Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

MAF Housing Broke! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Florida G35 Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF Housing Broke! Please Help!

Help PLEASE!!! I am a total idiot, I am in need of a MAF Housing for a G35 coupe, although I am sure they are the same for both the coupe and sedan.
I was installing a Pop Charger and accidently cracked the bottom two bolt brackets on the housing.

So to anyone out there who has installed a CAI and has this piece laying around please help me out! Infinity / Nissan says that I can only buy it with the MAF which means they want my first born child

Here is a picture of the installation withe the piece circled in RED.
[IMG][/IMG]

please PM, or post as I will be checking this often. Thank you!

Old 02-22-2007, 11:42 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That looks like the Stillen HiFlow AirBox, not the PopCharger. The MAF is going to cost you around $900. This really hurts..... Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Florida G35 Club

The picture is just an example to show the part that I broke. It is a good picture that I hijacked from somewhere else. As far as the MAF, it is ok, I only need the HOUSING. But the dealership only sells it as a together. Which means it is a $550 part

Old 02-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
fix the housing

Old 02-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Get a different intake tube that goes all the way from the throttle body to the Stillen air box. It will have a spot to mount the MAF and it'll look a lot better than your carbon fiber tube attached to the stock MAF housing. There are several available at reasonable prices. Let me know if you want to see mine (polished stainless) and I'll post a picture. (And to those that will say that any kind of metal intake will produce hot air going into the engine, it's hogwash. The air travels too fast to heat up. I've never even experienced a rough idle in 100+ degree Texas days)

This is what I have and I love it: http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...G35CoupeIntake

Last edited by CouperDouper; 02-23-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Florida G35 Club

Talking

thankyou so much you rock! I am ordering this tomorrow! then I can sell my cf z-tube to pay for this.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by CouperDouper
(And to those that will say that any kind of metal intake will produce hot air going into the engine, it's hogwash. The air travels too fast to heat up. I've never even experienced a rough idle in 100+ degree Texas days)
Well it's not hogwash because at slower speeds and at a stop, the intake air temp will skyrocket. The higher intake temp will retard timing and richen the fuel mixture therefore reducing power. You won't notice any change in idle though. The ECU is very quick to compensate for conditions. If metal intake pipes didn't make a difference, you'd see expensive cars like Ferrari's and Lambos using metal intake pipes.

Last edited by DaveB; 02-24-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Well it's not hogwash because at slower speeds and at a stop, the intake air temp will skyrocket. The higher intake temp will retard timing and richen the fuel mixture therefore reducing power. You won't notice any change in idle though. The ECU is very quick to compensate for conditions. If metal intake pipes didn't make a difference, you'd see expensive cars like Ferrari's and Lambos using metal intake pipes.
Skyrocket?? Have you actually measured the intake temperature? Even if it is a bit warmer, like you said, the ECU is very quick to compensate for conditions, thus, not really a problem. (I doubt if most of us sit at stop lights worrying whether we're putting out 287HP or 286HP because the intake temperature has gone up). I would be willing to bet that the difference is no more than what is experienced on a hot day versus a cold day...

Old 02-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by CouperDouper
Skyrocket?? Have you actually measured the intake temperature? Even if it is a bit warmer, like you said, the ECU is very quick to compensate for conditions, thus, not really a problem. (I doubt if most of us sit at stop lights worrying whether we're putting out 287HP or 286HP because the intake temperature has gone up). I would be willing to bet that the difference is no more than what is experienced on a hot day versus a cold day...
Yes, I have an ODBII datalogger program on my laptop which allows me to view numerous parameters like intake temp in real time. I've done tests various intake setups including one that emmulates a POP style intake. At a stop and at a slow roll, intake temps with the POP style skyrocketed somewhere around 50 degrees over ambient (120 degrees+) where as the stock intake only saw an increase of around 10 degrees over ambient. You could also see the timing advance being dialed back as the intake temps rose. Not until around 40mph did the intake temps on all setups drop to within a few degrees of ambient. With a metal intake pipe, the intake temps will be even higher. Don't forget that the MAF sensor will be mounted directly to the heat soaked metal pipe therefore the heat is going to be tranmitted to the MAF sensor which is turn will heat the element which will give false temp readings.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:36 PM
cafetwkr,

Why not use a plastic-specific glue and fix the MAF?

Old 02-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you change the MAF element or housing you must recalibrate the ecu to maintain an idealized idle. Follow directions in FSM.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Q45Tech - is re-calibrating the ECU the same as an ECU re-set?

Last edited by CouperDouper; 02-25-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Florida G35 Club

DaveB, thank you for the info. I havn't ordered the metal pipe... reconsidering

Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 AM
Florida G35 Club

What do you think of this option?

Old 02-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Much better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MAF Housing Broke! Please Help!