Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

What plenum should i go with?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2009 | 02:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Generally the 5/16" spacer. It makes the highest average gain.

The 1/2" spacer makes more top end but a lower average.

Old 01-23-2009 | 04:23 PM
_jb
Photographer
Premier Member
Originally Posted by nismo240r
lol I beg to differ, I had the MD 5/16" spacer and MREV2 before I got the Cosworth Plenum. . .I'll be switching back pretty soon. . .

Motordyne or Bust . . .
What is it you didn't like about your Cosworth plenum? Or, what is it you like better about the spacer and MRev2?

What mods do you have?

Old 01-23-2009 | 05:13 PM
What's the difference in the types of spacers used as in: copper ISO thermal, ISO thermal, and the standard ones?

Old 01-23-2009 | 10:36 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Gargan
What's the difference in the types of spacers used as in: copper ISO thermal, ISO thermal, and the standard ones?

The Iso Thermal and Copper Iso Thermal reduce heat transfer into the upper and lower intake plenum and reduces assembly temperature by 30'-60'F. Cooler intake air temperatures increase air density and reduces the tendency for detonation or ping.

There are two major heat sources that trnasfer heat into the upper and lower plenum.

1) Transfer from the lower intake runners which are bolted to the heads at ~250'F. The lower intake runners are made of heavy guage aluminum so they transfer heat very efficiently into the lower plenum.

and

2) Heat transfer from hot engine coolant that is coming directly out of the engine at about 200-210'F. This hot engine coolant is flowed through the plenum to insure the throttle body stays nice and hot.

The plenum typically heat soaks to about 170'F. That's burning hot!

A Iso Thermal kit will reduce the whole plenum temperature to about 110' - 140'F. Depending on where its measured, that's basically warm to very warm to the touch.

A necessary component of either Iso Thermal kit is the Aramid gasket. It's installed between the lower plenum and intake manifold significantly reduced heat soak. Basically, the Aramid gasket blocks a major heat transfer source from heat soaking the lower plenum. Aramid is heat resistant and a very good insulator with a low heat transfer coefficient.

To block the two main heat sources, the aramid gasket is used with either:

1) The throttle body Coolant Control Valve (CCV).
The CCV allows you to selectively heat (or not heat) the plenum assembly. With local weather temperatures below 55'F the valve is left open. In warmer weather the valve can be closed for maximum thermal benefits.

or

2) The polarized Copper Throttle Body heater.
Copper Iso Thermal is a set and forget component that is used in place of the CCV. With the Copper, it doesn't matter how hot or cold the weather is. Install it and the throttle body remains heated while the rest of the plenum is thermally isolated. Keeping the throttle body heated prevents ice formation on the throttle body butterfly valve when driving in cold weather. If it snows or gets really cold in your area, use the Copper Iso Thermal so your throttle body remains heated and engine can still take full advantage of the cold air you are driving in.

Note: Nissan (Infiniti) intentionally heats the throttle body for safety reasons. Its to insure the throttle body doesn't get iced up when driving in very cold or snowy weather. And none of the Motordyne plenum spacers run an increased risk of throttle body freezing.

1) The basic spacer leaves the entire plenum hot all the time. (just like stock)
2) The regular Iso Thermal heats the plenum when you need it and doesn't heat the plenum when you don't need it. But depending on weather condition, the CCV must be switched on or off.
3) The Copper Iso Thermal is fully automatic. Just install it and forget it. It always gives the best results without adjustment. But it costs more.

So as for which one to use, it depends on you budget and objectives.

Old 01-24-2009 | 01:54 AM
Thank you for that info.

Old 01-26-2009 | 01:20 PM
Very informative thread! I have an 06 coupe (Rev up motor) So would the best thing for me to do is go with the Mrev2 (which from my understanding is a lowert plenum?) and the 5/16 Copper Iso Thermal spacers?

Old 01-26-2009 | 03:48 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Yes. ...And yes to the Copper version because you live in Boston.

Old 01-26-2009 | 04:11 PM
how hard would it be to install the Mrev2? im guessing alot harder than the upper? Anyone know the average amount of hours it usually takes?

Old 01-26-2009 | 08:05 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Typically 1.5 hours. The MREV2 only involves 10 more bolts. Most people install it themselves.

Old 01-30-2009 | 12:10 PM
I am going to order the upper one and the thermal spacer. Is this cover the top and bottom?

Old 01-30-2009 | 11:10 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
I don't quite understand the question. Top and bottom?

Old 01-31-2009 | 12:49 AM
+1 on motordyne. Tony is a really great guy from the dealings I've had with him. He's very fast to reply to any questions you have and is the essence of Customer CARE. Not customer service--to me, the word service implies that the seller/manufacturer is doing you a favor. Tony genuinely cares about the product he sells, and the people he sells to, and he stands behind it 112%.

Hell, for starters, take the fact that I don't think I've ever seen him post the word "search", and there are NUMEROUS threads on the board about "which MD spacer is better". He always takes the time to explain.

+a billion for Tony, and another billion for MD!!

Old 01-31-2009 | 04:26 AM
I decided to hold off on any power adding mods until spring. That said, I'm thinking about ordering everything at once and just doing one big install: MREV2, 5/16" gasket, Z tube, Pop charger and maybe test pipes.

Thanks to Hydrazine I know what the difference in spacers are, but I still don't know which one I should get. I live in Northern VA, and although it does get below freezing for a couple months, it only snows a few times a year. Do I need the Copper Iso Thermal spacer, or would the Iso Thermal be adequate?

Originally Posted by Lucky-G
+1 on motordyne. Tony is a really great guy from the dealings I've had with him. He's very fast to reply to any questions you have and is the essence of Customer CARE. Not customer service--to me, the word service implies that the seller/manufacturer is doing you a favor. Tony genuinely cares about the product he sells, and the people he sells to, and he stands behind it 112%.

Hell, for starters, take the fact that I don't think I've ever seen him post the word "search", and there are NUMEROUS threads on the board about "which MD spacer is better". He always takes the time to explain.

+a billion for Tony, and another billion for MD!!
QFT

I really do appreciate his help. I've spent a few years on forums seeing "noobs" get flamed for asking old questions, but so far I've gotten very informative and helpful responses on here. There is certainly a higher level of maturity then my old car forums.

Yeah, this thread has sold me on buying from MotorDyne. I'll be putting my order in once the roads warm up.

Old 01-31-2009 | 09:22 AM
If it were my car, I would go ahead and get the copper iso-thermal just to play it safe. I'm in St Louis Missouri and I opted for one. Having my butterfly frozen open just doesn't sound pleasant...

Old 01-31-2009 | 09:31 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
As for which one to get, you can actually use any one of the three versions no matter where you live or how cold it gets. But with each there is a different set of compromises.

The Copper costs a little more but its an install and forget part. The plenum always runs cool and you never have to adjust anything based on weather conditions.

The regular Iso Thermal can be used in cold weather too but you must have the valve switched to the open position when driving in very cold weather. For example, with the cold snap going on right now in the North East, just turn the CCV on and leave it on all winter long. Turn it back off once the cold season has passed. - Here in So. Cal. we never see that kind of cold weather so the CCV stays in the off position practically all year long.

With the basic spacer there is nothing to adjust. Just install it and forget it. The plenum will always run hot. Just like stock.

Which one to get depends on yoru priorities.