Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Stillen High-flow-catalytic converter, A question or two.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
I didn't ask for help. The OP did and I just offered a couple links to what could be viable options.

You and I have obviously had very different experiences getting a smog check. Would either of those pass visual inspection from a CARB referee? Nope. Would they pass at Joe Blow's oil change and smog test station? Almost certainly.
You got it all figured out - good luck with that ...

please post up when you get your smog check with those - let us know the fine too (dont be shy)

Old 08-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
You got it all figured out - good luck with that ...

please post up when you get your smog check with those - let us know the fine too (dont be shy)
OK chicken little. I'll tell you about my fine that will never happen as long as you kept telling us how the sky is falling and we are all doomed.

The only thing worse than an actual carb smog **** are the people that go around spouting the propaganda. Be afraid, be very afraid!

You're like Dick Cheney.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:24 PM
OK chicken little. I'll tell you about my fine that will never happen as long as you kept telling us how the sky is falling and we are all doomed.

The only thing worse than an actual carb smog **** are the people that go around spouting the propaganda. Be afraid, be very afraid!

You're like Dick Cheney.
I have HFC ********… and I’m more against CARB regs than you would ever be concerned about… you are completely clueless about everything you are debating.

The reality is there’s nothing worse than someone who doesn’t know wtf they are talking about posting the crap that you have been.

Do what you want but at least know what the hell you are saying before posting stuff that other people might get screwed by.

Go buy either of those cats and video type the smog check – post up the results and if I’m wrong I will profusely apologize… but when I’m right – you agree not to be so dimwitted and feed bad info.

Its unreal how many idiots post such stupid **** on this forum these days.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would actually like to also hear back from anyone with the new Stillen HFC. I am debating between that model and the Crawford HFC. I also have a stock exhaust and i want to make the exhaust a bit louder and breathe a bit better. My main concern is any check engine light is might throw. Anyone have problems with CEL's with either model HFC? Thanks for any input.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:00 PM
What's really unreal is how if you even mention smog checks some polyanna will rush in telling people they are screwed if they even try to put HFC's on.

Getting back to the point, it is far more about them passing the sniffer than the visual. ******** here would have everybody believe that every smog check station attendant has received hours of training on how to spot a non oem cat on every car produced or sold in that state. That's not at all the case and frankly is just plain stupid to claim it.

Jack up your car and look at your cats. Then look at aftermarket hfc's. Unless they are polished do you really see anything that is going to tip off a guy just looking to get paid for doing the test if he sticks the sniffer up there and the machine says all good?

This forum really needs an ignore member option.

Last edited by PTownG; 08-30-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by domenic
I would actually like to also hear back from anyone with the new Stillen HFC. I am debating between that model and the Crawford HFC. I also have a stock exhaust and i want to make the exhaust a bit louder and breathe a bit better. My main concern is any check engine light is might throw. Anyone have problems with CEL's with either model HFC? Thanks for any input.
HFC wont throw CEL (test pipes might)... I haven’t seen results of Stillen current version, but have been interested - Crawford have lots of dyno proven results and they look very OEM (these are the reason I' chose Crawford)… if you chose a manufacturer that is not so OEM appearing, they are easy enough to swap out when its time for smog (so keep you OEM).

Depending on what other breather mods you have, it is likely that you will need tune to adjust a/f to maximize gains... I did a review of mine before and after re-tune... if you search Crawford and/or HFC I'm sure you will come across it.

Or you can use the bad info posted by people that dont have HFC, havent been on business related conference calls with CARB and havent experienced "visual" inspection problems on previous cars that were built with no cats and had them added.

Good luck.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:29 PM
What's really unreal is how if you even mention smog checks some polyanna will rush in telling people they are screwed if they even try to put HFC's on.
I didnt see anyone say this
Getting back to the point, it is far more about them passing the sniffer than the visual. ******** here would have everybody believe that every smog check station attendant has received hours of training on how to spot a non oem cat on every car produced or sold in that state. That's not at all the case and frankly is just plain stupid to claim it.
you really are clueless - because yes, they are trained and yes they will create problems for you... and yes they will lose their license if they don’t check and/or pass cats that ware not in compliance - no they don’t know if its an idiot that doesn’t have a clue, or a plant by CARB.
Jack up your car and look at your cats. Then look at aftermarket hfc's. Unless they are polished do you really see anything that is going to tip off a guy just looking to get paid for doing the test if he sticks the sniffer up there and the machine says all good?
this statement alone show that you are so inept about the subject that you should simply stop posting about it... are you telling me you think the two links you posted for HFC look like OEM? polished or not even an entry level smog tech is going to know… At this point I’m not sure you even know what your OEM cats look like.
This forum really needs an ignore member option.
you're as clueless about this forum as you are about CARB and HFC... because it does have that option.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up. you just made my first and only member on the ignore list.

Feel free to keep talking out ur ***.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:55 PM
^^^ at least he got that part right... maybe someday he'll learn about the rest.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
HFC wont throw CEL (test pipes might)... I haven’t seen results of Stillen current version, but have been interested - Crawford have lots of dyno proven results and they look very OEM (these are the reason I' chose Crawford)… if you chose a manufacturer that is not so OEM appearing, they are easy enough to swap out when its time for smog (so keep you OEM).

Depending on what other breather mods you have, it is likely that you will need tune to adjust a/f to maximize gains... I did a review of mine before and after re-tune... if you search Crawford and/or HFC I'm sure you will come across it.

Or you can use the bad info posted by people that dont have HFC, havent been on business related conference calls with CARB and havent experienced "visual" inspection problems on previous cars that were built with no cats and had them added.

Good luck.
Exactly the info i was looking for in regards to someone with experience with the Crawford HFC. I have the Stillen Intake, MD Spacer, and HR Y-Pipe, and the HFC was the last mod I wanted to do before looking at a tune and Uprev flash. Much thanks for your info.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:50 AM
Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
My Stillen Hfc's threw my CEL light CONSTANTLY! I got the o2 cat spacer a month ago from Chuck @ Stillen , no light yet. Check out the o2 spacer on the cat.

Attached Thumbnails Stillen High-flow-catalytic converter, A question or two.-dscf6651.jpg  

Last edited by butkiss1; 08-31-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 PM
^^^ what was the code?