Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Naturally Aspirated "GURUS", come in, come in...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by _jb
There are several versions of Osiris, which can be confusing. None of the versions of Osiris use a hardware device like the COBB unit.

Osiris Standard comes with three custom ROM files created by UpRev specifically for the mods in your car. You can get them whenever you want. So, get one when you get Osiris, then get the others as you add mods. Each ROM file can have up to five maps that are changed through your cruise control buttons. The cruise control continues to work normally.

Osiris Pro Tuner is a special application that gives Tuners the capability to Tune your car in real time. A Tuner can hook your car up on a dyno and tune the OEM ECU just like he would with a UTEC or whatever piggyback or standalone. This results in a custom tune specific to your car.
You don't need the Osiris Pro tuner to get a custom tune for your car, but it's nice to be able to play with the settings yourself if you know what you're doing (or have a friend tune it for you on any dyno). Authorized tuners can do the custom tune just fine.

I absolutely dislike the UTEC... it's still a piggyback, so unless you're boosting, you might as well get an APEXi AFC Neo. But I'd still go with a reflash if I'm boosted unless I've just spent that much on my motor. And I'm not a fan of standalones either since they are just too much work for what I have in my car (or what most of us have at that). The stock ECU is just so versatile, why would you want to change it out?

Last edited by dofu; 03-29-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
You don't need the Osiris Pro tuner to get a custom tune for your car, but it's nice to be able to play with the settings yourself if you know what you're doing (or have a friend tune it for you on any dyno). Authorized tuners can do the custom tune just fine.
An individual doesn't need Osiris Pro Tuner, but the Tuner needs it.

Sharif, owner of Forged Performance, is a registered Osiris Pro Tuner, plus an excellant tuner in general. The OP mentioned Forged Performance in his first post... I was basically saying it's a good place to go. One of the best places to go, actually...

Old 03-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by _jb
An individual doesn't need Osiris Pro Tuner, but the Tuner needs it.
Oh, IC... that always confused me when they put it on the catalog... but they charged a lot more for this thing when the Osiris first came out because the cable would also hold the serial numbers (or whatever it's called) for available reflashes too.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:10 PM
_jb
Photographer

Oh, IC... that always confused me when they put it on the catalog... but they charged a lot more for this thing when the Osiris first came out because the cable would also hold the serial numbers (or whatever it's called) for available reflashes too.
Yes, any individual can buy the Tuner version if they are comfortable tuning their own car. It is actually a bit different than the Pro Tuner version, but very similar.

It is a smart cable that holds all the licensing information. Once a car's ECU is licensed/flashed to be tuned with Osiris Pro Tuner, it is good forever. You only have to pay the Tuner for his time for any future tunes.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
How awesome is this - gobs of information and a great convo on Tuning! Too Cool!

Ok, this is FANTASTIC information and lots of it - maybe even too much for me all at once.

I just called and left a message for Sharif. Hopefully, I'll be able to swing by and talk with him one day soon. There are so many different mfg's of all these parts - I'm sure he'll be able to help me decide on the best 'combo'.

_Jb, I like your "mix":

Cosworth Plenum | Crawford Headers, HFC | HKS Ti | Carbonetics LSD | 4.083 FD
Osiris Pro Tune | JE 11.7:1, Eagle Rods, JWT C8R Cams, ARP L19 | ACT Fly | JWT Clutch

Where are you coming out WHP/WTQ for all these NA mod's - VERY interested!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 03-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your looking at cams..I would rebuild the total engine and go with a the stroker kit to make a 4.0L V-6. You will have a G40 Than.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by jimmykce1
If your looking at cams..I would rebuild the total engine and go with a the stroker kit to make a 4.0L V-6. You will have a G40 Than.
Wow... that's a huge step from changing out a few parts from the heads without any major head work! You must be baller to be able to think like that these days!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... that's a huge step from changing out a few parts from the heads without any major head work! You must be baller to be able to think like that these days!
When I suggested rebuilding an engine ..I would do head work too...

Old 03-29-2009, 07:53 PM
When I suggested rebuilding an engine ..I would do head work too...
If/when I rebuild, I would definitely want to do the headwork too... But a stroker kit to go with cams is a bit... expensive!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Call me silly, but his 03 coupe can only be tuned by TS.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
OP has a 2003.5. He can tune with OSIRIS. The early 03's are the ones that can't.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
depends if was early or late 03... to my knowledge only the version 1 cars cant be tuned by Osiris only because the cable connector is different.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Get the cams... Do it! Make some real power! (not generic I/H/E power)

I think in this case where he's getting all the mods and tune, if he gets cams, he should be able to make more power with the headers. I'd like to know though, because there's something about the feedback from people with only i/h/e telling us it doesn't make power that makes me wonder otherwise.
I have cams and headers... thats why I posted the numbers - in the post that you responded to... it's not a lot more power - not worth the expense anyway (imo).

Old 03-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat
Hey Guys!!

I think (pretty sure) I am going to try and sell my Stillen Stg2 SC kit that I never installed and keep the coupe NA.

So, since I haven't been on here in a while asking about NA "bolt on", I thought I would re-ask the question to get some good feedback and maybe start a chat or two about what's new out for our coupes (03'-07' models) for the Naturally Aspirated enthusiasts.

What I have: 2003.5 Coupe
Gordie Grouding Kit (love it!)
STILLEN "True Dual" cat-back exhaust (I kiss it good night, best mod I've ever done for this coupe!!!! - HIGHLY recommend)

What I was thinking of getting if going the NA route afterall:
1.) Motordyne 5/16" spacer w/ iso thermal
2.) Motordyne MREV2 lower plenum collector - can I use this on my non-rev with the 5/16" spacer with POSITIVE or NEGATIVE results!?!?
3.) STILLEN headers
4.) STILLEN High Flow cats

My main worries are the Motordyne combo asked in question #2 and then if that passes for a "good mod to do", then what would HF Cats and Headers do with that combo - good or bad outcome!?
I do NOT want to LOOSE TQ, I want MORE!! he-he

What else could I be missing for NA route? - Oh the ECU reflash! Forged Performance is a bicycle distance from where I work. Let them do the ECU or send it off to TECHNOSQUARE?

All comments welcome - I remember to put on my flame suit for anyone having a bad day.

Thanks Guys!
-WoW
NA is the way..My 06 that i gave my son has all the mods you have on your list.. And has been TUNED my son LOVES his carits a AUTOMATIC but she QUICK!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:51 PM
now your up to 10K+ though... I love how ppl say "if you're doing cams just build the motor" as if its only a few more bucks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Naturally Aspirated "GURUS", come in, come in...