Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Megan Racing V2 Test Pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan Racing V2 Test Pipes

I just recently installed my Megan Racing V2 test pipes along with the 350z HR Y-pipe. The Y-pipe was a perfect fit with the OEM cats, but once I installed the test pipes, I hear some rattling **** underneath the car, which I sorta expected, but on my way home on Friday, the car sounded like the passenger side test pipe was going to fall off or something.. especially when I am in 2nd gear, and I let off the throttle. Anyway, I did a vision check underneath the car and the Y-pipe looks like it is hanging way too low.. probably since the test pipes don't use the stock brace to keep them up and prevent them from rattling. Anyone experience this problem, and is there any way around it? I'm going to jack up the car tomorrow and double check and make sure all the bolts are tightened.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
You should jack the y pipe up off the kframe and tighten it that way so it wont rest on the kframe

Old 04-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
You should jack the y pipe up off the kframe and tighten it that way so it wont rest on the kframe
Basically, hold the Y-pipe up while tightening it down? Is the Kframe the frame towards the back of the car? (I'm guessing it looks like a K?) Haha. I noticed the exit pipe on the Y-pipe is less than 0.5" from some frame towards the back of the car. I'm guessing that's the Kframe. I wrapped the pipe where it might touch with the frame with exhaust wrap to soften up the metal-to-metal rattling. I think it worked a little. The car still sounds like crap sometimes though. Sometimes I get this LOUD droning sound while the windows are down and going 70mph if I'm pressing down on the throttle. Goes away when I let go. Maybe an exhaust leak?

Old 04-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Bump.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:35 AM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by vstypicals
Basically, hold the Y-pipe up while tightening it down? Is the Kframe the frame towards the back of the car? (I'm guessing it looks like a K?) Haha. I noticed the exit pipe on the Y-pipe is less than 0.5" from some frame towards the back of the car. I'm guessing that's the Kframe. I wrapped the pipe where it might touch with the frame with exhaust wrap to soften up the metal-to-metal rattling. I think it worked a little. The car still sounds like crap sometimes though. Sometimes I get this LOUD droning sound while the windows are down and going 70mph if I'm pressing down on the throttle. Goes away when I let go. Maybe an exhaust leak?
Yes, just jack it up off the k-frame to hold it about .5-1" off the frame. Tighten the bolts, then drop the jack.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
few of us use Megan V2 test pipe, none has any problem with over 10k miles and tons of track events.

Do what hotelcrazy said should fix your problem

Old 04-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Yes, just jack it up off the k-frame to hold it about .5-1" off the frame. Tighten the bolts, then drop the jack.
I think the way it is right now, the pipe is about 1/3" away from touching the K-frame. I'll fix it tonight. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:10 AM
I lifted the exhaust about an inch or so from that frame thing towards the middle-back of the exhaust right after the Y-pipe (it's the only frame I saw, and it was the only thing that could be rubbing against the exhaust), and tightened the exhaust down, but once I removed the support, the exhaust fell back down. I thought it at least made it a little higher since I couldn't get it to hit the frame when I forced it to by wiggling it up and down, but once I started driving, the "hollow metal" clanking started again.

I noticed that the clanking sound doesn't happen until I've been driving for a good 5 minutes or so.. probably because the exhaust is hot and is more susceptible to bending? I'm tired of this crap. Could it be that I have the HR y-pipe which makes it more prone to bending, therefore, it rattles?

Old 05-06-2009, 01:40 PM
im not sure if im having the same problem as you but after i installed my nonresonated testpipes, my car would make a hollow metal clanking sound too but only at 2500rpm. i have noooo idea what to do to solve it. iv been driving around like this for a while now lol. any ideas to help both of us??

Old 05-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by adusg35
im not sure if im having the same problem as you but after i installed my nonresonated testpipes, my car would make a hollow metal clanking sound too but only at 2500rpm. i have noooo idea what to do to solve it. iv been driving around like this for a while now lol. any ideas to help both of us??
I fixed my issue by jamming a block of cork between the exhaust pipe and the frame (taped it too to make sure the cork doesn't move or fall away) which lifted the pipe about 1" or so, and prevented it from bouncing up and down. I also wrapped the exhaust pipe touching the cork with header wrap to prevent it from heating up. I'll find a better way to fix this later, but it's been good so far.. but it is ghetto though. HAHA.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 AM
ill try that (as soon as i get time) and let you know how it goes.