Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Naturally Aspirated "GURUS", come in, come in...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat
Hey Guys!!

I think (pretty sure) I am going to try and sell my Stillen Stg2 SC kit that I never installed and keep the coupe NA.

So, since I haven't been on here in a while asking about NA "bolt on", I thought I would re-ask the question to get some good feedback and maybe start a chat or two about what's new out for our coupes (03'-07' models) for the Naturally Aspirated enthusiasts.

What I have: 2003.5 Coupe
Gordie Grouding Kit (love it!)
STILLEN "True Dual" cat-back exhaust (I kiss it good night, best mod I've ever done for this coupe!!!! - HIGHLY recommend)

What I was thinking of getting if going the NA route afterall:
1.) Motordyne 5/16" spacer w/ iso thermal
2.) Motordyne MREV2 lower plenum collector - can I use this on my non-rev with the 5/16" spacer with POSITIVE or NEGATIVE results!?!?
3.) STILLEN headers
4.) STILLEN High Flow cats

My main worries are the Motordyne combo asked in question #2 and then if that passes for a "good mod to do", then what would HF Cats and Headers do with that combo - good or bad outcome!?
I do NOT want to LOOSE TQ, I want MORE!! he-he

What else could I be missing for NA route? - Oh the ECU reflash! Forged Performance is a bicycle distance from where I work. Let them do the ECU or send it off to TECHNOSQUARE?

All comments welcome - I remember to put on my flame suit for anyone having a bad day.

Thanks Guys!
-WoW
My 2 cents:

- The MD spacer with ISO is a no-brainer for NA
- The MREV2 would yield positive results, but no where near as it would on a revup
- Ditch the idea on the Stillen headers. If you are going to do headers, get some quality long tube headers. I can't see any justifications for parts & labor on 95% of header installs
- Ditch the idea on the Stillen HFC. Though I am a fan of many Stillen products, there are MANY better alternatives out there. I would only advise 3 HFC: Fast Intentions, Berks, or Crawfords. If you are really serious about NA, go with resonated test pipes.

Going with a spacer along with HFC and headers should not make you lose any torque. In the other hand, you will gain a good amount of it, especially after a tune.

As far as a reflash, go with Osiris hands down. Even though Technosquare is a great reflash, I don't see any reason to get it over the Osiris.

If you like to see my NA project thus far, you can check out my thread I posted a few months ago via my profile. I have not done anything "crazy" like some other people have (i.e. NA engine builds, cams, etc). But I feel that I did chose my modifications wisely and my results were great. (Considering how long it took me to get as far as I am now, I better have done the amount of research I did ).

Research, research, and more research is key!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 0.02¢

I'm no "guru" by any means but I'm going the n/a route on my dd G. . .

Installed:

- Z-tube & Pop charger combo
- MD 5/16" spacer and MREV2
- MD Y-pipe & Dual Harakiri cat-back (sooooooooo sexy)
- Sun Auto Hypervoltage system

Have yet to install:

- Crawford equal length headers
- Turbo XS Utec

Have yet to purchase:

- JWT S1 cams
- Crawford HFC's

Not looking to bust records or anything but I'd like to keep this as my very reliable daily driver and improve on the VQ. . .

Stillen - I wouldn't get their headers. . .they are the same as every other header out there except for Crawford's and Megan's longtubes. . .at least these 2 companies are proven to make power with their designs. . .

Motordyne - A no brainer. . . Tony has done his homework on all of his products and stands behind them. . .(highly recommend his exhaust systems!)

Cosworth Plenum - A quality product; I had one on my car but sold it and went back to the Motordyne MREV2 and spacer. . .doesn't seem worth cost the unless you're going full-bore N/A or just plain F/I

Tune - Tons of options out there, guess it comes down to how much you're willing to spend. . .XS Utec - - - - - - -> Haltech Platinum

Very convenient that Forged is a hop skip & a jump away from you, they'll be able to help you out a lot as well!

p.s. - as Skaterbasist said, Research IS key

DOMO

Old 03-30-2009, 03:10 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
I have cams and headers... thats why I posted the numbers - in the post that you responded to... it's not a lot more power - not worth the expense anyway (imo).
I'm thinking that after intake, plenum and spacer, full exhaust, and tune, there won't be much parts that'll offer any kind of decent gain. An additional 15-20hp and 15lbs of torque is a very welcome gain, even though it's an additional couple thousand.

Other than that, the options are to build the motor, boost, or boost a built motor. While boost may be easy power, it's just not what some of us are looking for (I can't speak for the OP on that)

Of course you can always cheat and get a higher final drive instead! (or preferably, everything)

Old 03-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
I'm thinking that after intake, plenum and spacer, full exhaust, and tune, there won't be much parts that'll offer any kind of decent gain. An additional 15-20hp and 15lbs of torque is a very welcome gain, even though it's an additional couple thousand.

Other than that, the options are to build the motor, boost, or boost a built motor. While boost may be easy power, it's just not what some of us are looking for (I can't speak for the OP on that)

Of course you can always cheat and get a higher final drive instead! (or preferably, everything)
why is getting shorter gears "cheating"???

Old 03-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
why is getting shorter gears "cheating"???
Because it increases acceleration without making more power... IMO, it's a great mod, but it's cheating lol

Old 03-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
Aside from Mike, who else has cams???

Old 03-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Because it increases acceleration without making more power... IMO, it's a great mod, but it's cheating lol
Sorta odd word for it. It's not "free". You give up top end and some possible MPG.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
But if it came with shorter gears from the factory it wouldn't be cheating

It's not cheating!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:20 PM
With that logic, Nitrous is okay but upgrading ring & pinion gears are not

IMO nitrous (aka cheater gas) is totally cheating (but since its an actual power adder it must by okay in your world).

Also – your logic means an OEM MT is cheating if it races an OEM AT because it has sorter gears.

Your logic is totally flawed.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by ShanesG
just me and JB I think...

Old 03-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Retired SuperMod
My car came with cams

I don't think many have done the cam upgrades just by themselves. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Mike (im sure there are a few more on the site). Others have done a full NA engine build.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Retired SuperMod
Does this mean the 7AT is the ultimate cheat?

Old 03-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
Does this mean the 7AT is the ultimate cheat?
Electronically controlled and all? Hell yeah it is!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat
_Jb, I like your "mix":

Cosworth Plenum | Crawford Headers, HFC | HKS Ti | Carbonetics LSD | 4.083 FD
Osiris Pro Tune | JE 11.7:1, Eagle Rods, JWT C8R Cams, ARP L19 | ACT Fly | JWT Clutch

Where are you coming out WHP/WTQ for all these NA mod's - VERY interested!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW
Thanks. When my engine was first completed and tuned, it made 312whp on a DynoJet. I never got a torque figure because the dyno RPM input was not working at the time. Performance Factory has since moved to Maryland, so I am getting reacquainted at a new shop. Making some progress, changed a few things, but there are still a few things to sort out.

Originally Posted by jimmykce1
If your looking at cams..I would rebuild the total engine and go with a the stroker kit to make a 4.0L V-6. You will have a G40 Than.
Adding a stroker kit really increases the price... especially if you add sleeves and bore the block to 100mm. I looked into it, but the price and the risk of the sleeves made me decide against it.

Originally Posted by DaveB
Call me silly, but his 03 coupe can only be tuned by TS.
Hmm... I thought they had the ability to flash all the ECU's now, but you might be right. Something to ask about for sure. Sharif should know... Or maybe Rich will pop in and answer that question.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
_jb
Photographer

But if it came with shorter gears from the factory it wouldn't be cheating

It's not cheating!!!
One of the funniest arguments I have ever seen...

All the G37 guys are cheaters...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Naturally Aspirated "GURUS", come in, come in...