Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Not Sure if my Weapon R secret intake is installed correctly - Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Not Sure if my Weapon R secret intake is installed correctly - Pics

Just installed a weapon R secret intake in place of my AEM Cold Air Intake. Now my AFR is running at like 12.0 - 12.1 At full throttle meaning more rich which makes me think that this intake is taking in less Air then the AEM CAI.

Here are pics of it installed, Do you guys see anything wrong with it. I feel that it is a bit too loose. Thats why I have zipties supporting it.

Please inform me if something looks like its installed incorrectly.

Name:  20141010_132625.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  79.6 KB
Name:  20141010_132630.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  73.5 KB
Name:  20141010_132636.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  87.1 KB

Attached Thumbnails Not Sure if my Weapon R secret intake is installed correctly - Pics-20141010_132625.jpg  
Old 10-11-2014, 12:21 AM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Check engine light on? Did you try the re-learn procedures?

Old 10-11-2014, 02:53 AM
I have an osiris tune. So i just set the map and started car. No engine light.

When i installed valve cover gasket i had to re-calibrate everything and i was unable to do it so the car kept starting and stalling right after. But then i set the map and it started up and stayed on. So i guess the maps set the calibrations.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Any one with an idea?? Im about to reinstall my AEM to see if its the intake causing the rich ratio. Because if it is, Then I ASSUME that the weapon R doesn't take in as much air as the AEM.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Did your aem intake go down behind the bumper? The short intakes and the long cai's make a big difference with my injen cai my car would stall. And just by taking off the pipe that puts the filter behind the bumper and putting the filter on the maf housing it runs great now. I dont know how the osiris tune works but if its tuned for a long intake maybe with the shorter intake with the filter on the maf housing maybe the rate of airflow is quicker even just slightly with out that extra 1.5ft. Idk thats my thought on it but that seems to be the problem with the long cai's.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Your first mistake was buying anything WeaponR, it's like way on the bottom of the quality barrel! They don't make products specific for our G35s, take it off and pray the vendor you bought it from will take it back. Zip ties? If it was made to fit there would be a bracket that bolts to the side of your plenum. Mr. Wong (our vendor) sells the Fujita intake, it comes with everything needed to fit/bolt up correctly. Or Stillens CAI is another intake that works great, made with composite plastic that won't be effected by heat...and comes with a giant K&N cone filter. You have sooo many better choices for intakes, do more research next time you buy a mod item for your ride...Gary

Old 10-13-2014, 02:11 PM
I didn't know Weapon R wasn't good. I actually heard good reviews on them. And I liked the fact that they had a FOAM filter. Thats what everyone seemed to like about them. My AEM went down to the bumper, and I think I might just try what WestSideblu recommended. I read all over that CAI is not good on our cars. So I went after Short Ram. And I was recommended to buy Weapon R.

So, I think best way to test is install AEM CAI back on, test AFR. If its good, then the new Intake must be worse, meaning taking in less air causing a richer AFR. IF its still bad, then maybe something needs to be reset or calibrated. I also want to try removing the pipe taking filter down to the bumper, because in the rain it tends to get really wet.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:05 PM
I just reinstalled my AEM CAI and what happens, my AFR is back where it needs to be (right around 13.0). I then tried installing the filter right after the MAF reader, so pretty much short ram AEM, and that was better then weapon R, but still rich (12.3). So i tried one last thing after, and I used the foam filter from the weapon R onto the AEM cold air pipe back down to the bumper region, and i got the best air flow (13.3 AFR). So, ya I will have to re-tune it to get a bit more fuel into this mixture, but this proves GARY C's point, Weapon R is garbage.

Should I post a review on WEAPON R for other peoples reference??

I also now wonder why people say short ram is better then CAI in our cars. I tried AEM short ram and it was much worse then the Cold Air piping (12.3 vs 13.0). And when a foam filter is used its even better air flow (13.3).

I haven't tried Z tube yet but, I dont think itll be better then the AEM CAI. Especially with those big nismo bumper ducts helping.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by LaserRedG35VS
I just reinstalled my AEM CAI and what happens, my AFR is back where it needs to be (right around 13.0). I then tried installing the filter right after the MAF reader, so pretty much short ram AEM, and that was better then weapon R, but still rich (12.3). So i tried one last thing after, and I used the foam filter from the weapon R onto the AEM cold air pipe back down to the bumper region, and i got the best air flow (13.3 AFR). So, ya I will have to re-tune it to get a bit more fuel into this mixture, but this proves GARY C's point, Weapon R is garbage. Should I post a review on WEAPON R for other peoples reference?? I also now wonder why people say short ram is better then CAI in our cars. I tried AEM short ram and it was much worse then the Cold Air piping (12.3 vs 13.0). And when a foam filter is used its even better air flow (13.3). I haven't tried Z tube yet but, I dont think itll be better then the AEM CAI. Especially with those big nismo bumper ducts helping.
unfortunately no ones gonna listen to you anyways. They'll continue buyin the chit for the same reasons they continue to buy XXRs and Megan etc.