Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Kinetix VQ35DE V+ Plenum vs Motordyne Copper Iso Thermal plenum spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 11:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
stock G35 coupe
Originally Posted by onevq35de
Here's a link to my thread; https://www.infinitiscene.com/thread...e-mods.230572/
Much of what I did is on my thread. Most is regarding wire tucking. Deleting the washer fluid res., useless heater hoses, idler pulley & bracket, oil filter heater, brake booster and pass. side fuel hard lines are not addressed.

Man its just so clean inside, like it has an extra 100hp just for cleanliness! Thanks for the copy to your link, i am going to save it and go check it out!

Old 11-25-2018, 07:03 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
You're welcome. Got hit by a guy in a parking lot @ 5 mph. I just got it back from the body shop who had it for over 2 weeks to turn this

into this.

One thing I found useful is dawn platinum dish soap. I used a heavy duty degreaser and Gunk initially to clean the engine and bay. When I got it back from the shop, they got compound all over the damn place and some ended up in the bay + the bay hadn't been cleaned really well like I did over a year ago which is when I originally did the bay. I heated up some water and used 10 pumps of the foam dispenser for this platinum soap then sprayed the engine and bay. I waited 15 minutes then rinsed it off and i was surprised how much crap came off. My driveway is sealed with a solid solvent based stain, so all the ridges collect the dirt and is very visible. Looks like this soap + hot water did the trick as here was a lot of black crap in these ridges after rinsing and the bay was a little brighter. Good tip if someone's already got a relatively clean bay but if it's not, you're gonna be scrubb'n.

Last edited by onevq35de; 11-25-2018 at 07:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GraysG35 (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 02:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
stock G35 coupe
They did a fantastic repair job!

onevq35de (11-25-2018)
Old 11-02-2020, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FBO
@ One:
Absolutely right. I have no experience with the 5/16" spacer or the MREV2 intake, but I sprung for the Kinetix V+, and the "butt dyno" told me I had a completely different car. Torque was insanely improved in the midrange and up top. It pulls to the redline with no discernable drop. Now...I did exactly what you did, One, and removed a whole bunch of internal casting trash, and then blended and radiused all of the sharp edges. I ended up taking out almost 3/8" of material at the restrictive bend that was very poorly cast (or at the least--left unfinished). As easy as it would have been for Kinetix to set these up right from the get go, I was disappointed, as the inlet is more restrictive than the stock intake, but this plastic is very easy to modify, and flow gains are substantial. Coupled with my home-built true cold air intake, Z1 HFCs, ISR Y-pipe, 75mm throttle body and Megan Exhaust, this car is competent, reliable and quick. The key to having the V+ intake be the best option available is realizing there is home-fabbing to be done with a Dremel/die grinder, and I highly recommend as the OP mentioned sealing the cork gasket with sealant--in my case, grey, high temp "The Right Stuff". These intake plenums are easy to carve, supercede a spacer and allow for much more intake volume without all the restrictions of the stock plenum (20%) making them a better choice than the spacer alone, can be easily port-matched to a 75mm TB, as One mentioned, but unlike aluminium, they are also easy to mess up if you dig too deep, or set out without a plan. If you are unwilling or lack the skills to port it, this is probably not a good option for you, as they are *almost* disgraceful out of the box. If you are on a budget and willing to do the work, they are likely the best money spent for a significant increase in NA power, but you must radius that restrictive inlet into the main chamber. As for looks...yeah, well...it ain't gonna win any beauty contests, but for me, that's entirely secondary. The new V+, having been re-engineered, is much stronger than the first effort, and I am very pleased with the performance. My heat gun reads 37° cooler than the aluminum plenum, which is not the 50° they advertise, but it's a significant improvement. (And use a torque wrench for the installation)
Cheap...reliable...performance.

Last edited by Cornercarver; 11-03-2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Scottwax (11-02-2020)