Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

AEM Cold air

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Location: Live in North Virginia, about 5 minutes outside of DC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM Cold air

hello all, I'm new here, but didn't find much on AEM on the search.

I just bought my G35 Coupe in September, and am looking for something that ups the power just a bit, and makes it sound a bit meaner. Its a 2005 6MT.

the questions I have are about the AEM, as I was told they were pretty good and that they had the hydrolock prevention on thier cold air intakes.

I notice alot of people here mention the Stillen's CIA, and am just pretty much asking for recomendations and thoughts on AEM and if there are other brands better or more suited for my car.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Please take my advice and DO NOT use the AEM intake (or Nismo for that matter.....since they are the same).

I had the AEM and lost noticable low-end power.

The Stillen is a great choice. You won't lose any power at all, you'll be a zero risk for hydrolock and your car will sound great.

The AEM intake is way too long and can only stand to hurt your car's performance.

I stripped off my AEM and went with the Pop-Charger and Z-tube instead.

If you have any further questions regarding what I said and want a more scientific explaination, Doug at CrawfordZ can provide dyno sheets as proof.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:22 AM
ok, thanks for the advice man. I have been browsing the Stillen site to see what they have, and just wondering what are peoples thoughts of the Stillen CAI verse the K&N Typhoon intake.

one last dumb question, when adding the CAI, the sound, is it more of a higher pitches sound or a more bass filled growl?

Old 02-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Since i haven't had it on in a while, I've kinda forgotten the sound. To be honest, I don't remember any dramatic sound difference at all.

Now, both the Pop Charger and the Stillen intake will give that more muscle-car effect. A much more aggressive, but not obnoxious sound.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:51 AM
ok, after going over what you said and the site, i'm not sure what you mean by the pop charger. i was looking at getting the Stillen CAI http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...d=43127&page=1

and the Z Tube to compliment it. thoughts?

thanks for your advice in this too, im new to the G35 world, always wanted one, finally got one, now want to make it better

Old 02-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Banned
Why not check this out? I have a hard time with the almost $200 for a filter, ring and air box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

you can get the Ztube here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

There was a test done showing that there was only 1 to 2HP difference between CAI's and WAI's so I don't think you'll be trading off very much. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:58 PM
thanks for the links, Rebel, i may end up going that route after all, with the pop charger and z tube kit.

now i just have to figure out this rim thing and lip thing

Old 02-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
You'll be fine with either the Pop-Charger or the Stillen box. Both are good. So is the good 'ol K&N drop in filter with the Z-Tube.

Just don't mess with the long CAI systems. Bad news!

Old 02-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Heres where u can get the z-tube and jwt pop charger combo.
mynismo.com or everythingg35.com check it out.

Old 02-15-2006, 01:46 AM
thanks for all the leads and info, guys, i apreciate the help. i have been going back and forth between everythingg35.com and stillen.com and they pretty much have the same price ranges.

ok, let me work this out, what are the exact benefits of the Z Tube and the Pop Charger or the Stillen box. more power? better sound? all of the above?

and here is another good question, once i get those on my car, what would be the next logical progression for more speed? an exhaust?

Old 02-15-2006, 01:58 AM
im quite pleased with my Injen CAI. . .

Old 02-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Originally Posted by Big-Tool
thanks for all the leads and info, guys, i apreciate the help. i have been going back and forth between everythingg35.com and stillen.com and they pretty much have the same price ranges.

ok, let me work this out, what are the exact benefits of the Z Tube and the Pop Charger or the Stillen box. more power? better sound? all of the above?

and here is another good question, once i get those on my car, what would be the next logical progression for more speed? an exhaust?
You'll get different opinions on this, but here's mine:

My mods went in this order:

Crawford high-flow cats
JWT Pop Charger with Z-Tube
Borla Exhaust
1/2" Motordyne Spacer

I usually try to do something for the exhaust, then something for the car's breathing. I try to keep it balanced out. Since the cats are the most restrictive part of the car, I wanted to free it up first.

The aftermarket intakes will MAYBE provide a little power, but they are more just something that helps your car make the most of the other breathing mods that you add later.....in my opinion (and yes, it helps the sound too).