Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Best test pipes for your budget?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Is not all 2.5" diameter pipe the same size? Would Tony's (MD) least expensive test pipe not match up perfectly? Only issue I see our members having with test pipes and hfc's are the poor quality aftermarket gaskets. There's not a better gasket than OE unlike the price they try to charge you....
Gary
my point was different setups run different diameters, a custom TP would have the most flexibility(generally) adjusting to the different variables; header outlet & y-pipe inlet differences.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:31 AM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Keep in mind when you go test pipes, you're not only changing the sound of the car.

Most people tend to forget or ignore the fact that once you get test pipes, the larger difference is the smell. You will be able to smell all the crap coming out of the exhaust and it can get really annoying and bad sometimes, especially when sitting at a light.

Got a test pipe on my evo, and that thing is horrible when at a light.

Just my input.

The following users liked this post:
SofaKingG (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 03:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by STAP IT
Keep in mind when you go test pipes, you're not only changing the sound of the car.

Most people tend to forget or ignore the fact that once you get test pipes, the larger difference is the smell. You will be able to smell all the crap coming out of the exhaust and it can get really annoying and bad sometimes, especially when sitting at a light.

Got a test pipe on my evo, and that thing is horrible when at a light.

Just my input.
Did you ever get hassled by the cops? I have APS test pipes waiting to be installed in my garage but am hesitant since the popo here are

Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 AM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
I've been pulled over but not because of the test pipe. It was for loud exhaust. I'm pretty sure the cop could smell it though, since the fumes are very strong. I wasn't too nervous though if he checked under the car, because my test pipe is wrapped around with a gutted catalytic converter so it looks stock.

In my opinion, I'm never going to get test pipes after this Evo. I'm already parting it out, and selling it so I can get back to a G35. I'm done with go-fast parts and smelling like gasoline everywhere I go.

Oh and test pipes don't change the volume by much. So if you have a stock or quiet exhaust and add the test pipes, you should be fine as long as it stays quiet.

But if you do somehow get pulled over and the cop smells the test pipes, you're screwed and they could pop you for "Modified Smog", which is a whole lot worse than "Modified exhaust"

Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
How are the M2 TPs?

Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^

I've been pulled over but not because of the test pipe. It was for loud exhaust. I'm pretty sure the cop could smell it though, since the fumes are very strong. I wasn't too nervous though if he checked under the car, because my test pipe is wrapped around with a gutted catalytic converter so it looks stock.

In my opinion, I'm never going to get test pipes after this Evo. I'm already parting it out, and selling it so I can get back to a G35. I'm done with go-fast parts and smelling like gasoline everywhere I go.

Oh and test pipes don't change the volume by much. So if you have a stock or quiet exhaust and add the test pipes, you should be fine as long as it stays quiet.

But if you do somehow get pulled over and the cop smells the test pipes, you're screwed and they could pop you for "Modified Smog", which is a whole lot worse than "Modified exhaust"
Is it certain states for modified smog? and is there anything you can do about the bad smell?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:35 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
labree... there is no rasp

Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have megan V2 test pipes.

The good
-One of the cheapest test pipes around
-Do what they are suppose to
-resonated so not much rasp except at high RPMs.....in a tunnel ( xD)
-hissing sound on deceleration so people think I have a turbo lol
-sounds quite nice
-and my favorite - has 02 sensor extensions built-in so no CEL. Well for me anyway. (2003.5 sedan)

The bad
-obviously the smell
-doesnt use the stock brackets so they will rattle along with your Y pipe.
-some people say the test pipes tend to crack on the flex joint (mines been ok)
-the smell
-that damn smell....

Old 10-19-2011, 03:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an injen ses catback. I'm just waiting to find someone with extension sockets so I can install it myself, and if it's too loud/smelly, I'll just uninstall. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
So with the smell issue, the best combo is the MD ART pipes coupled with the MD Y-pipe with HFC?

Or is the HFC too restrictive of airflow and negates the benefits of the ART pipes?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by jstudrawa
So with the smell issue, the best combo is the MD ART pipes coupled with the MD Y-pipe with HFC?

Or is the HFC too restrictive of airflow and negates the benefits of the ART pipes?
No the HFC is not restrictive all all maybe 1-2hp lose if i remember correctly and yes it does help with the smell

Old 10-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
There is no such thing in your price range, save your $$ until you can afford MotorDynes ART pipes.
Gary
Plus one million. I just got my v2.1 and boy may i say they are the bomb

Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
I've got kinetix HFCs. No rasp, no smell, no CEL. If you're really worried about the smell, an ecu tune should help with that....the reason it smells is because your stock ecu is trying to dump extra fuel in because of the increased flow...the stock ecu isn't real efficient with that though. You'll be running rich or lean. A tune with something like the Osiris system should put you back on point....it will also help you to take full advantage of the gains that test pipes or HFCs should provide.