Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Rev up Airbox vs other intakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
anyone wanna sell just the stillen shield? or know where i can get one.

i dont wanna be paying $200 for it

pm me plz thanks

Old 04-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go with the hks kit for about $2000

Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
The aftermarket intakes that lose power are the ones that are a short ram and have heat soak.

Honestly, I think the revup airbox is very slightly better, if at all. Not worth what you would pay.

I have the stillen intake but I'm using a JWT pop charger. The jwt heat shield doesn't block enough heat plus the venturi ring on it is metal and isn't shielded. The stillen air box is the next best thing to the stock airbox. I wrapped mine with some heat shield tape and my intake air temps are right about where stock intake temps are. Much better air volume though.
R2C is much better than any other. It has the box that has a nice gasket across the top that seals up nicely with hood when closed, it has the absolute best filter on the market period. (no if's and's or buts) The filter size is incredible, most other cone filters for the G will literally fit inside of the R2C filter. The R2C intake tube is injected molded plastic (no heating up, just like stock or Ztube) Also you can still use the little air diverter on top of the radiator b/c R2C has a little space to slide the diverter right into the intake. The sound when getting on the throttle with factory exhaust is music to any car enthusiasts ears, much deeper and exotic sound. All this and it took only an hour to install the R2C, the best part is you retain the placement of the MAF down close to the intake filter, which in turn reads a cooler air temperature anyhow. Now I am looking for some type of Carbon fiber duct kinda like the ones you can put on the front of a Z, just to send more cool, fresh air right to the R2C air box. Race cars have relied on R2C filters for years now. The easiest to clean and they even have better airflow than most when they are dirty and the competitors are brand new. I have no idea why anyone would think the 06 airbox is better than an intake, the stock airbox right off the start if you open up your airbox, has this big chamber underneath the airbox that has a hole in front of the filter, so any air that can not go through the filter obviously goes down into the chamber, if anyone knows anything about airflow, cool air moves down and hot air up, so all your cool air is moving down to the chamber, next there is another huge chamber about halfway up the stock intake tube, again robbing your engine of more airflow. Hell, some PVC with pantyhose over the end of it would be better than the stock airbox.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:09 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the chamers are there for a reason and they dont restrict air flow.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by LightsOut
the chamers are there for a reason and they dont restrict air flow.
How can they not restrict airflow? I took my backpack leaf blower after I uninstalled the airbox and with my k&n replacement filter and blew air through the airbox just to see how much air "escaped" through the hole in front of the filter and the other chamber, you really would be amazed at how much air flows down those chambers, even when I tried to aim the air away from the chambers, I understand that it is not exactly the same as driving down the road but when I forced air through the factory air box lots of air "escaped" into those chambers and with my 16 year old step son holding the other end of both intakes to his face so we could do a very un scientific "hair" test, his hair went crazy with the R2C intake and looked like a gentle breeze with stock box. If air is "escaping" into the chambers, I think even an Engineer would tell you that means that airflow is in a simple way restricted, or better yet you are losing air, and air pressure. At least this is common sense IMO.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Those chambers are for NVH reduction and don't restrict flow.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by G3LU5
R2C is much better than any other. It has the box that has a nice gasket across the top that seals up nicely with hood when closed, it has the absolute best filter on the market period. (no if's and's or buts) The filter size is incredible, most other cone filters for the G will literally fit inside of the R2C filter. The R2C intake tube is injected molded plastic (no heating up, just like stock or Ztube) Also you can still use the little air diverter on top of the radiator b/c R2C has a little space to slide the diverter right into the intake. The sound when getting on the throttle with factory exhaust is music to any car enthusiasts ears, much deeper and exotic sound. All this and it took only an hour to install the R2C, the best part is you retain the placement of the MAF down close to the intake filter, which in turn reads a cooler air temperature anyhow. Now I am looking for some type of Carbon fiber duct kinda like the ones you can put on the front of a Z, just to send more cool, fresh air right to the R2C air box. Race cars have relied on R2C filters for years now. The easiest to clean and they even have better airflow than most when they are dirty and the competitors are brand new. I have no idea why anyone would think the 06 airbox is better than an intake, the stock airbox right off the start if you open up your airbox, has this big chamber underneath the airbox that has a hole in front of the filter, so any air that can not go through the filter obviously goes down into the chamber, if anyone knows anything about airflow, cool air moves down and hot air up, so all your cool air is moving down to the chamber, next there is another huge chamber about halfway up the stock intake tube, again robbing your engine of more airflow. Hell, some PVC with pantyhose over the end of it would be better than the stock airbox.

There is so much wrong with your post that I don't even know where to begin. So I'll just say these two things:

1) The chamber in question is a Helmhotz resonator. Look it up.
2) Post up a dyno that shows that intake making any more useful power than stock. When I say useful, I'm talking about an elevated power curve, not just a 3hp blip from 6200 to 6600rpms.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ I'm not suggesting the intake is worth a hill of beans... but with AT anything below 3K wont show on a dyno anyway...

Old 04-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Five pages of opinions and no one has said anything new, well not exactly true but their ideas were incorrect. If you believe most intake manufactures they'll claim HP gains and even magazines will show dyno results of 10+ HP gains but not our G35s. All you're really gaining is sound, nice sound to go along with our spacers and exhaust but sound just the same. Any metal intake will kill HP that's been discussed over and over....nothing new. Stillens Z-Tube and intake with that giant K&N filter does a great job and it's not difficult to keep clean. Like the OE intake Stillens intake isn't effected greatly by the heat inside our engine compartments. I kept my Stillen but I'm currently using the shiny/beautiful Fjuita just for looks. If I'm taking a trip up the coast or need to get smogged I'll put the Stillen back on because it's legal (CARB sticker) and more effective....see nothing new or exciting.
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 04-27-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
^^^ I'm not suggesting the intake is worth a hill of beans... but with AT anything below 3K wont show on a dyno anyway...
Very true.

IMO, there are only two legit intakes for this car.

1) OEM setup with the Revup airbox
2) Stillen. Could be improved on be sealing up the box from all heat sources making it like the OEM airbox.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i went with cold air intake since it sucks up that colder denser air and wiht out restrictions unless when it rainsi have to cnvert to short ram lol but Cold air dyno more for me than short ram.. big diference.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by juan350gt
i went with cold air intake since it sucks up that colder denser air and wiht out restrictions unless when it rainsi have to cnvert to short ram lol but Cold air dyno more for me than short ram.. big diference.
there have been tests that show on a hot day ambient temps 6" off the ground are as much as 20 degrees hotter than grille level (I'll take short ram with OEM air duct drawing air from grille)...

There were also many dyno tests documented that show long ram (on avg) did not perform as well as short ram)... DaveO (formally SportZ mag when the data was gathered) has all the dyno charts.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^^ nice i shall take a look at that

Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Very true.

IMO, there are only two legit intakes for this car.

1) OEM setup with the Revup airbox
2) Stillen. Could be improved on be sealing up the box from all heat sources making it like the OEM airbox.
The R2C is just as good if not better than the stillen. If you completely seal off the air box you wouldnt be getting the airflow that these intakes are supposed to get. With a sealed off box you will be sucking in dry, stale air. You have to have fresh air coming in from the front of your vehicle. yes the diverter from the factory puts a little air over there and the stock airbox....well just look at the design it all restricted up with chambers that IMO still restrict air flow. Also in my at home NON-SCIENTIFIC, but very COMMON SENSE (which for some reason no one seems to have anymore) testing the stock air box loses about half of the air that is pulled in. On top of that I had a '86 Honda Accord hatchback with a 2.0L elec fuel injection engine when I was 19, the factory intake had this type of chamber on it, once I sealed the chamber up so no air flow would be LOST in the chamber I could tell a huge difference in power, response, and sound. This chamber was a 16th the size of one of the chambers on the stock G intake, I could imagine the air lost in that system.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
There is so much wrong with your post that I don't even know where to begin. So I'll just say these two things:

1) The chamber in question is a Helmhotz resonator. Look it up.
2) Post up a dyno that shows that intake making any more useful power than stock. When I say useful, I'm talking about an elevated power curve, not just a 3hp blip from 6200 to 6600rpms.
I live in Roanoke, VA. This place sucks when it comes to anything about making your car faster, You know I hear you guys saying you are gonna run down the road to one of the dyno's. I can not find one within a 40 mile radius of here. I used to live in Raleigh and things were different there, but didn't own my g then either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev up Airbox vs other intakes?