Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

MREV+ installed on a NON REVUP engine!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I know 300 RWHP isn't obtainable without FI or other drastic measures. I should have said 300 crank HP. I am still nervous about exhaust drone with the Stillen Gen2 exhaust. I called Stillen and asked them to rate the OEM and their exhaust on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being loudest. The guy ranked the OEM at a 3 and the Stillen Gen2 a 4-4.5. I really need to hear one of these new exhausts.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
I have Stillen Gen 1 with 1/2" spacer (no MREV2 - yet)... 04 non RevUp AT sedan... 248.61 HP and 229.96 TQ on Dynojet - 271 HP and 249.6 TQ on Dynapack.

Needless to say I'm anxious to see MREV2 dyno's with 1/2" spacer...

Yes, you can reach 300 crank HP - not likely to reach 300 RWHP
Nice numbers for an Auto! Hey are your only mods the 1/2" spacer, and who's is it, and the exhuast or anything else? Have you raced it at the track yet?

Gotta love Dynapacks...they add more RWHP than a stage 1 Turbo...LMAO!

Old 05-25-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by RichK
Yeah I know 300 RWHP isn't obtainable without FI or other drastic measures. I should have said 300 crank HP. I am still nervous about exhaust drone with the Stillen Gen2 exhaust. I called Stillen and asked them to rate the OEM and their exhaust on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being loudest. The guy ranked the OEM at a 3 and the Stillen Gen2 a 4-4.5. I really need to hear one of these new exhausts.
Rich I have a brand new Stillen on my 05 5AT Coupe and you cannot even tell it's there. It was my biggest concern as this is my daily driver and being in front of clients, etc...I didn't want it to sound ricey or just plain old obnoxious...but again, it souds stock...a little deaper under low speed loads, and that's about it...I highly recommend it.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bosssho
Rich I have a brand new Stillen on my 05 5AT Coupe and you cannot even tell it's there. It was my biggest concern as this is my daily driver and being in front of clients, etc...I didn't want it to sound ricey or just plain old obnoxious...but again, it souds stock...a little deaper under low speed loads, and that's about it...I highly recommend it.
Thanks alot! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I also carry clients around and don't want my car to sound like a kids car. Looks like I'll have to order one.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:46 PM
No prob, take care.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Nice numbers for an Auto! Hey are your only mods the 1/2" spacer, and who's is it, and the exhuast or anything else? Have you raced it at the track yet?

Gotta love Dynapacks...they add more RWHP than a stage 1 Turbo...LMAO!
spacer is Tony's (Motordyne) - best bang for the buck I have... exhaust is Stillen's first gen... Stillen CAI with thermal coated Z-Tube (coating is lizard skin)... Motordynes Isothermal kit (with manual plenum coolant valve always closed)... Technosquare F-Flash... 170F thermostat. Some matters, some doesn’t - but that's what I have. HP has been good to me from the beginning, but I'd like more mid TQ (working on it).

Have raced 1/4 & 1/8 mile... tracks here are crap so numbers don’t reflect performance of the car.

Dynapack as you know is a completely different method of reading HP and TQ - really doesn’t add RWHP, just a different reading. My car has always held it's own at dyno days with other NA VQ's (MT, AT, coupe, sedan), so I'm relatively satisfied... but who is ever completely content?... I have more tweaks in the works.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:13 AM
i was wondering when it comes to plenums and spacers which i should get for my 04 g35....i know the mrev2 with the 5/16 spacer is intended for newer versions but if i were to get a chip (which again i ask u which u recommend) would that be the best combo? i would be able to fix any problems if the car were to be running lean with this chip right? i dont know as much as these other guys about cars so i was hoping u could explain to me what kind of results id see - also should i get the 1/2" spacer? i would also want lower and upper plenum spacers right? if u could explain in laymans terms thatd be better - right now my 04 g35 comes with what exactly? and what new parts would be needed to have the whole package being the lower and upper plenums and mrev2 (does mrev2 go on top and bottom?) sorry for all these questions im trying to learn as much as i can, its getting frustrating...if u could find the time to answer that would greatly be appreciated...thanks

Old 06-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
spacer is Tony's (Motordyne) - best bang for the buck I have... exhaust is Stillen's first gen... Stillen CAI with thermal coated Z-Tube (coating is lizard skin)... Motordynes Isothermal kit (with manual plenum coolant valve always closed)... Technosquare F-Flash... 170F thermostat. Some matters, some doesn’t - but that's what I have. HP has been good to me from the beginning, but I'd like more mid TQ (working on it).

Have raced 1/4 & 1/8 mile... tracks here are crap so numbers don’t reflect performance of the car.

Dynapack as you know is a completely different method of reading HP and TQ - really doesn’t add RWHP, just a different reading. My car has always held it's own at dyno days with other NA VQ's (MT, AT, coupe, sedan), so I'm relatively satisfied... but who is ever completely content?... I have more tweaks in the works.
I was only busting ***** when I said that about the dynapaks, but I think you knew that.

The one thing I would like is more torque too...Let me know if you find something that works...as our mods are pretty similar.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:34 AM
i repeated some questions but there are some new ones in here ive been reading for hours trying to learn what all of u guys already know so tired to look over this to see which questions are repeated, ok here it goes...........i see a lot of people have crawford plenums for the top - and it looks as if in the threads u guys only refer to mrev2 as being on the bottom...can mrev be on top and bottom - also is it better to have mrev2 on top and bottom rather than the crawford on top and modded mrev2 on bottom......what exactly is tony doing to the mrev2's? can i just buy mrev2's from another site? or is tony doing something special to them where i would actually have to get it directly from him? same question with spacers...i can get them for top and bottom? one last question - im getting the same exhaust u have (i sent this to andy, as u can see im desperately searching for answers), ive been searching exhausts for awhile and that one appeals to me most, i was wondering how much u think it will cost to install after i order and is there anything i should know about it?

Old 06-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by egbplatinum
i was wondering when it comes to plenums and spacers which i should get for my 04 g35....i know the mrev2 with the 5/16 spacer is intended for newer versions but if i were to get a chip (which again i ask u which u recommend) would that be the best combo? i would be able to fix any problems if the car were to be running lean with this chip right? i dont know as much as these other guys about cars so i was hoping u could explain to me what kind of results id see - also should i get the 1/2" spacer? i would also want lower and upper plenum spacers right? if u could explain in laymans terms thatd be better - right now my 04 g35 comes with what exactly? and what new parts would be needed to have the whole package being the lower and upper plenums and mrev2 (does mrev2 go on top and bottom?) sorry for all these questions im trying to learn as much as i can, its getting frustrating...if u could find the time to answer that would greatly be appreciated...thanks

Eggy,

I don't know who you are asking b/c you didn't address anyone specifically, but I don't want to leave you hanging so hear goes:

If you have an 04G35 you do NOT have a REV UP engine. So, since I don't know if you have a 6 Spd or a 5AT or a Coupe or a Sedan, I will just talk general. Oh, and I don't know where you live either so I don't know if you are near Technosquare in CA or AAM in MD or if you can get 93 Octane or not?

The MREV V2 replaces the lower section of your 2 stage Upper Plennum. The spacers, 5/16 or 1/2 go in between your lower collector (What could be an MREV V2 or if you leave the lower stock collector alone it would be stock) and the upper intake plennum. The 5/16 gives the best bang for the buck with HP and TQ, but the 1/2, while sacraficing some low end gives the most peak HP on top...much like an 05-06 6sp REV UP engine does. A Crawford Upper Plenum negates the need for a spacer b/c, like the spacer, it adds the extra air volume needed to your overall plenum volume which fixes the air choke off on the front two runners where you stock upper plenum slants way down to run with the hood line.

There are no more spacers. There are isothermal gaskets you can put between the lower collector and the very last plenum piece that sits on top of your engine, and you can isolate your throttle body from your upper plenum with a isothermal bypass there too, but neither is a spacer.

I live in NE so I drove to AAM and had my car reflashed and then tuned on the dyno. Technosquare does the same, but has no dyno out in CA. If you live near one I would go with them...neither is a chip, but a reflash of your ECU...which requires you to take out your glove box and get at your ECU and shipt it to one of these places if you can't driver to either place. It's a 3 day ordeal, but worth it. You can go to either website, as you can go to Motordyne's for complete info on all of this...and Crawfords too.

If you did any two combos mentioned without a retune you would run lean and you would more than negate any benefits b/c the engine would pull timing to keep it self from knocking under load.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2006, 12:00 PM
^^^ Excellent information – he is right on target… just a few additional thoughts:

1) There are other plenum spacer choices, but I’m not going to mention them because I feel Tony’s (Motordyne) is a proven performer, reliable and trustworthy customer service (not that the other aren’t, just that I’ve been happy with my ˝” so that’s what I recommend).

2) As of this time, it seems to be a wise choice to chose either spacer OR lower collector, because from what I have gathered the combo doesn’t provide enough gains (yet) to qualify as a good “bang for the buck” purchase. This is my opinion obviously; others may differ. Having that been said, if you want a stealth/OEM look it seems the MREV2 is a very good option. Otherwise a ˝” or 5/16” spacer will give similar gains. The spacer is less expensive but is noticed to an eye that knows what to look for – but MUCH more stealth than an after marker plenum such as Crawford or Kinetix (which will give similar gains as the spacer).

3) If you intend to do additional modding – such as CAI, exhaust, headers, cats, or any combination – wait until you are complete to have your ECU re-mapped… If you intend to add mods incrementally over a period of time an ECU flash is advisable then you can have it re-flashed for a nominal fee (less than original) when you add additional breathing and exhaust mods (at least through Technosquare, not sure about the one or two others that re-map ECU).

In summary – My opinion is a good intake and exhaust combined with a ˝” or 5/16” spacer and ECU flash is a very good initial combination. When more results are posted regarding the lower collector – my impressions might differ. Please note – I am not indicating AT ALL that other options are not equally viable… nor am I stating that plenums, lower collectors, etc are not advisable. Just that I have concluded (for myself) that the above-mentioned works well at a reasonable price and offers very good bang for the buck as N/A is concerned.

There are many other minor tweaks that will help in small ways – once you have the initial basics covered you will be hooked and (if like me) will continue to gather informative opinions and test results to determine what other tricks you want to add to your new hobby.

Good luck! Happy modding!!!

Old 06-10-2006, 12:12 PM
I was only busting ***** when I said that about the dynapaks, but I think you knew that.

The one thing I would like is more torque too...Let me know if you find something that works...as our mods are pretty similar.
Word has it that the MREV2 might add mid TQ - and I have anxiously been awaiting more results... Since we are on the same page as to what we need performance wise I'd suggest keeping abreast on that development.

There are a couple of other things I've been waiting to shake out... Tony was testing 1 or 2 ideas at a dyno day several months ago - one seemed to add moderate (actually minor) TQ - but I haven’t heard him mention it anywhere else so I don’t know if he is working on development or not.

Tony has heard me state many times that I am after TQ - and if anyone is capable of developing it he is! But considering his great success over the recent past his time is sparse... I'm sure as his company grows he will delegate duties and have more time for R&D of various ideas... in the mean time it looks like what is a proven performer get the majority of his attention - which is completely understandable.

The way I understand it much more is to come from Motordyne and personally I am very excited for his biz to grow so we can see more of his ideas help our addiction!

Old 06-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I haven't dyno'd my car I feel that I'm pretty in tune with its' performance and sound.
I added the MREV-2 to my simple set of mods (sig) the other week and I'm convinced that I have more low to mid range torque, much more noticable in 2nd and 3rd gear from 3-5K rpms than ever before. I'm so convinced that I returned my stock lower collector to MD which I originally thought I'd hold onto 'till dyno proven.

After seeing the original dyno's with the lean AF I was concerned but I'd swear that is not what's happenning here.

I've now arranged to get the ECU reflashed by AAM through a GB that was run on the Fresh Alloy site thinking that their adjusting the AFR as well as eliminating the rev and TB limiters can only help matters.

Since I plan to add the Kinetix Cats now as well, should I tell AAM to consider these in the reflash so as to save time and money?

Anybody waiting or on the fence about the MREV-2 - I'd say do it!!

...just do it!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:29 PM
I have a question that I hope has a simple answer:

Car: '05 Coupe 6MT

I already own a MD 5/16" spacer, but it is not yet installed.

Should I buy a MREV2 to go with it?
Does it make any sence to run them together, or should I just go with one and not the other?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
^ Yes, the spacer and mrev2 is a great combo and highly recommended. Also, you might as well wait until you have both of them before installing, so you don't have to take everything back out again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MREV+ installed on a NON REVUP engine!