Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

How to mate a Generic Velocity stack to our stock Intake Pipes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:58 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Frostydc4
Really? I thought the 06 350Z had the velocity stack. Does anyone have pics of this? Thanks.
Originally Posted by DaveB
+1. The stock airboxes on all Gs come with small velocity stacks, but the 06 350Z airbox has a stack probably 3 times the size. Lots of 03-05 Z owners swap in the 06 airboxes. However, I don't think I've seen a dyno comparing the two different setups. As far as I've read, the 05 and 06 Z's make the same whp/wtq which suggests to me the revised stack isn't doing much.

What a G owner could do is buy an 06 Z airbox and pop out the velocity stack plate and swap it into their G's airbox. I've thought about doing it, but I'd almost rather spend the money on a used Stillen airbox and fabbing it so that I make it completely sealed like the factory airbox.
So do 06 6mt Revups, I would assume that its also on the 05 revups as well.
06(L)/03(R)

Old 07-27-2008, 02:22 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
06(L)/03(R)

I'm assuming that's a G35 6MT revup airbox? If so, sweet! I may consider trying to find someone selling one of these 06 airboxes.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06(L)/03(R)
Thanks for the pics. Do you want to sell me your airbox ?

I'm off to the dealer to order a 2006 airbox.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Any gains made by the velocity stack would be negated by heat soak from losing the OEM air box. BTW, the 06 G35 air box also comes with an OEM velocity stack, so just pick up one of those and run it with a k&n. If you really want to DIY, then pick up that velocity stack, and custom mold it into the OEM airbox, then enlarge the OEM airbox to clear a cone filter and you'll have the ultimate intake IMO. I've already planned to do this, and found all the parts, but have just not had the time to do it.
+1^

That is a lot of work for little gain. Believe me, I understand the joy of completing custom mods... But with all my hobbies and now a little one, I have to be efficient with my time . There is a lot of experience listed on this and 350Z forums to take advantage of.

In any case, have fun and keep us updated on your progress. Especially write about your experience and gains (butt dyno or otherwise).

Old 07-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canadian
It's funny, because I've seen people do stock 1/4 runs, then do it when an intake, and their times are lower. I'm sure I've seen a dyno or two, but can't recall off the top of my head. Also, I've been here a lot longer than you have and I see this type of thread appear weekly. I have read/seen/and experienced on my OWN regarding this. You will NOT get more than 2-3HP from an intake.

You think the Infiniti engineers wouldn't make the intake as good as it can be, considering it wouldn't cost them anything to change it?

If you don't believe me, go ahead and ask. I guarantee you anyone that has been here as long as I have will 100% agree.

I have also seen an 04 Z with every bolt on mod possible with no tune dyno at 240whp. It probably dynoed 230whp stock.

G35Rider92649 hit the nail on the head. Please read/research before you bitch and say you've never seen a dyno, you've been here for less than a year...I guarantee you haven't seen as many "which intake is better, what can I do for more power" threads.
Not that I am agreeing or disagreeing, but would like to point out that:

1) There are a multitude of variables involved in drag racing, so I would be relucatant to use drag data
2) Automotive manufacturers have to balance alot of issues, many of which will compromise engine output
3) Comparing a "every bolt-on, no-tune" to a stock provides little value either, as the more bolt-ons you throw at a car the more necessary a tune becomes, as fuel and timing maps will generally need more adjustments.

My frustration is the "g35driver veterans" tend to give this same canned response you have given. I have combed through this site over and over looking for dyno data, proof, facts, and sadly I could not find them. Everything I would dig up was unsubstatiated comments. Dyno data on this site? Ha, what a joke. Heck I started the following thread hoping to turn up some data, and found nothing:

https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust/200850-where-s-beef.html

If you know of dyno data, can you please post it up. It would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Bryan,
Your post you linked, that is the guy you WANT to listen to.

It is very frustrating to see posts appear almost daily that are along the "what is the best xxxxx to get". If there was a "best" intake that generated the gains that you or BolivianFuego expect to see then I would think that in the 6 years the G/Z has been out that someone would have made it by now. I'm not suggesting you don't do your research, I just think you will be disappointed in the end. My advice, save the money you are spending on R&D and get the one type of intake that is proven to work....FORCED INDUCTION.

BTW, there are intake mods that have been proven to help substantially. The MREV and spacer combo are extremely popular and have been independently dyno tested to show gains across the board.

I think the consensus will tell you to go for the MREV, Spacer, and either JWT popcharger/Stillen Airbox/ or Z-tube w/ k&n filter drop in.

Good luck and let us know how your research goes.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:02 PM
My350Z has a lot of dynos. Some of them are done properly (as far as before and after on the same dyno, similar conditions, etc.); however, there are more that leave more questions than answers.

Yeah, the search engines seem to miss the thread you are looking for if the query is not spot on...

Old 07-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, but exactly how much extra power are you expecting this to give you?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, believe people when they tell you about intakes. What the G does benefit from is the plenum spacer + MREV. THIS is where you need to focus. The stock intake is really, really efficient. I don't know why this is so fvucking hard for you to believe. Bolivian Fuego, you've posted countless threads already about the fvcking intake. GET OVER IT DUDE and move on to an important mod.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
OP, believe people when they tell you about intakes. What the G does benefit from is the plenum spacer + MREV. THIS is where you need to focus. The stock intake is really, really efficient. I don't know why this is so fvucking hard for you to believe. Bolivian Fuego, you've posted countless threads already about the fvcking intake. GET OVER IT DUDE and move on to an important mod.

+91564354681846814681871464246815168137146871

I couldn't have said it better!

MREV & Spacer, I haven't heard a single person complain yet.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by twin001
I'm not suggesting you don't do your research, I just think you will be disappointed in the end.
You may be absolutely right, but I need to find out for myself either through digging up the proof or my own testing. I have alternative motives driving my persuit also.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BryanPendleton
Not that I am agreeing or disagreeing, but would like to point out that:

1) There are a multitude of variables involved in drag racing, so I would be relucatant to use drag data
2) Automotive manufacturers have to balance alot of issues, many of which will compromise engine output
3) Comparing a "every bolt-on, no-tune" to a stock provides little value either, as the more bolt-ons you throw at a car the more necessary a tune becomes, as fuel and timing maps will generally need more adjustments.

My frustration is the "g35driver veterans" tend to give this same canned response you have given. I have combed through this site over and over looking for dyno data, proof, facts, and sadly I could not find them. Everything I would dig up was unsubstatiated comments. Dyno data on this site? Ha, what a joke. Heck I started the following thread hoping to turn up some data, and found nothing:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200850

If you know of dyno data, can you please post it up. It would be greatly appreciated.
There are Stillen CAI dyno plots on this site, but I agree, they're hard to find. I will try to dig up at least one for you. I have yet to see a Stillen or other intake dyno that shows a worthwhile power gain (i.e. useable power).

Old 07-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Please post them up!! Dyno plots!

I contacted Bryan but now see you own a G35 too! LOL

Good to know!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by BolivianFuego
I contacted Bryan but now see you own a G35 too! LOL
The G Coupe is a very nice car, but I still miss my 2500lb 180whp civic. I prefer small lightweight cars, and the G just feels heavy, but compared to the civic its a pimpin ride. Leather, electric windows heated seats, electric locks, and the best thing of all, rear wheel drive. For whatever reason the country-boy-turbo-diesel-driving-cult no longer tries to race me at every stop light. Eventually would like to trade up or is it down to a Lotus Elise. 2000lb of screaming, fuel sippin, tossable bliss.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please post them up!! Dyno plots!
Dude, you're nuts. I'm out of this thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to mate a Generic Velocity stack to our stock Intake Pipes?