Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

How to mate a Generic Velocity stack to our stock Intake Pipes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Hai, you find a big cone that will fit into the oem box?

Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont want to use any old V Stack, but use this one(one pictured above) mated to the Z Tube! LOL

I am planning on hacking the stock airbox, like cutting a square around it, so i can fit the MAFsensor and the connection to it for the V-stack so it sits in the air box, this is the plan, hopefully it fits!

Thats as far as i thought it through right now. I have to get my hands on the piece that comes in Injen Filters unless someone has thought a way around that....

And just to reiterate, its 3inches diamter right on the MAF tube??

Old 07-25-2008, 07:22 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats as far as i thought it through right now. I have to get my hands on the piece that comes in Injen Filters unless someone has thought a way around that....
see my post above. i have an extra maf housing you can buy and hack up!!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Hehehe. I am thinking about it....

How much do you want for it?

Old 07-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BolivianFuego
I dont want to use any old V Stack, but use this one(one pictured above) mated to the Z Tube! LOL

I am planning on hacking the stock airbox, like cutting a square around it, so i can fit the MAFsensor and the connection to it for the V-stack so it sits in the air box, this is the plan, hopefully it fits!

And just to reiterate, its 3inches diamter right on the MAF tube??
The stock airbox is too small to fit a good sized filter on there, you have to do some cutting and fiberglassing to extend some areas. I would then cut out the entire back of the airbox, and remove the stock "velocity stack", and then fiberglass a plate to the back of the plastic velocity stack so it mates right up against it, and then once you position it to the stock airbox, fiberglass the two halves together. Its going to take alot of work, too much for me right now so I haven't done it, but I've already thought this throught pretty well

Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Hai, you find a big cone that will fit into the oem box?
Not really

Old 07-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
The stock airbox is too small to fit a good sized filter on there, you have to do some cutting and fiberglassing to extend some areas. I would then cut out the entire back of the airbox, and remove the stock "velocity stack", and then fiberglass a plate to the back of the plastic velocity stack so it mates right up against it, and then once you position it to the stock airbox, fiberglass the two halves together. Its going to take alot of work, too much for me right now so I haven't done it, but I've already thought this throught pretty well
To Redlude and the OP.. please keep posting on what you guys are trying to do.... this is very interesting. i really like what you guys are trying to do

Old 07-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by nghiars
To Redlude and the OP.. please keep posting on what you guys are trying to do.... this is very interesting. i really like what you guys are trying to do
I'll try. Right now i gotta fix a couple things on the G' so this might take a couple months.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
FYI this isn't a Honda. No matter the intake, you'll get 2-3hp MAX out of an intake. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get any HP increase. They'll all just for sound.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Question

Originally Posted by redlude97
BTW, the 06 G35 air box also comes with an OEM velocity stack
Really? I thought the 06 350Z had the velocity stack. Does anyone have pics of this? Thanks.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i consider something like this as well, but i just dont feel like doing it, i also gave up on a doing a cone filter and have just considered making a large enough box to fill up the intake corner of the engine bay and using a large flat panel filter thats common to get in-store.

I also considered having a V-stack in it too and then just have it all mate to the OEM maf and Nismo piping. The box would draw air from the OEM locations as well.

Maybe one day I will get enough wood and mock it up, but still I just dont feel like it at the moment.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Canadian
FYI this isn't a Honda. No matter the intake, you'll get 2-3hp MAX out of an intake. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get any HP increase. They'll all just for sound.

Its funny, because i hear people say this alot around this forum, but i have yet to even see a back to back dyno testing of stock vs. intakes on any dyno's period!

Where did you get your information? Or are you just going with the flow and agreeing that intakes dont do jack?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Frostydc4
Really? I thought the 06 350Z had the velocity stack. Does anyone have pics of this? Thanks.
+1. The stock airboxes on all Gs come with small velocity stacks, but the 06 350Z airbox has a stack probably 3 times the size. Lots of 03-05 Z owners swap in the 06 airboxes. However, I don't think I've seen a dyno comparing the two different setups. As far as I've read, the 05 and 06 Z's make the same whp/wtq which suggests to me the revised stack isn't doing much.

What a G owner could do is buy an 06 Z airbox and pop out the velocity stack plate and swap it into their G's airbox. I've thought about doing it, but I'd almost rather spend the money on a used Stillen airbox and fabbing it so that I make it completely sealed like the factory airbox.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Haha Wowww an intake project hahaha, this isn't a honda first of all, and there is no point on doing what you are trying to do. Just go buy an after market intake and call it a day. I don't know how the hell it works with a honda, slapping on custom intake crap and makes it go faster, intakes barely make a difference in hp on our cars, it's 2 totally different cars. Stop what you're trying to do and buy an after market intake, if not you're just wasting your time, period and thats my opinion and I'm done with it.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BolivianFuego
Its funny, because i hear people say this alot around this forum, but i have yet to even see a back to back dyno testing of stock vs. intakes on any dyno's period!

Where did you get your information? Or are you just going with the flow and agreeing that intakes dont do jack?
It's funny, because I've seen people do stock 1/4 runs, then do it when an intake, and their times are lower. I'm sure I've seen a dyno or two, but can't recall off the top of my head. Also, I've been here a lot longer than you have and I see this type of thread appear weekly. I have read/seen/and experienced on my OWN regarding this. You will NOT get more than 2-3HP from an intake.

You think the Infiniti engineers wouldn't make the intake as good as it can be, considering it wouldn't cost them anything to change it?

If you don't believe me, go ahead and ask. I guarantee you anyone that has been here as long as I have will 100% agree.

I have also seen an 04 Z with every bolt on mod possible with no tune dyno at 240whp. It probably dynoed 230whp stock.

G35Rider92649 hit the nail on the head. Please read/research before you bitch and say you've never seen a dyno, you've been here for less than a year...I guarantee you haven't seen as many "which intake is better, what can I do for more power" threads.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to mate a Generic Velocity stack to our stock Intake Pipes?