Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

G35 coupe 2004 spec D exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 coupe 2004 spec D exhaust advice

I have the spec D exhaust on my manual g and it’s pretty loud but it’s a little ricey at the top end, it doesn’t make that vq sound we all love. The mufflers themselves have those j pipe baffle/resonators whatever they are and I was thinking if anyone has cut them off before and what they think about it. I’m kind of trying to return to that vq sound as I want that but loud, this exhaust made it sound deeper and not very vq. Should I cut off them j pipes or those middle resonators and how will it affect the overall sound? No one seems to have done and post d it.

Last edited by Roy760; 04-24-2018 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Coupè
Old 04-26-2018, 01:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
those "J" pipes are helmholtz resonators. Same concept as that "J" that you see on ART pipes, except i doubt these are properly designed, but that's besides the point. The resonators are there to reduce rasp and drone, so please don't cut them off.

The HKS Hi-Power exhaust is not one that enhances the VQ sound. it actually kills the vq sound quite a bit. In order to reintroduce the vq trumpet noise, you'll need to get high flow cats to get the sound back. I wouldnt recommend test pipes is because that will also bring in rasp and you'll need a magnaflow resonated X pipe welded into the exhaust to resolve that issue and you.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by calvinc
those "J" pipes are helmholtz resonators. Same concept as that "J" that you see on ART pipes, except i doubt these are properly designed, but that's besides the point. The resonators are there to reduce rasp and drone, so please don't cut them off.

The HKS Hi-Power exhaust is not one that enhances the VQ sound. it actually kills the vq sound quite a bit. In order to reintroduce the vq trumpet noise, you'll need to get high flow cats to get the sound back. I wouldnt recommend test pipes is because that will also bring in rasp and you'll need a magnaflow resonated X pipe welded into the exhaust to resolve that issue and you.

i went ahead and had the mufflers removed all together since this is a **** 400 dollar catback. Hopefully it sounds decent lmao

Old 04-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
It's going to be ridiculously, stupidly loud. The problem with the HKS replica exhausts isn't the mufflers, it's the crappy h pipe. I hated the sound until I added the magnaflow resonated X pipe, now it's perfect.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
It's going to be ridiculously, stupidly loud. The problem with the HKS replica exhausts isn't the mufflers, it's the crappy h pipe. I hated the sound until I added the magnaflow resonated X pipe, now it's perfect.
damn lmao i had a feeling, it was loud as **** as it was before but i was told by the shop those mufflers are shitty themselves. If it’s too loud should I get the resonated x pipe instead of the H it has? Or will it still be very loud? I pick it up in 4 hours lol

Old 04-26-2018, 11:05 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Roy you've probably picked up your car by now only to find out it sounds like **** pissing people off a quarter mile at a time, congrats. May I highly suggest in the future you do a little research before you make any future exhaust changes and keep in mind the old adage "you get what you pay for". Quit listening to mechanics who don't have the knowledge you'll find on here to help you make wise choices, not foolish ones.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Roy you've probably picked up your car by now only to find out it sounds like **** pissing people off a quarter mile at a time, congrats. May I highly suggest in the future you do a little research before you make any future exhaust changes and keep in mind the old adage "you get what you pay for". Quit listening to mechanics who don't have the knowledge you'll find on here to help you make wise choices, not foolish ones.
i don’t regret it, it sounds better than before. The top end used to sound like a damn civic now it just sounds very loud and no more fart soda can sounds. It’s a 400 catback I could care less if I ruined it. I actually recommend this to anyone who has this trash catback.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:03 PM
Do y’all think there will be a difference for the better In sound if I replace the spec d h pipe with an x pipe? Or are these resonators just as shitty?

Old 04-27-2018, 02:30 PM
This is what my exhaust sounds like - I'm running the HKS rep mufflers (spec D, Godspeed, ebay, etc etc are all HKS replica exhausts and are the same) with the crappy ebay resonators swapped out with the magnaflow x pipe.

Hope you kept those mufflers.... Although I'd love to hear what a magnaflow resonated X pipe sounds like with no mufflers! It might actually sound good, although loud.

Last edited by cswlightning; 04-27-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
This is what my exhaust sounds like - I'm running the HKS rep mufflers (spec D, Godspeed, ebay, etc etc are all HKS replica exhausts and are the same) with the crappy ebay resonators swapped out with the magnaflow x pipe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3IFDkTrME

Hope you kept those mufflers.... Although I'd love to hear what a magnaflow resonated X pipe sounds like with no mufflers! It might actually sound good, although loud.
i did keep them he told me I could sell them lol but I might put them back on if it’ll sound like yours. But first let’s find out how it would sound with no mufflers and that x pipe. Before I get that done I need to be sure if you mean you replaced the resonators with the magnaflow x pipe and left the h pipe be?

Old 04-28-2018, 02:06 PM
My muffler guy replaced just the resonators and left the H pipe.... I don't see any upside to this however and I recommend replacing both the resonators and the H for a smoother tone. I'm eventually going to have the H pipe taken out when my OEM cats/flex pipe fails. That 350z isn't my car - it just has the same setup although likely without the H pipe.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:35 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Like a previous member posted, "You get what you pay for" and now you're throwing more $$ after bad...why? What you might have done was waited for a member selling a quality cat-back system, they generally go for half of retail and then sold the knock off POS you're running! This recommendation comes from someone that has run 5 different exhaust systems, although 2 were sponsored 1 OEM, I have plenty of experience!
Gary