Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

How to mate a Generic Velocity stack to our stock Intake Pipes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2008 | 02:24 PM
|
^^Hehe. I would, but im sorta broke, so any donation would be appreciated.

Also i would need people to let me borrow their intakes so i can test them, i am located in springfield VA, if there is any local G' owners that want to let me borrow their intakes to test, or you can ship me your intake and i can ship it back after testing!

Old 08-18-2008 | 04:19 PM
Staff Alumni
Staff Alumni
Bryan never responded to my offer of free dyno time. Too bad.

Back-to-back runs this past Friday showed that throughout the powerband, the stillen airbox cost me 6.87hp and 6.35tq. Here's a post thoroughly explaining the details: https://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-d...k-vs-mrev.html

Old 08-19-2008 | 12:05 AM
|
Damn!! It seemse like my dyno testing probably is never going to happen.

Yea he doesnt come on herer much, i think the better option would be to email him.

Old 08-19-2008 | 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Bryan never responded to my offer of free dyno time. Too bad.

Back-to-back runs this past Friday showed that throughout the powerband, the stillen airbox cost me 6.87hp and 6.35tq. Here's a post thoroughly explaining the details: https://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-d...k-vs-mrev.html
Trey, when di you try and contact me. I can find no coorespondance?

Old 08-19-2008 | 12:26 PM
Staff Alumni
Staff Alumni
I'm sorry Bryan. I didn't attempt any form of direct correspondence; I made the offer in this thread. Not a big deal that it got missed though.

Old 08-19-2008 | 02:50 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Staff Alumni
Yawn..... Wake me up when this intake thread is finished.

Old 08-19-2008 | 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by cato
Yawn..... Wake me up when this intake thread is finished.

AGREED

Old 08-19-2008 | 02:59 PM
|
LOL This thread basically is done. I came to the realization that no one in this thread or the other i started is really willing to lend me their intake for testing, and if they are they want some form of payment to hold while i borrow it. I'd be down, but i could barely afford the dyno time lol

With that said this thread is basically done i'd assume.

Old 08-19-2008 | 03:43 PM
^^^ Why don’t you offer your gizmo to someone that has what you are trying to compare against and have them dyno?...

Old 08-20-2008 | 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by BolivianFuego
LOL This thread basically is done. I came to the realization that no one in this thread or the other i started is really willing to lend me their intake for testing, and if they are they want some form of payment to hold while i borrow it. I'd be down, but i could barely afford the dyno time lol

With that said this thread is basically done i'd assume.
Do you really think people are going to loan out their intakes to someone they don't know halfway across the country If you really have some marvelous intake modification idea, then you're going to have to spend the money R&Ding the design. It shouldn't be up to the rest of us to support you. If you really think this velocity stack idea is where it's at, you should pick up a used 05/06 Revup airbox which has a much larger velocity stack than the 03/04 and 05/06 automatic airboxes. Of course my research about velocity stacks says that they're really not designed to improve power, especially if the OEM intake is already well designed. That probably won't stop me to try one out though because Nissan saw fit to add a bigger VS to the Revup airboxes. It must be there to improve driveability of the heavier breathing Revup intake manifold probably doesn't flow really well below 3000rpms. The VS may improve throttle response, MAF readings, or lowend power. It's worth trying out. A new Revup airbox (just the back cover) is $88 vs $58 for the non-Revup cover.

Old 08-20-2008 | 12:52 PM
|
Originally Posted by OCG35
^^^ Why don’t you offer your gizmo to someone that has what you are trying to compare against and have them dyno?...
LOL Its not mine, i just had a gut feeling it would work on G35's over alot of the options out there.

The one who did make the intake option i praise posted on this thread, Bryan Pendelton. He is the one that would be doing the loaning of it, as hes got it all there with him.
Originally Posted by DaveB
Do you really think people are going to loan out their intakes to someone they don't know halfway across the country If you really have some marvelous intake modification idea, then you're going to have to spend the money R&Ding the design. It shouldn't be up to the rest of us to support you. If you really think this velocity stack idea is where it's at, you should pick up a used 05/06 Revup airbox which has a much larger velocity stack than the 03/04 and 05/06 automatic airboxes. Of course my research about velocity stacks says that they're really not designed to improve power, especially if the OEM intake is already well designed. That probably won't stop me to try one out though because Nissan saw fit to add a bigger VS to the Revup airboxes. It must be there to improve driveability of the heavier breathing Revup intake manifold probably doesn't flow really well below 3000rpms. The VS may improve throttle response, MAF readings, or lowend power. It's worth trying out. A new Revup airbox (just the back cover) is $88 vs $58 for the non-Revup cover.
I am not the maker if this intake, i just believe in it. I am a consumer just like you, who buys parts for my g35.

I just saw what that intake option did for hondas, stock, or highly modified and no matter what made power over other intake options. Engines are engines, and i feel it would be no different on a G35.

And yes i dont blame others for not wanting to let me borrow their intakes, thats why i started a thread and asked for local users.

And also, no offense but i dont believe a think said on here about performance, because most members(not neccessarily you) on this site, to me are like sheep. They follow the words of threads and heresay as truth, no dynosheets, nothing i have seen on this site to support little claims on something as simple as an intake.

I wanted to clear all this up, and see what makes power compared to what doesnt, if my idea of that V-stack/filter option didnt work big deal! You live and you learn. So far the only good dyno sheets i have seen was that of the Stillen intake vs. Stock done by Trey' and that was proven. I applaud that. And that is what members should be looking for when answering questions on what makes power or not.

Old 09-02-2008 | 03:53 PM
i half-heartedly apologize for bringin this thread up again but I did some tinkering with my air intake setup, but i must apologize because I have no dynos of either setup to proof against one another, just the butt!

I've had three different intake setups on my car in the last 2-weeks. Stock, Nismo in short ram configuration, and now most recently nismo short tubing with OEM gen-1 box with new purolator premium paper filter.

Stock was stock, going from stock to nismo was louder and felt more responsive when I first did it 3 months ago. I then went back to stock recently for some dealer service. I instantly felt the sluggishness return (new filter in place).

As I was putting things back to modified, I decided to toy with it a little bit and I now have my stock air box back in but with the nismo air tube. its louder than stock, but quieter than Nismo with cone filter. The response between the two in the pedal feels about the same, both better than stock.

Im still curious though what more can be improved upon, so Im also running it without the lower sound box in the fender well. Felt/heard no change. I'm curious though if I were to cut a sizeable slotted hole into the lower box if it would act as a lower suction point for more cooler air. My other alternative is to make a new piece that is better shaped than the OEM-lower box for the same purpose.

Once I do that, i think the only other thing I will consider doing is looking into the upgraded gen-2 velocity stack if I find one cheap enough (although new isn't too bad either) in addition to smoothing out the internal box shape by cutting away all of the ribs in the air box.

Any thoughts or opinions on any of this? I know is fairly useless info as I do not have any dynos to proove anything, so, sorry.

pictures to come tonight to clear some things up.

Old 09-02-2008 | 09:58 PM
here are the pictures.

This first picture barely shows how I had it setup before, you can almost see where the Nismo supplied filter begins, its roughly right where the oem box goes, no shielding whatsoever.

These are the pictures of how it is now, nismo tube plus oem box, no lower chamber (not visible obviously):

These below are the stock lower chamber vs what I can make at work (be nice, it was a 5-min mock up in SW-08):

Right now the new lower portion I made up would just draw air from the wheel/bumper area. I haven't taken the time or made the effort to try and make a ram-air type scoop and may never will as I imagine air from that area is significantly cooler than from the engine compartment.

Old 09-04-2008 | 05:06 PM
|
They key would be if you could tell how cool the air was at WOT on a hard pull, vs. stock to your ram air design. Intake Air Readings would tell alot!

Old 02-18-2012 | 01:58 AM
I'm sorry to revive a 3 year old thread but I couldn't hold my tongue. A lot of you people are the reason I absolutely hate the G/Z community. Never giving real help and are quick to shout out a product that they heardwas the best and gives most power. I'm sure some of you know this, although it isnt showing in this thread, modding a car isn't always about PEAK horsepower but where in the rev band the power comes at and how you're able to utilize that power. What good is 20+whp if it only comes in the last 100rpm.

BolivianFuego's idea is what modifying cars is all about. Make custom ****, tinker with your engine and try to get the most power in the revs you want them to be in. All the while we have people blindly shouting out brand names like Stillen and Injen. Both are great companies, and I have nothing against them, but why pay 250$~ when you can make something similar for less than 50$ and still achieve similar results. Our reliance on brand names is the reason why some companies think they can **** us over by selling us crap hoping we'll be content with it. Hot rodders of the past would be dissapointed in what modifying cars have become.

This isn't directed at everyone here but it is to a good amount of you guys.

/rant

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to mate a Generic Velocity stack to our stock Intake Pipes?