Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Dynoing out the myth of Intake mods: The Results

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
The throttle body itself may be plug and play as long as you're using the stock MAF, but it's much more useful if you upgrade the size of the entire intake including the MAF body which requires a retune
I get that but why not do it right the first time

Have they done a dyno with one of these on a revup engine?

Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
No clue

Old 03-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it worth it?

Sorry to bring the thread back up.. I see no ones posted in 2 years...

I currently own an 06 5at with borla catback, ART pipes, 5/16th spacer, SxExCx Grounding kit.

So there were problems with the pipe sizes when assembling them, they called saying the didn't want to run a dyno because the couldn't get an accurate reading because they needed to do a weld on the right ART pipe. They did it anyway and he said when I bring it back they will do the weld and run another dyno... for free.

I was just thinking should I keep a stock intake or get a new one? I do have a little rasp but I think its because my right exhaust is hanging a tiny bit lower then the left.

Also, I was think about bringing more mods such as a transgo kit, Headers... what else can I do ? Can someone also explain the real benefit of the transgo kit..? I have the grounding kit will it make that big of a difference? Are headers worth it will it make the sound deeper... i was thinking borla headers as well...

Old 03-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,017 Likes on 936 Posts
Did you read?

Since then something called the NWP Big bore 75mm intake Throttle body was released. It had a lot of talk, but did not walk the walk. Stick to the OEM intake!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrick Bovee
Sorry to bring the thread back up.. I see no ones posted in 2 years...

I currently own an 06 5at with borla catback, ART pipes, 5/16th spacer, SxExCx Grounding kit.

So there were problems with the pipe sizes when assembling them, they called saying the didn't want to run a dyno because the couldn't get an accurate reading because they needed to do a weld on the right ART pipe. They did it anyway and he said when I bring it back they will do the weld and run another dyno... for free.

I was just thinking should I keep a stock intake or get a new one? I do have a little rasp but I think its because my right exhaust is hanging a tiny bit lower then the left.

Also, I was think about bringing more mods such as a transgo kit, Headers... what else can I do ? Can someone also explain the real benefit of the transgo kit..? I have the grounding kit will it make that big of a difference? Are headers worth it will it make the sound deeper... i was thinking borla headers as well...
Transgo kit, your auto slushbox will turn into a monster. Shifts like a beast. Grounding kits handle the electronic portion of the shifting, where as the transgo physically makes it better.

And headers is something a lot of members dont recommend too often because of the pure PITA it is to install it. If you can do it yourself, then it'll be a great project (Don't expect to finish quick), if you cant. Expect a big bill for labour.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So your saying don't even get an intake..?

So im def. going to get transgo kit... headers idk yet, if I cant get the rasp away ill get them. But what do u recommend for an intake?

Old 03-30-2015, 01:08 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrick Bovee
So your saying don't even get an intake..?

So im def. going to get transgo kit... headers idk yet, if I cant get the rasp away ill get them. But what do u recommend for an intake?
Intake is debatable. One thing this test doesn't take into consideration is doing a tune after each intake. So results may vary post tune. General consensus is that intakes dont help too much though. Just grab a used rev-up airbox and z-tube and call it a day.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Rob is there any way you could post the data again? When I click the link the webpage isn't found

Old 05-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know if the question was asked/answered in all of the posts.... But the results for the change/addition of plenums and spacers are posted separately as though they were removed and not used in conjunction with one another (where applicable) or with any of intakes that were tested.

Were all of the tests on the intakes performed with (your own) modded versions of the upper and lower plenums and with or without a spacer?

Old 10-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Seems to be like the 3rd gen TL, the factory intake is well designed and there are minimal gains via intakes unless you are heavily modded. My Accord on the other hand...the air is drawn in from the front by a 2" diameter tube, then routed into a large baffled box before going into the filter box. An intake definitely made an improvement especially from 4500 and up. But my G35? Seems like the Z-tube and upgraded panel filter is more than enough. Original owner already put a K&N filter in so I just got a Z-tube and called it a day.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:26 PM
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by sexyrob

someone made the reference to me that do you get more liquid with a short fat straw or a long curvy straw? comparing Short rams to cold airs...
7 years late...but the liquid will move faster through the thinner straw until the diameter begins to impede the total amount of liquid that can flow through.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Velocity increases with restriction. But the trade off is volume.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:51 PM
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Velocity increases with restriction. But the trade off is volume.
Automatic, stock redline (unless stock is 8000 rpm!) you're generally better off with a long tube intake. Nice torque bump with an AEM cold air on my '90 Accord.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Learned a ton of info from the commentary alone in thread however I found the link dead for whatever reason.
Would love to see the rest of this experiment if anyone has a fix for this.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:26 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Learned a ton of info from the commentary alone in thread however I found the link dead for whatever reason.
Would love to see the rest of this experiment if anyone has a fix for this.
The K&N drop in filter with a "Z" tube were the best results for the money. You will see better results from intakes once you start boring out the intake plenum, throttle body, larger intake tubing...