Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

AmsOil EA Air Filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Hmm, I guess ill just stick to a Wix or Napa Gold paper filter..

btw did the AmsOil EA filters even come out 3 years go? I found some videos from amsoil from oct 08...

Old 01-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Filters of any kind will degrade after some use, some faster than others. The case with AMSOIL stuff, or most aftermarket filters, seems to be more on being able to last longer and filter better in a used state despite the crud that accumulates on them, which in turn starts destroying the media itself.

AMSOIL guarantees their stuff will last as long as they advertise, but there's marketing speak for you, they don't promise anything beyond that (i.e. filtration, breathability, etc).

My thoughts are if any filter, AMSOIL or not, filters well, allows the engine to still breathe (preferably in longer intervals), does not destroy my intake sensors (oil), and will pay for itself over time, then that's a good filter to have.

Then again, with aftermarket intake kits, there's really not much choice.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Hmm, I guess ill just stick to a Wix or Napa Gold paper filter..

btw did the AmsOil EA filters even come out 3 years go? I found some videos from amsoil from oct 08...
Yes, they've been out for a while.
I had them in my '04 G, & I'm on my 2nd car since then

Old 01-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
DaveB said something about him trying to breath through it, and it was hard too.. Idk maybe he would post in this thread to clarify what he thinks, since some of his comments are spread around.
Don't make fun of my highly scientific human flow bench test Yes, I had an Amsoil filter for about 3 years on my G. I cleaned it twice a year per the directions. Over time, I noticed the media got a bit gummy and coarse, though the filter itself was still very clean, visually. A few months back, my car felt a bit laggy so I yanked the filter for cleaning and compared it to the relatively new Napa Gold filter in my wife's 98 Legacy (same filter type and design). After putting the filter up against my mouth and breathing in hard, I noticed it was far easier to breath in with the NAPA Gold. I could honestly feel a breathing restriction with the Amsoil filter. I thought that was a bit odd and not a very legit test, but I decided to spend $12 and try out the NAPA filter because Tony (Motordyne) had said numerous times that the OEM paper filters flowed quite well and just to stick to those and replace annually. I popped in the NAPA filer, and BAM, the car felt much more responsive. I chalked it up to a placebo effect. The thing was, the car kept catching me off guard after two weeks of driving. It just felt that much better.