Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Stillen Intake - Nutral Stall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stillen Intake - Nutral Stall

Iv installed the stillen intake and z tube on my 35 about a year ago and experience the stalling in neutral (6sp M) that iv read a few threads about in the past.. never really bothered me as you shouldn’t really be coasting in neutral. But I thought it time to sort it out and fix it.. iv done a search and read a stack of threads about the problem but no threads about the solution..

There was one thread that mentioned splicing in to the vacuum line on the Ztube?? Anyone know anything more on this?? Or does anyone have a suitable fix to the problem?

Cheers

Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
That's not a typical problem you're having there. Sounds like an issue with the MAF sensor or ecu. I'd take it to a shop and have hook it up to an OBDII to see what codes it's throwing...i'm sure it's throwing something.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 PM
there seems to be ALOT of threads about people installing the stillen intake and only then experiencing the stall issue for it not to be related.
never happened to me till the day i put the stillen on. as per many other people

Old 02-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I've got a stillen intake and stillen tube on mine and I notice that when I put the car in neutral when going faster than say 20 the revs dip very low, the car has never stalled however, but there were times when I thought it was going to.

I bought the car with the intake so I didn't know this was a possible problem with the intake.

Interested to see what comes of this.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
clean your mass air flow sensor and then check back with us. I have a k&n intake and it happens to me whenever the maf is dirty. also if the stillen is an oiled filter then that is what is making the maf dirty and why it is so common. too much oil on a new filter or a cleaned filter will do that.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 PM
yeah as above.. it only happens when im doing approximately over 60km/h and in neutral.. revs will drop very low. if im doing over about 80km/h it will stall.. usually only when im being lazy exiting the highway/freeway and rolling down the offramps

Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by UCIMAplaya2
clean your mass air flow sensor and then check back with us. I have a k&n intake and it happens to me whenever the maf is dirty
ill tell them to do this on the next service as its coming up in a few weeks. see how it goes

Old 02-06-2012, 08:47 PM
this was pulled form other thread

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...BILITY_FIX.PDF

not sure if its related to this exact issue though

Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 AM
bump

Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just installed a ztube and a injen air filter to my 2004 g35x sedan for some reason my car wont start now it will crank but wont start so i put the stock intake back to it and it still wont start does anyone know what could be wrong?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by paagx
i just installed a ztube and a injen air filter to my 2004 g35x sedan for some reason my car wont start now it will crank but wont start so i put the stock intake back to it and it still wont start does anyone know what could be wrong?
How is your mass air flow sensor looking? Didn't have any problem swapping it over did you, ie drop it or accidentally knock it around a bit or even possibly insert it 180 degrees around from direction of flow (not sure that is even possible because there should be a tab that keeps you from doing that)

Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 PM
bump

Old 03-08-2012, 05:39 PM
I'd love to help you out with this but you never got back to me about the MAF sensor. This stalling while coming down from high revs or at high speeds and going into neutral is a common issue that I have dealt with in frequently on many cars in the past but without knowing more about what you have done to make sure it isn't the MAF sensor I can't tell you what to try next.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 PM
service is next week so ill get them to look at it..

i find it a bit odd to be the issue if it happened the day i swapped to the stillen, and so many other people have the same story.. surly they all dont get dirty the day we all swapped out intakes?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by GeNOS
service is next week so ill get them to look at it..

i find it a bit odd to be the issue if it happened the day i swapped to the stillen, and so many other people have the same story.. surly they all dont get dirty the day we all swapped out intakes?
Intakes like Stillin and the K&N typhoon for another example do tend to have this problem more often. Part of the problem is the design and the way the air flows through. This problem is compounded when the sensor is dirty. It was good enough for the stock intake but as soon as you change over it is more sensitive to this issue. Part of the reason is placement of the sensor in the tube. Also the oiled air filters especially new ones instantly make the sensor dirty by getting a film of oil on them. Don't bother waiting for your next service and hoping they clean it properly, just go to your local parts store and pick up a can of "mass airflow sensor cleaner." All it takes is two screws to remove the sensor. Spray it down, let it air dry and pop it back in. There is a DIY on here somewhere.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen Intake - Nutral Stall