Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Another exhaust rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another exhaust rattle

Hi all,

My flange near muffler rusted and I fixed it by buying two walker connectors and getting rid of rusted flange remnants, however, now something rattles near the cat heat shields. I took two hose clamps and put them on boths heat shields on the cats and it didn't fix the problem, I also see that previous owner put another hose clamp closer to y-pipe but it still rattles around 2k RPMS. I noticed that it stops rattling when I put something (either hammer or mallet) in between the driver's side exhaust and the chassis itself. I figured I would put something in between which would stop the rattle but I don't think either hammer or mallet will work on permanent basis

I figured I'd use something but I have no idea what so I decided to start a thread, any ideas on what exactly I can squeeze in between the exhaust and the chassis on driver's side between y-pipe and cat to make exhaust more solid and get rid of the rattle? I already have three hose clamps there so I'm not sure how many more I'll need to get rid of the rattle, I tried prying the pipe but it didn't work, I'm not really sure of exact source of rattle and the only thing that worked was pushing the pipe away from the chassis with the wooden end of the mallet/hammer.

Thanks.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:22 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Converter covers won't rattle when you have them welded!

Hose clamps, what's next wire hangers? Just for a minute, consider taking your G to a "Muffler Shop" where they can weld all those areas that have broken! Or maybe, you need a new exhaust system if it's rusted out!
Gary

Old 08-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Thanks Gary,

I really admire your approach but I can't justify spending 1k on a car just because Y-pipe heatshield is rusted at the tip. Anyways, I had nothing to do today and tried to give it another shot, I bought three 3-4 inch hose clamps and the noise is now gone. It was driver's side Y-pipe heatshield. Don't repeat my mistake and try to install hose clamps with a screwdriver as it will take ages, you won't be able to put enough torque too. Take 8mm ratchet and call it a day in 15 minutes.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Every time you get a leak/raddle in your exhaust system you add another hose clamp? That's called a "Band Aid" or temp fix! For the last time...you still with me? Have a muffler shop weld up or replace what ever leaks you may have! It won't cost you much and it will be fixed right! Quit investing in hose clamps!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 08-22-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Every time you get a leak in your exhaust system you add another hose clamp? That's called a "Band Aid" or temp fix! For the last time...you still with me? Have a muffler shop weld up or replace what ever leaks you may have! It won't cost you much and it will be fixed right! Quit investing in hose clamps!
Gary
There is no leak.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kinetek
There is no leak.
I chased rattles and buzzes forever in my 06x. The heat shields were rusted out completely. I eventually pulled off the cat and y-pipe heat shields because clamps and dampers couldn't stop the rattles. There's an old thread about the heat shield removal that I and a couple of other members were doing at the time and the tools we used to do it.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:50 PM
Ok, you have rattles! The same thing applies, a muffler shop can weld whatever's lose, replace rusted parts! They may suggest replacing the exhaust system if yours is rusted out which doesn't mean you have to spend $$ you don't have!
If the noise is coming from your converter covers don't remove them, they're on there for a reason...have them welded! Enough already!
Gary

Old 08-26-2016, 05:03 PM
So I spent 20$ for hose clamps and 3 hours on installing them here and there and it didn't work too much. I then found another exhaust shop who got rid of all rusted heatshields on my car for 40$ + tax and 30 minutes. I think I lost 5lbs of weight on a car looking at all those metal. I'm DIY guy but you really need to know when to stop not to waste your precious time of the sh$t which takes nothing to take care of if you have a gas torch. I hope my G is good to go now, it has 137k miles on it and the only issue I had for past 20k miles if the frigging exhaust. Which cost me 100$ to fix for now. Not too bad.