Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

350Z HR Y-pipe installed on a 2003 G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DeafBringer
That's easily doable. Any gains? Why do people not post their results? so frustrating on this forum.
I have found that most people on this forum care nothing for performance and only care for what they perceive as "cool" or "sick".
So they get mods for their "butt dyno" but never bother to dyno or tune their cars and mostly just randomly waste money for no gains because either looks or sound.

Unfortunately aftermarket companies know this too and as such some of them make parts which make 0 gains but just change the sound of the car.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:40 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I would generally think that OEM headers would help compared exhaust manifolds. I don't care for peak gains, I want gains via torque and low/mid-range.

I can't afford a SC kit anytime soon so I want to pick up little things while I can and start piecing them together.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by DeafBringer
I would generally think that OEM headers would help compared exhaust manifolds. I don't care for peak gains, I want gains via torque and low/mid-range.

I can't afford a SC kit anytime soon so I want to pick up little things while I can and start piecing them together.
SC kits aren't really worth it for the gains vs the cost.

I have slowly been picking out parts here and there, if you want some tips on how to make some good gains on the cheap feel free to send me a PM and I will detail them.

The following users liked this post:
DeafBringer (01-26-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I know this is a old thread but I'm having issues finding a HR Y-Pipe and Coupe Mid Pipe. Same for the Z Tube and Air Box. Anyone got a link to a source. Seems these things now are basically just a needle in a haystack

Old 09-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Swaglife81
I know this is a old thread but I'm having issues finding a HR Y-Pipe and Coupe Mid Pipe. Same for the Z Tube and Air Box. Anyone got a link to a source. Seems these things now are basically just a needle in a haystack
I have a 04 coupe midpipe.
But there are not many HR Y-pipes around these days.
Mostly they are rare and only sold on ebay.

The Z-tube is made by Stillen and you can just buy one on amazon or ebay from Stillen (some other brands use a crappy silicone which isn't as good as the original plastic).
The airbox well its basically the same but once again either ebay or a junkyard. I actually have an original coupe 04 airbox assembly too.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Googled this topic and found this interesting: http://www.6mt.net/forum/g35-coupe/3...pe-rev-up.html The guy says the HR Y pipe had negative effect on his top end. Can anyone here who has done the mod give thoughts on that?

(Apologies if it's been covered or debated in this thread, but this thread is super long and I need to get some sleep. zzzz)

Old 10-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by 03IP
Googled this topic and found this interesting: http://www.6mt.net/forum/g35-coupe/3...pe-rev-up.html The guy says the HR Y pipe had negative effect on his top end. Can anyone here who has done the mod give thoughts on that?

(Apologies if it's been covered or debated in this thread, but this thread is super long and I need to get some sleep. zzzz)
I abondoned this idea actually and went with a G37 muffer &Magnaflow resonated X-Pipe instead with 2.25 piping all the way back.
I gained in the top end and the midrange and lost nothing in the low end.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:14 AM
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts

Is this the Hr Y pipe? The link of the pucture is broken on page 1.
Ive read ut does make somewhat of a difference other than a little louder
Im trying to put this on a 06 g35 rev 6mt (completely stock exhaust)

Old 11-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Yes that is the HR y pipe, it adds a bit in the midrange/top and trades a couple ft-lb in the low end.

The following users liked this post:
Edgarc6789 (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimster480
I abondoned this idea actually and went with a G37 muffer &Magnaflow resonated X-Pipe instead with 2.25 piping all the way back.
I gained in the top end and the midrange and lost nothing in the low end.
I think I've abandoned the idea also and probably gonna go with a budget setup. Not sure what route. I have a 03.5 Sedan and my OCD kills me having exhaust come out to one side. I understand the evap is in the way on the passenger side but I'm really really contemplating a dual center exit setup. Basically by a Coupe catback and a little modding at the muffler shop for a rear center exit. If I'm gonna do it, I want to improve the exhaust in worthwhile amounts.

So you kept your exhaust stock but ran 2.25 from the x-pipe back and had a g37 muffler welded in. Is the resonated X-Pipe the one that looks like a 1-2 muffler? I will probably buy Bassani BX muffler or mufflers.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Swaglife81
I think I've abandoned the idea also and probably gonna go with a budget setup. Not sure what route. I have a 03.5 Sedan and my OCD kills me having exhaust come out to one side. I understand the evap is in the way on the passenger side but I'm really really contemplating a dual center exit setup. Basically by a Coupe catback and a little modding at the muffler shop for a rear center exit. If I'm gonna do it, I want to improve the exhaust in worthwhile amounts.

So you kept your exhaust stock but ran 2.25 from the x-pipe back and had a g37 muffler welded in. Is the resonated X-Pipe the one that looks like a 1-2 muffler? I will probably buy Bassani BX muffler or mufflers.

Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe.

If you send me a PM i can get you the part number.

So yes my exhaust comes from the cats to the X-pipe and then 2.25 pipes from there until the G37 muffler (which has 2.5 inlet, but 2.5 is too big and will make our cars lose power).

I wanted it because the G37 muffler has good back pressure so that you don't compromise the low end TQ and that muffler has internal flaps so that its quiet in low RPM driving.
You end up with stock-like sound / sound level but alot more power.
Overall my exhaust setup gained 10-12WHP across the boards which really helps in the low/midrange.

I first did a Dynomax VT setup with 2.25 piping and a Dynomax VT resonated X-pipe, the Dynomax X-pipe was extremely loud and the VT's killed all the low end TQ because the car made too much exhaust even at low end and they don't offer much back pressure, especially once the flaps open.

After being completely dis-satisfied I changed it up, G37 mufflers are cheap on ebay aswell so that + the X-pipe you can get the 2 parts for under $300 typically and then either cut / weld the pipes yourself or it should be a couple hundred dollars from a local muffler shop to make the piping.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jimster480
Yes that is the HR y pipe, it adds a bit in the midrange/top and trades a couple ft-lb in the low end.

Thank you found one for $40 and $10 to install it wont hurt to try

Old 11-16-2016, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Edgarc6789
Thank you found one for $40 and $10 to install it wont hurt to try
For that price its def worth it!

Old 11-17-2016, 10:13 PM

Just got installed
I dont know if i feel a difference lol

Old 11-18-2016, 10:46 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
You won't. People that say they can feel the increase are out of their minds.........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 350Z HR Y-pipe installed on a 2003 G35