Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

37whp Gain From Intake + Catback Exhaust + Tune On '03 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
37whp Gain From Intake + Catback Exhaust + Tune On '03 Coupe

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd stray from the 350z board and show a little bit of testing results we have from a local G35.

We dyno'd this 2003 (non-revup) G35 6MT and all we could get it to make was 206whp stock. Our dynapack tends to read relatively low so that is not too far out of what we would assume reasonable, we've had a stock '06 Revup G (also 6MT) dyno at 220whp stock.

After adding Motordyne's new Gamma exhaust we found 216whp, so an 11whp gain from just a y-pipe and cat back exhaust. Not too bad. Unfortunately the dyno from the stock pulls got erased.

We then fabricated a 3" intake with a BPI flow stack, and installed a motordyne 5/16" spacer. Huge gains were seen above 5500rpm, the largest gain being over 20whp near RPM limit. The peak power increased to 228whp, another 11whp from spacer + intake.

Finally, we flashed the ECU with Uprev's Osiris and the power went up to 232whp. With more tuning we raised RPM limit to 6800 and with some more timing and less fuel the car produced 242whp! Shows that there is some timing on the table. This is with 91 octane fuel, 94 octane could possibly see even larger gains.

The next things on the table are longtube headers, pulleys, clutch and cams, which should take it close to 300 (longtubes are 35whp, cams might be 20, pulleys and a lightweight clutch/flywheel will be good for another 5-6)

We also brushed the burnt Ti finish off of the tips and then gave them a light polish to remove the brush marks to give it a more matte dull Ti finish, something the customer wanted to keep a lower profile look and IMO I think it looks beautiful! The motordyne exhaust sounds fantastic as well, I can't wait to get a set of longtubes paired up to it.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
Interesting post ! Thanks that looks really clean too. Happy to see some dyno gains from these ups.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Do you guys have any heat soak issues with the metal intake tube and the airfilter?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm so glad I have Motordyne and Uprev products on my car! It's always good to see area under the curve increases throughout the powerband. A very nice increase in power!

Old 02-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by SGSash
(longtubes are 35whp, cams might be 20, pulleys and a lightweight clutch/flywheel will be good for another 5-6

no ricer math please. . .

Old 02-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nismo240r
no ricer math please. . .
It's an estimate// factual. He have been engineering a longtube headers couple'd with cams and that is how much it actually produce during his R/D with a 350Z.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iU2h0JTq2fk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iU2h0JTq2fk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Great gains, but I truly think the car was not running right from the beginning, that is why u see so much gain.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
Great gains, but I truly think the car was not running right from the beginning, that is why u see so much gain.
Klub,

didn't he say his dyno was reading low? Kinda like those Mustang dynos. They started with 206 WHP which could be like 225-228 ish on a regular dyno right?

Old 02-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Gee3.5 thanks for posting that!

As for the car not running right, we have seen similar gains with our '06 revup roadster

220whp stock, 240whp with cat-back (stock ypipe) and intake, 250whp with pulstars (same as tuning, just adding 3 degrees of timing). Added longtubes and went to 280whp.

I can understand that large gains always seem suspicious, and that we are new on this forum (however no stranger to My350) so we will receive our fair share of skepticism, but all we are trying to do is optimize the VQ and make the most NA power we can, for the least amount of money (ideally, the most power possible without cracking the block, or pulling the motor, all with stock ECU).

I'll continue to post our results as we get them, and try to help the VQ community figure out exactly what does, and does not, produce power. Until then, you're welcome to come up to Mosport for a ride in our grand am cup race car and see what 313whp N/A feels like (soon to be higher, all with stock block), to prove that our dyno numbers are an accurate representation of speed!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:02 PM
SG, do you guys have any clips of your dyno runs at the moment?

Old 02-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by tiguy99
Klub,

didn't he say his dyno was reading low? Kinda like those Mustang dynos. They started with 206 WHP which could be like 225-228 ish on a regular dyno right?
I am not talking about the initial numbers. I have seen stock cars putting down very low numbers compared to other stock cars the same day. There are cars that just dont run normal and when u start modding them they gain the original power and more from the mods.

For example: Lets say my G35 puts 230 whp on this dyno with 0 mods. Another G35 puts down 210 bone stock. Now when we mod both of those cars my g35's power goes to 245 peak hp and the other one goes to the same power. If you are the owner of the 2nd G, you are very happy because you gained 35whp, but the fact is the car should have put down 230whp before the mods so in reality you only gained 15 hp.

Hopefully it made sense.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:31 PM

As for the car not running right, we have seen similar gains with our '06 revup roadster

220whp stock, 240whp with cat-back (stock ypipe) and intake, 250whp with pulstars (same as tuning, just adding 3 degrees of timing). Added longtubes and went to 280whp.

I can understand that large gains always seem suspicious, and that we are new on this forum (however no stranger to My350) so we will receive our fair share of skepticism, but all we are trying to do is optimize the VQ and make the most NA power we can, for the least amount of money (ideally, the most power possible without cracking the block, or pulling the motor, all with stock ECU).

I'll continue to post our results as we get them, and try to help the VQ community figure out exactly what does, and does not, produce power. Until then, you're welcome to come up to Mosport for a ride in our grand am cup race car and see what 313whp N/A feels like (soon to be higher, all with stock block), to prove that our dyno numbers are an accurate representation of speed!

The gains are very possible. Me myself got over 20 whp and about that much tq gain with just 4 mods on my already good running sedan. I am not skeptical about the gains just pointing out some possibilities......

Old 02-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I am sure alot of the skepticism comes from the fact that no one has posted those kind of gains with those modifications. Also the fact that you do not have the base dyno to compare makes ir hard to believe. I am not saying you are lying, but the time if you went back to stock, re-dynod, and then dyno again with the mods on would silence the critics. This would be unreasonable for an individual, but for a shop, that is trying to sell stuff, I think it is very reasonable.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
The MOST you can get out of a full bolt-on G35 (intake, exhaust, test pipes, MD spacer, modified lower plenum, headers, & tune) is 30-40 PEAK whp at most. Anything more than that and I would be very skeptical of the gains. I can say this from much experience...

If the car dyno'd at 206 whp stock on that particular DD and it was running fine, there's no way you'll get to 300 whp unless you have a complete NA engine build or go forced induction.

I saw gains of almost 30 peak whp on my full bolt & tuned revup. Under the curve, I gained almost 40 whp in some areas (mid-range).

Old 02-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my car was stock(05 revup), I put down 242/210 at a local dynojet. After the stillen airbox, mrev+, spacer, headers, test pipes, stillen sedan catback, jwt flywheel, and utec, I put down 265/250. Less than 25whp gain at peak, ant right at 40wtq gain at peak.

If your longtubes truly make 35whp *by themselves*, then you guys are going to be rich, because every other manufacturer, tuner, and vendor on the vq scene has obviously been selling snake oil.

I'll tell you what. Ship me some parts. I'll install them myself. I'll even dyno them myself. If somehow I pick up enough power to get into the 12's all motor, I'll officially endorse you. Hell, I'll even take the parts *back off*, and ship them back to you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 37whp Gain From Intake + Catback Exhaust + Tune On '03 Coupe