the 35HR ECU and wiring. Otherwise, it seems to me it would be much easier to use a whole VQ37 engine.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by C_infty
I don't know about the blocks as I'm new to Nissans, but VVEL is Nissan's version of Toyota Valvematic and BMW Valvetronic. The idea is to change duration and lift together by adjusting lost motion in the cam profile. Think of it like a lash adjuster that can almost miss the cam lobe entirely.

The benefit is better fuel economy because with early intake valve closure, it avoids almost all throttle loss at low load. Another benefit is low end torque is better.

The drawback is the extra mechanism adds reciprocating mass to the valvetrain, so it's not as well suited for high rpm (not that that stopped Nissan from putting a high rev limit on it).

I guess it would make sense to swap the HR head on if you want to run it on the 35HR ECU and wiring. Otherwise, it seems to me it would be much easier to use a whole VQ37 engine.
If it weren't for the wiring/ecu headaches & added cost I've learned about, I would definitely swap the 37VHR in. That was my original plan. Really just comes down to what your budget is and what features you want to work in your car. For my needs and intentions, I wasn't interested in investing another $3K into this project. I stood to gain very little.

MM

Old 12-13-2020, 12:06 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The problem is always CANBUS, swapping from one generation to the next means literally nothing talks to itself anymore because it operates at a different bit rate.

As for weighing the benefits of the VHR, the DE is capable of a safe daily driven 600whp. The HR is capable of a safe daily driven 750whp. Both are capable of around 1200whp max for track use only. The VHR offers no real benefit that would justify the extra work to make the CANBUS issues worth the effort. If your chassis came with the VHR as the factory option then run with it. If you chassis came with the DE or HR as the factory option then run with it unless you really NEED that extra 150whp potential as a daily driver.

VVEL is only a benefit when operating at (or slightly above) stock horsepower levels and is usually disabled for anything making EDIT: BIG power.

As for the 3 year old question the OP was asking, the money and TIME would be better spent on weight reduction and other chassis improvements rather than a measly 30hp. Boost the DE, rev-up engines aren't actually hard to find, but you will probably need to pay an extra $200 delivery.

Last edited by cleric670; 12-16-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:40 PM
G35C M/T
Oh yea, CANBUS is a problem. I don't really see how the extra 0.2L from the 37 is worth the trouble because the HR is better suited for high rpm.

There shouldn't be a reason to disable VVEL unless you're running higher than stock rpm, assuming the ECU doesn't do any "requested torque" comparison shenanigans that would make it go crazy with a turbo attached. If pedal position and rpm translates into a cam and lift position, it will work perfectly with some slight adjustments to the WOT setting to compensate for intake resonance under boost. Throttle response and fuel efficiency should be better with VVEL, particularly if you have a passive wastegate.

Last edited by C_infty; 12-13-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Sorry I didn't mean "bigger" power, I meant like BIG BIG power. Any type of cam timing adjustment when you're pushing a BLOCK to the extreme is another variable part to fail and kaboom. Strictly racecar stuff though 800whp and up usually with huge valves, domed pistons, and high duration cams. For almost every other situation you're going to leave it functioning.

Cam locking kits exist for a reason Most people will never need one though. Big big cams with adjustable phasers is a recipe for disaster since they can actually be advanced far enough with the stock phaser to smash oversized valves to the pistons. Locking kit removes any potential for this to happen. Cars like this don't NEED low end power so no need for variable cam timing.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35s
Originally Posted by Monster Mike
Great post and I am in a similar boat with a 05 G35 6MT and a blown rev up engine.

really close to pulling the trigger on a VQ35HR from an 07 350z with the 6MT attached

found a VQ37VHR short block I want to add to this equation

Guilty Garage is providing the wiring harness & ECU and I’m using there FAQ page to do the swap.

jumped on the forum for guidance and insight from anyone who has been down this road before I spend $4-5k and several hours on what seems like a solid plan for this car vs throwing another DE rev up engine in her.

MM

hello I’m currently working on the same , 2007 G35s car putting a 2011 g37 engine in it. Wondering what engine harness to use ? The g35 or g37 or will i need something else ?