Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Swapped Injen CAI for Z tube

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapped Injen CAI for Z tube

Well after the compelling reading about how the stock intake is pretty well engineered and hard to top performance wise - I thought I would do some tinkering. Having some mods already i wondered what the Injen was really doing for me.

Nissan wanted $100 for that piece of plastic tubing so I just cut the resonater off of my stock tube and plugged the hole with muffler tape and epoxy. It's the same shape now and it sounds better than stock for sure. I got rid of the drain as well. I also opened up the stock opening where it says Power Duct by ripping that piece out. I left the foam out from down in the bumper where the Injen used to suck air and that air is forced into the drain hole where there is no catch now. I also added the K&N drop in!

Overall I wonder still about the performance.. After a reset and a couple runs on the full power ECU map setting and after the K&N went in, things seem like they used to with my Injen, honestly. It seems a slight bit tamer at the shift points that is for sure but the down low seems about the same or ever so slightly more responsive. With the Power Duct piece ripped out there is a better responsiveness and how easy is that to put back if you don't like it?!

The car makes great sounds as opposed to stock tube but I must say I miss those cold starts where the injen rumbled and the higher end noise will be missed sometimes. I thought the Injen sounded a little rough a top end on a WOT run but the noise was addictive overall. While the Z tube is good it's not so great I'm leaving the radio off the way I used to....

Not sure what i'm gonna do.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Injen CAI
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk ex-3500 Tweeter Upgrade/Shock Sensor/H-Liner Under Hood

Old 05-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Re: Swapped Injen CAI for Z tube

Anyone in the area got the OBDII software - Im in philly..I want to see what the various intake's do to the AF ratio...

And who was driving around Metroplex by the Giant Saturday with a Red Coupe and a Stainless exhaust that made it sound like a vette with headers??? Nice - wanna race?

14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by SixFive on 05/24/04 07:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 05-24-2004, 10:26 AM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

wait till you see the dyno day result from orlando. you will see that the stock intake with ztube puts out more than the injen intake.

neff: whens that write up comin?

edit: did you cut off both resonators off the stock tube? cause on the stock one there is one on top and one on bottom.

Daniel

5ATC / DP / Willow / Premium / Aero / Clear Bra / 5% Tint - 30% Windshield / Ground Kit / Clear Corners / Shock Sensor / L.E.D. Hood Lights / Z - Tube / OEM Remote Window Up / VDC Memory<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by SFLG35 on 05/24/04 07:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 05-24-2004, 10:40 AM

Be sure to close the hood when you do the dyno pull.

DaveO

2003 G35 AT Sedan / DP / Willow / Premium / Sport
350Z T-Stat, Engine Cvr & Air Duct / Stillen CAI / Crawford Plenum
GrdGear Kit / TS ECM / E-Fans
Street Edge TC / B&M Cooler / Stillen Exhaust

Old 05-24-2004, 10:46 AM

SixFive, great to hear what people are trying with their intakes. In the end, your research and that of others would yield the optimum performace intake system.
I have been reading the debates that are going on about the intakes and they are making my head spin. That prompted me to do a little reading/research about resonators. From what I read, I gathered that resonators are created to optimize the passage of air inside the intake. I am trying to decipher if the best tube for the G35, really is the stock one. Nissan engineers must have put that resonator in there for a reason other than muffle the sound. Plus the z tubes that we are putting into are engines, are really designed for the 350z and according to what I read, the ECU fuel maps and whatever else are not optimized for it.
I have the popcharger/z tube combo and I love the sound the stock muffler makes with it, but I wonder if the best way to achieve more growl really is on the other end (headers/exhaust) and leave the intake alone the way it is. Well, probably the plenum might be the only thing to change in the front in my opinion unless a ECU reprogram takes place.
I wonder if others have tought along this line? Your comments are welcomed.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:47 AM

Z tube prices are better elsewhere...EverythingG35.com and PerformanceNissanParts.com sell the Z tube for $75 plus minimal shipping. I just installed the Z tube with the K&N filter last week (from stock) and notice a significant difference in sound and power, especially above 3,500 RPM (although I do not know how it compares to the Injen CAI).

2004.5 Infiniti G35 Sedan 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels
(basically Sport Package w/o stiffer suspension), Darkest Tint (this is FL afterall), Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 05-24-2004, 10:48 AM

Yeah cant wait to see the results from Orlando - please share soon...

Also - I heard talk of a 2nd resonator - are you talking about the flat spot on the top of the stock G tube....not sure what that is but when you look in the tube inside it's round all the way through and the flat top looks like it's aesthetic....help if I'm losing it! The opposite side from where the cut resonator is looks like it can't be removed and doesn't really do anything - it would be great to be wrong and have some more sound coming!

14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley

Old 05-24-2004, 02:04 PM

Write up is done. Just waiting on PlatG to host the photo links. Should be out tonight.

BTW, the CAI's did not do as well as JUST THE Z-Tube. The P/C didn't hurt, but the stock air box seemed to hold its own. That's a teezer of what's to come with MUCH more to boot.

300bhp??? We'll see... 5-22-2004

Old 05-24-2004, 03:27 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

SixFive,

You are loosing it! Just yesterday I was showing Jason, a
fellow g35drivers.com member, my old intake duct. You can
definitly see the opening to both top and bottom resonators
in the stock tube.

2003 TwBlue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards, HKS exhaust,
14 wire Grounding kit, 350Z duct, Stillen CAI
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled alum pedals

Old 05-24-2004, 03:32 PM

I figured as much and have plans for tonight's tinkering session already...now that the mower works again...

I guess I need to use light when I look in there! Can't wait to hear it after that gets plugged!

14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley

Old 05-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats this Power Duct mod? Ive seen it in a thread once, but cant find it anymore.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 05-24-2004, 04:18 PM

I forget where the thread is exactly but search for klg35 - he wrote it up

14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley

Old 05-25-2004, 01:22 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the stock air box etc. seems like an excellant set-up. That is probably why little in the way of gains can be demonstrated with the aftermarket CAI's. We have had loads of posts on this board about CAI's, with no real proof of significant benefits. So, I have remained skeptical about CAI's.
The Z tube seems to make logical sense, as it eliminates the resonators and gives a straight path for the air.
I may give the Z tube a try, and since I am approaching time to replace the air cleaner anyway, I will go with the KN drop-in. I am also waiting to see what Grubbs comes up with. They are supposedly developing there own version of a CAI. But I remain skeptical of any real benefits of CAI's over the stock set-up.

Old 05-25-2004, 01:28 PM

After seeing the results from the orlando guys the pop charger may not be any better than just a z tube either. I am determining whether to fund a 6 or 8 run dyno day for my car alone with several intake setups. I need a pop charger and 500 bucks and im there!

14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley

Old 05-25-2004, 03:09 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I agree that the stock air box etc. seems like an excellant set-up. That is probably why little in the way of gains can be demonstrated with the aftermarket CAI's. We have had loads of posts on this board about CAI's, with no real proof of significant benefits. So, I have remained skeptical about CAI's.
The Z tube seems to make logical sense, as it eliminates the resonators and gives a straight path for the air.
I may give the Z tube a try, and since I am approaching time to replace the air cleaner anyway, I will go with the KN drop-in. I am also waiting to see what Grubbs comes up with. They are supposedly developing there own version of a CAI. But I remain skeptical of any real benefits of CAI's over the stock set-up.

<hr></blockquote>

If I had it to do all over again, I'd install the Z-Tube, keep the stock air box and buy the K&N drop in. The P/C is neat and all, but the heat shield design is just ok and the K&N looks a lot cleaner IMO.

301-bhp!!! ...and growing!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Swapped Injen CAI for Z tube