Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

PPE Engineering LongTube Headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
i'm loving the S2's. i doubt any other cam combo would fix ur low-end issues, considering the S1's have the least low-end losses of an cam. i think the culprit here is just that the momentum-shorty + ART setup you where running was just a really nice setup w/ur cams and had an uncommonly good amount of low-end. so when you switched to the LTH's it made the loss feel alot lower than it would for someone running a more "typical" setup.

an aluminum 1pc shaft will def be a great bang for the buck mod. also high stall converters where going for 400ish last time i looked into it, just make sure you keep it cool. the only reasons i've shied away from picking one up is, i enjoy taking my car into the bends and don't wanna sacrifice responsiveness in that aspect. but for launches, it will no doubly put you into beast mode

Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by PR-G35Driver
your horsepower is nice.......do u think i'll hit that if i get cams??

my numbers now is 262whp/250wtq i had the headers tuned by another person jus to try out but my normal tuner guy says he can get more...we'll see.
You should due to the fact SG proved it on their car. SG was using Nismo cams which ar basically JWT S1's.

Just copy what they did for cams. Don't know what more aggressive cams will do I think they did a test with some C10's with modifications.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 AM
I think the issue is step location. sg has their step before the 1st bend.

Name:  DDW_1136.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  179.2 KB
Name:  DDW_1135.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  70.7 KB

Old 12-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Perhaps the cam is too small on the exhaust side to fully take advantage of the header design? I'm no expert and i'm just guessing here. I was planning on going with C8 cams.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by skidz88
Perhaps the cam is too small on the exhaust side to fully take advantage of the header design? I'm no expert and i'm just guessing here. I was planning on going with C8 cams.
Maybe, but PPE is looking into it. I originally wanted Kelford STG 1 cams they were ordered, but something happened to their shop so I got the JWT's. Do you have to modify the heads to fit the C8's?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
Maybe, but PPE is looking into it. I originally wanted Kelford STG 1 cams they were ordered, but something happened to their shop so I got the JWT's. Do you have to modify the heads to fit the C8's?
According to JWT they don't need head clearancing, it's only the C9 cams that do. Kelford would have been my second choice for cams.

Just found out my headers shipped out today as well.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by skidz88
According to JWT they don't need head clearancing, it's only the C9 cams that do. Kelford would have been my second choice for cams.

Just found out my headers shipped out today as well.
Cool!! Make sure you empty the box you should have the headers and a bag of hardware to extend you O2 sensors.

My bag was buried in the peanuts you will see I asked that they tie it to one of the flanges to avoid digging for the bag.

Take pics mine still look new after almost 2 months.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts
+1 on those c8 cams......thats what sasha recommended i get with my setup. he said low end loss would be very minimal. also that jwt sells c10 cams but custom not offered on the web if i wanted to go all out NA. but then he said i should build the engine if i do that. plus the idle would be pretty bad

Old 12-20-2011, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by PR-G35Driver
+1 on those c8 cams......thats what sasha recommended i get with my setup. he said low end loss would be very minimal. also that jwt sells c10 cams but custom not offered on the web if i wanted to go all out NA. but then he said i should build the engine if i do that. plus the idle would be pretty bad
I got to spend some time at SG and Sasha offered a lot of insight on this motor, that's how I decided. With the cost of labor involved might as well go big or risk having regret down the road.

Also I may eventually get a mild SC setup, nothing fancy just something I bolt on and enjoy. If I go that route I doubt I'll care about any low end loss lol.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
dsskyline, here is some of my inputs for you before you do anything too extreme and spend more money. Remember when i mentioned about my power loss down low on my thread a while back? Take a look at around 2600rpm on my graph. There is quite a bit power loss/delay and these are with custom cams made for my LTH. This is compared to when i was bolted with tomei cams. The loss is not nearly as severe as yours since your infliction point is right in the midrange, but nonetheless it has a very similar behavior. I've tried to compare my numbers to sgm around that area but all of their dynos read above 3k. Kacz07's car, which is also running SGM headers, appears to exhibit something similar to mine, but I am not entirely sure since it can be related to the dyno operator when he decided to let things rip (see second dyno graph in his post below). Another car that has this behavior is jmccarty's car, but he's running HKS headers. (second link)

http://my350z.com/forum/9111941-post342.html
http://my350z.com/forum/members/1270...orth-350z.html

I wish it would be as simple as for you to just swap cams, but you might be shooting in the dark trying a cam you think might be correct for your LTH (one reason i was reluctant in going back with my old tomei cams). Not sure if PPE can give any good insight on this matter since they don't have a DE there and the work involved to model a right cam for a set of header for any engine is not that simple. Hopefully with skidz88 installing them on his car with and maybe running c8s on his car might give you a better direction. So if i were you i'd wait for that before doing anything drastic. HTH.

Name:  SemiBuilt_Stroker.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  68.3 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by gabe3d:
Dsskyline (12-20-2011), SDGenius (12-20-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the post Gabe I'm basically done with it my last effort was with CIN all those tunes were retunes anyway luckily I was tuned at RT and CIN before.

I'm just going to get a higher stall converter to help with launching (wish that 3.7 gears were easy to find).

I may go SC also later next year I noticed the drop in your graph who knows maybe the location is changed since I'm auto.

I think I'm the only 5at with longtubes with a dyno.

Status on your SC can you post info and pics here? I'm on my350z more than here also.

Gabe can you post a side view of the SG headers in my post with the PPE headers? I seriously think step location plays a part in the drop.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:11 AM
bro, i picked up my 3.7 diff for like 200 on ebay. you just keep an eye out

Old 12-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by SDGenius
bro, i picked up my 3.7 diff for like 200 on ebay. you just keep an eye out
I have been looking on ebay. Is yours with VLSD?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts
+1 on some info on that supercharger gabe

Old 12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
it was off an "S" so i'm pretty sure it is

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PPE Engineering LongTube Headers