Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Borla or Injen SES Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla or Injen SES Exhaust?

I am about to purchase a cat back exhaust sytem and have narrowed it to either the Borla or Injen SES. I need input from anyone who has experience with either of these exhausts and give me their reasons why they recommend one over the other. I want to increase my performance without a dramatic change in the sound. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TK

Old 07-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Borla or Injen SES Exhaust?

I would put the Injen system in the catagory of offering a dramatic change in sound vs oem. The borla would be more in the catagory your after IMO. I went with Injen mufflers on my custom TD system for that reason, I wanted something quite a bit different sound wise. I heard the exhaust in person and I had to have it's wicked sound quality (wicked as in IMO).

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 07-01-2004, 01:52 PM

I'm debating over the exhaust issues too. My only comment is that I really prefer the dual tip exhaust look over the single tip exhaust. This is of course my opinion.

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, Stillen CAB, 04 Z Suspension

Old 07-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i too am debating.... im leaning towards th injen personally

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-01-2004, 03:02 PM

Isn't the Injen the one that is blowing off fiberglass all over the place???

2004 G35 Coupe/OB/Graphite interior/Premium and aero package/Popcharger/Z tube/Hotchkis sways/Tein H-tech springs/Kinetix plenum/Crawford cats

Old 07-01-2004, 04:11 PM

Ya, there are a couple of guys on the forum that have had they're exhaust emit fiberglass particles....Not sure of the status on that. I ordered the Injen exhaust, it should be here in a couple of weeks. I love the sound, its lighter than stock and only comes in a few pieces. Injen has a sound clip of the exhaust on there site.
The Borla sounds pretty good too, closer to stock than Injen. But I think that it comes in like 12 pieces.

04' G coupe/TB/Prem/Sport/Nav/35% Tint/Injen CAI/Clear corners/V5 Plenum/GroundingGear/Nismo caps
Plates: 1REVER1

Old 07-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wtf lol... fiber glass? elaborate plz before i go spend 900 dollars on what sounds like a debris throwing grenade launcher

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-01-2004, 05:51 PM

i've had my Injen for about 1 1/2 years.. never had any problem, still love it till this day!!

<font color=white>Pearl Ivory</font color=white> G35 Coupe 6MT Prem/SplashG/BSM, <font color=red>Injen CAI</font color=red>, <font color=red>Injen Super SES</font color=red>

Old 07-01-2004, 06:37 PM

I've had my Injen since the spring and havent had a problem. It does sound a lot more aggressive then stock. Personnally I like the sound. It's not so loud you cant talk in the car.

Old 07-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally I dislike the way Injen looks and sounds.... too fart pipe for me. I would recommend Borla or Fujitsubo..

Old 07-02-2004, 02:08 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the borla true dual exhaust and had it recently installed. Under normal driving (slow), the exhaust is quiet. I would go even as far to say it is even quieter than stock. Some of the stock droning noises at certain rpm's are gone and replaced with a deep low tone. At full throttle, you'll definately hear the borla roar. The sound is akin to a mustang/camaro v8. Construction wise, the borla is not that appealing or pretty to look at when viewed from the underbody compared to the injen, fujitsubo, etc. The tips are nice to look at being that they're bigger than stock and stick out and look mean (my oppinion)

But I wish the borla was flange bolted like the injen. Instead every pipe is held/sealed together using clamps. If the clamps are not properly placed over the meeting point between the two overlapping pipes or not torqued down tightly enough, leaking could occur (lots of occurences of this on my350z.com). You'll have to make sure the h-pipe is joined together good before you tighten the center clamp. Otherwise, you'll have a leak (buzzing sound). Also, the right side pipe that bolts to the muffler goes over the rear sway bar (the left goes under) so you'll have to watch carefully for any clearance/rubbing issues and rotate accordingly. Also, if you plan on installing this yourself, make your life easier and install the muffler first and then the piping that leads to the cats second. Have a rubber hammer ready to bang the pipes together if need be.

My oppinion on the Injen exhaust is that it looks great, has good quality construction (shiny metal, flange bolted, not as many pieces as borla), but I did not want a loud exhaust and I was looking for something cheaper (well, at the time, the borla was cheaper than the injen) so I got a used borla for a good deal (thanks, esemes). The borla suits my needs, whether it suits your's its up to you.

Good luck on your decision

2k4 - 6 mt, diamond graphite coupe

Old 07-02-2004, 09:37 AM

I have the Borla true dual exhaust on my '03 sedan.

It was chosen based in part on comments from members that it sounded about like stock, it was a little less expensive than the other majors, and it is a true dual exhaust.

It does NOT sound like stock, I can assure you!

When I first started the car after the install, I thought, Oh no, what did I do. It was obviously louder and deeper than stock at first start and idle. It has a deep rumble at idle which some have called authoritative but which I would stop short of calling obnoxious.

Under driving conditions, it does make (what I consider to be) an annoying drone between 1500 and 2K (typical around town driving rpm's), especially under slight load like going up a gentle incline. My non-car-enthusiast passengers have complained about how loud it is. (An no, it's not leaking.) This can be mitigated somewhat by downshifting a gear or two to keep the rpm above 2K.

There is a balance to these issues, however. You will find it under hard acceleration and WOT. That exhaust just sings! Suddenly, the car sounds the way it is supposed to! Beautiful! Addicting! More than worth the price of the drone at lower speeds (unless you are running a shuttle service where adding the grumble of passengers to the drone of the exhaust might become unbearable).

I am not an exhaust expert and did not do the install. But my installer (a local speed shop) was very impressed with the quality of the exhaust and how well it fit and went in.

Further, since my preference would be to have a "sleeper" (and to not make the car unnecessarily attractive to thieves), the fact that it looks pretty much like stock was attractive to me. Closer examination will reveal nicer looking tips that are a little larger and stick out a tad further than stock.

Overall, I would recommend them, but I cannot speak to the competition. However, my feeling is that if the cost difference (for example between Boral and Stillen) were spent on an additional mod (ECU reflash, headers, etc.) the money would yield a greater power increase than would be obtained from just the other exhaust.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

exagorazo;
I installed the Borla on my sedan last week and echo your write up. I have exactly the same results.
I think that part of the low end resonation is from lack of sound dampening in the sedan.
I'm giving it the Brown Bread treatment next week.
I'll post results.

<font color=blue>04 Silverstone G35, 5AT, Prem, Aero
ES100 225/45-18 front 245/40-18 rear
Borla TD, Z-tube, Eibach, 35%Tints</font color=blue>

Old 07-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

The sedan borla is much different in layout to the coupe system however. Muffler is not the same and the mid pipe and the location of the premuffler is not the same either. The 2 systems will not sound the same. The only thing they share is pipe diameter.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 07-02-2004, 01:31 PM

Raznips,

I've only heard of a couple Injen exhausts that spit out fiber glass particles. A couple of the guys on the forum noticed it on thier bumber. I have to admit that I'm a little concerned but I have to think that 95% of the Injen exhausts are good. I'll keep everyone posted when I get mine installed.

04' G coupe/TB/Prem/Sport/Nav/35% Tint/Injen CAI/Clear corners/V5 Plenum/GroundingGear/Nismo caps
Plates: 1REVER1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Borla or Injen SES Exhaust?