Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Rev up Airbox vs other intakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
this is on area that I disagree with Dave here. The Stillen is probably as good or better than the oem airbox. The v-stack is designed around a huge 6" diameter. But I've run both and have already stated my opinions. Really no need to rehash it for the 10th time.

To the OP, sorry but I don't think you've searched enough. If you have't read that thread, you need to. If you have already read that thread, not sure what questions you would have or what additional conclusions you are seeking. Probably no one is going to dyno these as the gains or delta differences are well with dyno error so it's all "noise"

Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
^ You're on my **** list this year, Chief!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP....Try em all, and see what you like the best, that's what most of us have done. They are all basicaly the same as far as gains/losses/intake temps are concerned. You aren't out flowing the OEM airbox, rev up or not, so don't expect any real gains from anything else including a drop in.

IMO.....rev-up box with a dryflow drop in if you really want(Amsoil and i believe AEM or HKS makes one). K&N doesn't filter well thus the reason it "flows more". But if you aren't outflowing your factory box and filter to begin with, then why sacrafice filtering?

Take a look at yrou factory airbox design. It's already a CAI, more so then a short ram, it just doesn't look "cool", or make a neat noises. It's straight through, with a large panel filter, and is completely sealed off from the engine compartment. Obviously you still have radiant heat to deal with. But i can't imagine a more efficient design over OEM.

<----2 cents

Last edited by halfass872; 01-11-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by nate911
Well then...did it not do anything noticeable? Or what?
I usually use Stillen... but I bought the revup back half intending to do before and after with Stillen, stock revup and stock non-revup...

car was in body shop for several weeks and when I got it back I ran the revup box for a week - car seemed a little lethargic, but I hadn't driven it in a while and ecu had been reset (from long term bat unplugged) so I didn't think much of it... after a week I put the Stillen box on with pop charger - and noticed much stronger pull in lower to mid rpm... the car felt the way I'm used to.

So the revup box has been in the garage every since and I'm not even going to bother with dynos (because my mind it totally made up).

I don't care to debate this with anyone - I run what works best on my car, and the revup box is not it.

btw it is for sale at a loss... I have no need for it, but I'm glad there are people that do... $50 (one week old, but had been painted)

Last edited by OCG35; 01-11-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
OP, please read the link posted by Jeff. It will answer nearly all your questions.

I'll just add that most of the quickest and fastest NA Gs and Zs run the OEM and Revup airboxes. They are not restrictions. I absolutely love the Revup airbox. The sound and driveability are worth the $90 price.

As for "shielding heat", it's not going to do much. The issue is heated air in the engine compartment. You can shield from radient heat, but all the shields in the world won't help the fact that the underhood temps are 120+ degrees at a stop or slow roll.
My intake temps are within a few degrees of stock. Not a coincidence. Stillen airbox does a good job shielding heat.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Here's my .02 I have tried the stock box, the revup box, and the JWT pop. Kept trying different things because I still wasn't happy and thought there was something better out there. Haven't tried the Stillen, but a lot of members here have it and like it. I opted to try the R2C and have been very pleased. Has one of the best filters on the market and the box seals against the hood to help prevent heatsoak. My mileage has gone up a smidge since I installed it, and of course it makes a healthy sound over 4000 RPM's. If you are interested contact Marinelli Motorsports for a great price. W/O their tube it's about the same price as a new popcharger.

Name:  001-3.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  003-3.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  70.2 KB

Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all of the responses guys.

I have indeed looked through that thread (and it helped too) but I was wondering if there are any direct comparisons b/t the Revup and aftermarket intakes.

Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Heat soak is a killer. JWT uses a metal heat shield (conducts heat) and a metal velocity stack. Both will conduct heat and cause the dreaded heat soak. You just need to find a better way to shield from heat. Queue the HEAT SHIELD TAPE that I use. Think about it.

You won't lose power with the JWT but most people with the Injen do.

Long tube CAI (not short ram) lose throttle response and it has been proven that air 0-18" off the ground is normally higher in temp than 18-36"
Plus I don't feel like doing all the extra installation work for the long tube CAI...so I crossed that out awhile ago. I just haven't heard much about the R2C intake ( link )

I'll just add that most of the quickest and fastest NA Gs and Zs run the OEM and Revup airboxes. They are not restrictions. I absolutely love the Revup airbox. The sound and driveability are worth the $90 price.
Does it change the sound noticeably versus the stock air box? Could you elaborate?

Originally Posted by halfass872
OP....Try em all, and see what you like the best, that's what most of us have done. They are all basicaly the same as far as gains/losses/intake temps are concerned. You aren't out flowing the OEM airbox, rev up or not, so don't expect any real gains from anything else including a drop in.

IMO.....rev-up box with a dryflow drop in if you really want(Amsoil and i believe AEM or HKS makes one). K&N doesn't filter well thus the reason it "flows more". But if you aren't outflowing your factory box and filter to begin with, then why sacrafice filtering?

Take a look at yrou factory airbox design. It's already a CAI, more so then a short ram, it just doesn't look "cool", or make a neat noises. It's straight through, with a large panel filter, and is completely sealed off from the engine compartment. Obviously you still have radiant heat to deal with. But i can't imagine a more efficient design over OEM.

<----2 cents
I've heard the K&N Filter recommend and not much else...so I'm not sure.
Yeah, some of the better aftermarket intakes and the stock seem to be similar in performance (what I've read)...but I can see what you're saying. Hmm..
Originally Posted by OCG35
I usually use Stillen... but I bought the revup back half intending to do before and after with Stillen, stock revup and stock non-revup...

car was in body shop for several weeks and when I got it back I ran the revup box for a week - car seemed a little lethargic, but I hadn't driven it in a while and ecu had been reset (from long term bat unplugged) so I didn't think much of it... after a week I put the Stillen box on with pop charger - and noticed much stronger pull in lower to mid rpm... the car felt the way I'm used to.

So the revup box has been in the garage every since and I'm not even going to bother with dynos (because my mind it totally made up).

I don't care to debate this with anyone - I run what works best on my car, and the revup box is not it.

btw it is for sale at a loss... I have no need for it, but I'm glad there are people that do... $50 (one week old, but had been painted)
That's good to hear...do you think the intake alone makes the difference for your car? Or would your other mods play a part? (what color is it painted?)

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Here's my .02 I have tried the stock box, the revup box, and the JWT pop. Kept trying different things because I still wasn't happy and thought there was something better out there. Haven't tried the Stillen, but a lot of members here have it and like it. I opted to try the R2C and have been very pleased. Has one of the best filters on the market and the box seals against the hood to help prevent heatsoak. My mileage has gone up a smidge since I installed it, and of course it makes a healthy sound over 4000 RPM's. If you are interested contact Marinelli Motorsports for a great price. W/O their tube it's about the same price as a new popcharger.
What did you think of the stock vs revup or revup vs R2C?

So you haven't noticed any loss in power with it? I like the way it looks... Already contacted him for the cheaper price too

Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

That's good to hear...do you think the intake alone makes the difference for your car? Or would your other mods play a part? (what color is it painted?)

I'm confident that the success I've had is a combination of the mods I use... I have no idea how any one thing wold work on another car - but what I'm using works very well...

painted metallic black - it was an attempt at black chrome, but the shop didnt quite get the look I was after - the color in my engine bay now is what I wanted... the quality is superb and the color is actually nice - it just wasn't what I was after... and as it turns out it didnt matter since I don't use it (otherwise I would have had them repaint it like some of the other stuff) ~

Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Does it change the sound noticeably versus the stock air box? Could you elaborate?
Judge for yourself. The setup is the Revup airbox, stock G-tube, slightly enlarged Powerduct cover, bypassed lower airbox resonator, HR y-pipe, and 06 sedan midpipe.

Heavy throttle

Heavy throttle (VDC on, dumba$$!)

50% throttle then heavy throttle

Old 01-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
A'PEXi makes a drop-in now too...

Old 01-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Judge for yourself. The setup is the Revup airbox, stock G-tube, slightly enlarged Powerduct cover, bypassed lower airbox resonator, HR y-pipe, and 06 sedan midpipe.

Heavy throttle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvdc2cECXbA&NR=1

Heavy throttle (VDC on, dumba$$!)

50% throttle then heavy throttle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBaW64UZ3lo&NR=1
Sounds nice...I assume you like the G tube sound over the Z tube right?

I guess I need to keep looking for videos on each intake and see which sound I like the best I suppose...but like I said before, none of the R2C. :/
---

How does A'PEXi compare to K&N?

Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
A'PEXi is dry and they've been known to have the best flowing dry cone filters, so i'm sure thier flat panel is great too.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
What did you think of the stock vs revup or revup vs R2C?

So you haven't noticed any loss in power with it? I like the way it looks... Already contacted him for the cheaper price too
In terms of sound and gas mileage R2C>revup>stock. In terms of performance there is no noticeable difference.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Avoid any metal if possible. ESPECIALY the intake tube. Plastic gets hot too, but it doesn't retain the heat like metal does.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:00 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
In terms of sound and gas mileage R2C>revup>stock. In terms of performance there is no noticeable difference.

^how long have you had that intake?

How do you clean the filter?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev up Airbox vs other intakes?