Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Installation on Injen CAI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 07:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installation on Injen CAI?

I've ordered my Injen today... Before it gets here I would like to know how many of you done the installation by urself. Was it easy? I heard some parts need to be removed where the filter is gonna be at...what are they? Any tip or suggestion is welcome...

2004 G35 Coupe 5AT
Black/Graphite Ltr
Tire Pkg

Old 10-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Installation on Injen CAI?

Let me know how it works out for you because I was interested in buying one myself but decided not to when I read their small print which reads:

"Injen Technology Cold Air Intake Systems should be removed in any wet climates or on any wet roads or highways. Failure to comply with the above warnings may cause water to be absorbed into the engine through the filter causing serious damage to your motor. Injen Technology Co., Ltd. assumes no liability for damages toy your motor due to water entering your engine through the Injen intake system. Although a bypass valve may be used on most systems, it will void warranty and the C.A.R.B. EO# at this time."

My only question then is if this is true for all CAI's or just Injens?

One Step Ahead of the Rest

Old 10-16-2003, 10:59 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get the Stillen HiFlow AirBox instead, You will have none
of those problems. Be sure to couple it with the 350Z intake
duct and you will ge getting about the same HP increase
as with the Injen.

2003 Twilight Blue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards,
DB/GroundingGear red 12 wire Hyper-grounding kit,
350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox

Old 10-16-2003, 12:12 PM

It's called hydro-lock.
That was one of the reasons I went with Stillen instead of Injen. Though, I've never seen anyone post that this has actually happened. I'm completely happy with my Stillen.

Old 10-16-2003, 12:19 PM

Installation is not hard. Turn the steering wheel all the way over to the right. Disconnect negative terminal on the car battery, remove all parts of stock intake using proper tools. Remove plastic pins in the front left plastic fender wall. Install Injen using instructions provided in the box. Finally, push the filter passed the plastic fender wall by pulling a bit on it so that it opens up enough for the filter to fit in. Then install the filter and replug the negative terminal back onto the battery. Start the car and let it idle for about 5 mins and then take it out for a drive. You'll love the sound. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In terms of the bypass water filter, that is just a precaution that Injen states so that they don't get in trouble if anything does happen to your car. Water entering the intake and up to the throttle body can happen to anyone with a CAI. The good thing about the G35 is that the front has a cover at the bottom, so virtually no water may enter to even touch the filter. I however, will be customing my own short ram during winter.

It's still a G thang!!

Old 10-16-2003, 09:59 PM

if you want ill do it for you, its real easy dude. Ill charge you of cource LOL But get it i love mine.

2004 Diamond Graphite G35 Coupe 6MT, Premium Package, Aero Package, DVD Nav

Old 10-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...good one! I believe it applies to all the aftermarket cold air system in which water can never be suck into the engine or something funny gonna happen...lol! To solve that problem...I'll just not driving when its raining...lol. j/k Actually I've also ordered something which might at least protect the filter...the heat shield! With that...the water level gotta be knee high to have it sucked in. I don't think anyone is that dumb to drive over a pile of water with CAI installed on their car...hehe.

2004 G35 Coupe 5AT
Black/Graphite Ltr
Tire Pkg

Old 10-18-2003, 01:34 AM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Foremost, HDRO-LOCK is when NOTHING BUT water enters your engine, and I'm talking like you drove through a pond or river type of water. Hydro lock is rare if not impossible in rain and snow conditions, unless of course you just so happen to drive through a 4 foot puddle and stop in the middle of it, and quite frankly if you do just that, you shouldn't be driving a car such as a G and ultimately worry about aftermarket intakes...

The Injen CAI intake is designed for optimum air flow, thus its location at the bottom of the front bumper where it gets full and direct flow of cold "dense" air. This obviously is a concearn to many, but let me clear this issue once and for all.

I have the Injen CAI intake system on my G Coupe, and I have driven it through all sorts of rain storms, from just a sprinkle, to a full blown down pour, and have experienced NO problems what so ever! The ONLY problem with the system is the fact that it requires constant cleaning. I find myself cleaning the unit once every 2 to 3 weeks. It gets dirty FAST! You need to remove the filter, wash it out and then re oil it. I have the K&N recharge kit and it gets the job done 100%. The filter element itself, really won't soak up water (AS LONG AS YOU KEEP UP WITH ITS MAINTENCE) due to it's oil content. At high speeds in the rain, water that hits the filter, actually begins to beed off. It's not forced or sucked in. Once again the only time this would be a problem is if you sat in a huge puddle, high enough to cover that whole front bumper and let the filter soak everything in.

So if you're worried about water from rain or snow getting, don't! As for Injens warning, they have to protect themselve, due to the many idiots out there who just may do something as driv through a 4 foot high puddle...

Installation wise, you DON'T have to remove the front bumper! You can gain just enough access by going through the front driver side wheel.

Last but not least, I didn't install my intake for the HP figures they claim to give, but rather for the sweet sound it makes under hard acceleration. Come on, what an intimadation factor is that, huh? I love it!