Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Naturally Aspirated "GURUS", come in, come in...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by G U LATER
Here is the list of things im getting what should I do once the list is complete.

-Motordyne 5/16 Spacer
-MREV 3
-Motordyne Shockwave Exhaust
-Intake
-FI or Berk HFC

Oh and I have an AT
other than the change I made in your list... 3.692 FD and tune (Osiris or TS) and a few other tweaks (that are secret) you're good to go! unless you want to be the first to do a once piece CF drive shaft? I have the source if you want to be the guinea pig (I'm done with guinea pig stuff - for now).

Atta-boy on the AT - now lets go kick some MT @ss at the drag strip!!! (not on a road course though - well, some of 'em )

I need an MT 370Z for everything other than straight-line racing and street tootleing (did I just type that word? )...

Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright i'm still learning guys what is FD? And when is the MREV 3 coming out?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:00 AM
How much louder would headers make the ride?
I kinda liked the sound after HFC... but headers made it a little raunchy... cats weren’t too different, just slightly deeper grunt... headers changed the pitch all together, but I did cams at the same time, so I'm not sure how diff it would be without cams.

I have Stillen gen 1 exhaust (sedan) - so it’s loud to begin with (without headers, cams and hfc).

Whatever you do – don’t base your decision (as far as sound) on clips over the internet… that is the most ludicrous thing I see ppl do! You can have a bone stock exhaust sound deeper and meaner than my car on a sound clip over a computer, depending on the audio system… listen in person if sound means something to you. Personally I was more concerned with performance, so I researched the hell out of everything (on more sites than this one) and went to a bunch of dyno events to see what mods were producing more gains… and am lucky enough to have met some very knowledgeable people in the VQ community that have shared their expertise….

Like any hobby, learn as much as you can and implement what works – you’ll be satisfied.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 AM
So from what I keep hearing and seeing crawford headers are the best is this true?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Alright i'm still learning guys what is FD? And when is the MREV 3 coming out?
you're not serious... I understand the MREV3 question... but just as I posted the previous I realized I recognize your name and you have been here for a while...

MREV3 is Tony’s latest lower collector made of 100% phenolic... if you are a fan of thermal management and using every trick to get cold air in the combustion chamber, then its a very intriguing concept! Good new is Tony is a stickler about testing and wont release it until he knows its viable... bad news is Tony is a stickler about testing and wont release it until he knows its viable (which means it could take a while). The concept is to prevent heat from the manifold from reaching the intake plenum, in an attempt to keep the intake air colder – if it holds together and can be manufactured for a reasonable price I think it’s a win! We’ll see…

If you really don’t know what FD is = its the final drive ratio of ring & pinion gears (in the rear end). As an AT yours is 3.3 which are quite a bit taller than 3.7 that I run... MT OEM is 3.5, but because they have 6 speeds, its advantageous for them to go 3.9 or 4.0 (like JB)... and AT would run out of gear going with a FD that short (well, not the new 7 speed ATs)... the shorter the gear (higher the number), the quicker the acceleration – I always use a 10-speed bike as analogy… short sprocket = easier faster revolutions and get to speed quicker – but you can only peddle so fast in a short gear then your done and need to switch to a bigger gear… 3.3 is like 5th gear on a 10 speed, takes a while to get up to speed, but lets you keep accelerating longer… 3.7 is like 1st or 2nd gear on a 10 speed, to quickly accelerate, its not slow and sluggish… some ppl note that a downfall of shorter gears is you lose top speed – I can assure you, you will never be going so fast that top speed is ever hindered. Also, some ppl point out that mpg suffers because you are always a few hundred rmp higher (in every gear) and yes, this is true – but to what extent I’m not sure because I always drive spirited (my car is not a daily driver), so my mpg sux anyway – I have been on a couple expended mile trips and if there is an mpg variance its not more than 1 mpg or so… but my data is a bad example simply because I don’t drive the car enough to know (or care).

If you've ever driven an 07-08 AT sedan, you’ll feel how much snappier the acceleration is... most of that is the FD (3.692)... thats what prompted me to get it... prior to the 07 sedan most ATs were upgrading to 3.5

okay - now you are either laughing your @ss off that I spent this much time telling you stuff you already knew - or you know understand better and are ready to research to be sure I'm not blowing smoke up your @ss

Edit: See post #77 for more info regarding FD (as it pertains to AT)

Last edited by OCG35; 04-01-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:30 AM
So from what I keep hearing and seeing crawford headers are the best is this true?
Best is subjective… they have proven gains that’s for sure… and I like the fact that the look OEM.

If you have a show car and want to put mirrors underneath the see the undercarriage, don’t get Crawford… if you want quality and proven performance, they are a good choice. Opinions will always vary. I have Crawford, that what I speak on.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Nope I definitely understand FD now.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Has the cosworth intake manifold shown any major gains on a N/A?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:49 AM
not that I have seen.. to the contrary actually.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 AM
Nope I definitely understand FD now.
I guess my MREV3 explanation was lacking... Oh nvrmnd... I just re-read your post - you were asking when its coming out, not what is it... oh well, I guess the "when is it coming out" was somewhat aswered too... not soon enough

Old 04-01-2009, 01:52 AM
JB will answer the rest of your questions...

Old 04-01-2009, 01:53 AM
^Not really....last question for the night, I feel like a noob but I am learning...lol

Where can I find the 3.692 FD?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 AM
^Not really....last question for the night, I feel like a noob but I am learning...lol

Where can I find the 3.692 FD?
Performance Nissan (aka MyNismo) or West Covina Nissan (aka The Nismo Shop) *google for contact*... its an OEM part, but most dealers dont carry it.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:06 AM

I noticed quite a bit of gains on the Cosworth Plenum on my G. . .it does pull a lot harder and longer in the higher higher RPM's. . .but when are you really there?

Old 04-01-2009, 03:29 AM
Cams cams cams!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Naturally Aspirated "GURUS", come in, come in...