Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART Pipes)

Old 01-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks I'm stoked to put them on, also got the Invidia Gemini true dual to pair with the ARTs. Cant wait to put them on!

Ok - that makes me feel much better, I hadn't been under the car to look so I imagined this mammoth bolt. Sounds like I need to get a pair of bolt cutters. Did you remove the heat shields all together?

Old 01-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G_zus
Thanks I'm stoked to put them on, also got the Invidia Gemini true dual to pair with the ARTs. Cant wait to put them on!

Ok - that makes me feel much better, I hadn't been under the car to look so I imagined this mammoth bolt. Sounds like I need to get a pair of bolt cutters. Did you remove the heat shields all together?
I removed a lot of heat shields.. LOL

Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Heat shields shouldn't need to be removed.

Bolt is small and soft metal, even a little hacksaw will make short work of it.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any update on ART pipes for AWD models? From research, it seems like the passenger side pipe has to be modded to fit. Is this the case?

Old 03-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ImElvis
As MadMaxx said, yes. The TDX2 system doesn't have that option. I took it to GMR, a mountain in Los Angeles, CA, and I was louder than this one Civic you'd define as a ricer. Although, everyone tells me it sounds better.. like a GTR. Rasp is rasp to me. To each his own I guess!
I finally got the ART pipes installed (V3+) after a really really stubborn O2 sensor (driver side) that just wouldn't come out. Had to take the Cat to a shop to get it torched and then it broke loose thank goodness. Also I dont remember reading this anywhere (maybe I missed it) but if you are tackling this job on your own, please ensure you have two things:
1- A very LONG (st least 25-30") extension to reach one of the bolts in each cat connecting to the headers. I did not know about this and I had to run to a number of hardware stores as no one had a longer than a 10" extension!. And lots of PB Blaster!!
2- A O2 sensor socket or wrench....do not try to do this with a 22 wrench or you are very likely to round them and then is a real pita....ask me how I know

The pipes are downright gorgeous period!! Craftsmanship on these is second to none and its a shame the go underneath the car. Performance wise, you will absolutely notice the difference immediately specially in the lower RPMS and I can give it a little bit of gas in 6th and response is much much better!!
Now, the sound: I watched dozens of videos in youtube trying to at least understand how this would enhance/affect the sound of the TDX2 and the rest of the Motordyne list of add ons as I have them all installed. And some were close to the real deal but nothing absolutely nothing in youtube will prepare you for the loudness of this two items paired up.

Start up is significantly louder and meaner (in a very very good way), no drone whatsoever and the smell is like an old muscle car or a sports bike kinda....very welcomed by me as I have had both and missed that smell.
I have also fixed the oil consumption issue and my gas milage has improved!!! Due to the fact that I no longer need to rev my car past 3000 RPM!!!
Driving this thing above 3K is absolutely insane loud (almost embarrasing to be honest), so if you want a loud but conservative tone, stick with the TDX2 with the stock cats and you'll be happy. Me on the other hand wasn't expenting such an increase in DB levels from the ART when added to the TDX2.
I have absolutely no drone whatsoever but everyone senses drone at different levels so I say for me there isnt any at all. Cruising in 6th at 2800 RPM is loud (not drone but loud).
Revving in the 5K and above is so loud that it almost feels as its rasp. Its not a terrible rasp but lets not put lipstick on a pig, rasp is there. Does it bother me? Perhaps a little but I can live with it for the performance I get out of them. It also works great if you want to open up traffic and scare the living hell of anyone too close behind you at a light....its loud!

So overall, Im glad I didn't hear exactly what they would sound like in youtube or I wouldn't have probably installed them. On the other hand, I absolutely love them the sound of them, cruising is phenomenal and WOT is effing awesome!

Thank you Tony for such a great product ....I officially have all MD bolt on products now and cant wait for next weekend for my uprev dyno tune to post numbers and see.

Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by Cubes:
dsr30 (12-19-2014), MaDMaXX (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 01:02 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Try keep out of it until you get the tune, it will be running weaker right now.

The sound will settle down a little too, mellow a bit, so to speak, enjoy

Old 10-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
ART pipes... are they direct bolt on ?

So, dumb question..

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/...roducts_id=121

Direct bolt on replacement ? or do I then need to keep going with new cats as well.

I'd like more TQ, but not be "louder".

I have a hard time believing their claims of 15+ lbs with these headers.. unless that quote is also tied to high flow cats + back end exhaust.

Anyone have a link to JUST replacing the headers and a reliable Dyno ?

Old 10-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
These aren't headers, they are replacements for the OEM cats (test pipes). You will bolt these right up to your old exhaust and headers.

They will give you some torque, but you really need a tune (from Uprev Osiris) to get rid of the check engine light and to maximize gains. It will get throatier with the ART pipes (search the great YouTube or exhaust threads here for different sound clips).

Old 10-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Tony is working on headers for gains right now... He wouldn't release a product that had no gains for his end users in the real world...!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
These aren't headers, they are replacements for the OEM cats (test pipes). You will bolt these right up to your old exhaust and headers.

They will give you some torque, but you really need a tune (from Uprev Osiris) to get rid of the check engine light and to maximize gains. It will get throatier with the ART pipes (search the great YouTube or exhaust threads here for different sound clips).
Ok then! good to understand. Throatier is cool with me, just do not want ''loud''.

Next question.. no cats ... so it's going to smell then ?

Edit: have the plenum 5/16 + thermals and a orsis+cam phasing tune already. A quick c-bill will get me a re-tune.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Bolt on or as we call it here on Driver, "Plug & Play!" With ART pipes you'll get major WHP gains and some major stinky exhaust! I like HFCs better which costs a couple hp gains but you can breathe with the windows down!
Gary

Old 10-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Bolt on or as we call it here on Driver, "Plug & Play!" With ART pipes you'll get major WHP gains and some major stinky exhaust! I like HFCs better which costs a couple hp gains but you can breathe with the windows down!
Gary
ahh bummer. let me dissect your sig then .. I need boltons that won't give me cancer.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Gary
Ok motordyne only has the tiny looking ''highflow'' cat attache to a y pipe... what's your recommendation?

I would like to keep if from stinking, and not increase the sound by very much. I am willing to spend a grand or so.... are the gains worth it ?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Tony is working on headers for gains right now... He wouldn't release a product that had no gains for his end users in the real world...!
shhh don't let em all know

Old 12-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
In my days as a rocket scientist designing the R-4D-16 dual mode rocket engine for JPL there were all kinds of challenges in ensuring the performance and reliability of the rocket engines.

One of the greatest challenges was designing an injector to produce smooth and stable combustion of the fuel and oxidizer in the combustion chamber. There were occasionally these acoustic instabilities (tangential modes) in the combustion chamber that could be excited and start a run away condition that could quickly destroy the engine. To address this problem I used Helmholtz resonators inside the rocket engine to damp out the acoustic tangential modes. A tangential mode is basically a shockwave that would spin around the inner circumference of the combustion chamber analogous to a supersonic tornado at 20K Hz. Not unlike detonation, this tangential mode would scrub off the boundary layer, radically increase the heat transfer into the chamber walls and result in a catastrophic failure.

Helmholtz resonators were the solution to these tangential waves. By properly tuning the Helmholtz resonator to the frequency of the tangential mode you could either magnify or eliminate the shockwave.

These can be used on a fully modified exhaust system to make additional power. Traditionally, if you already have an intake mod, headers, test pipes with a full catback exhaust and tune, that was the end of the line. There was no more left to gain. ...But not any more.

This is Motordyne's debut of the patent pending Advanced Resonance Tuning (TM).

They're not headers. They're not conventional test pipes. They're ART pipes!

The plot below is without exhaust cam phase tuning. The ART pipes respond very well to cam tuning.

Regular test pipes always result in a large loss of low end torque. Compared to test pipes, the ART pipes produce a large gain in low end torque that is clearly felt and can be very usable for auto-cross or powerful launches in drag racing.

The plot below is a Horse Power comparison of ART pipes Vs Stock catalytic converters.

The plot below is a Torque comparison of ART pipes Vs Stock catalytic converters.

Although these ART pipes are designed and tuned for power they greatly reduce rasp, drone and loudness.

thats a big loss down low

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART Pipes)