Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

350Z duct & Stillen Hi-flow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 06:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: 350Z duct & Stillen Hi-flow

edited. That post wasn't there before.
'03.5 Brilliant Silver Sedan
Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter
Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Clear Corners, Alum Pedals<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by khsonic03 on 09/26/03 09:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-26-2003, 07:30 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DaveO,

I removed my engine cover 2 weeks ago and put it on the
shelf. My engine temp needle registers 1 less tick mark.
I like the looks of your 350Z cover. It would seem that
any cover at all actually makes the engine run hotter.
Think I'm just gonna leave mine off all the time, it shows
my red 12 wire Hyper-grounding much better!

2003 Twilight Blue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards,
GG/DB red 12 wire Hyper-grounding kit,
350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox

Old 09-26-2003, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cato,

I ran without an engine cover for quite a while but finally decided to go with the 350Z Ornament for two reasons.

1 - I didn't care for the unfinished look at the front of the engine.

2 - Gordgee's 7-wire Hyper-Ground wires weren't "stealthy" without the cover.

3 - The engine's temperature gauage remained the in exactly the same place with or without the cover.

DaveO

Old 09-26-2003, 12:25 PM

I seriously doubt that will make any difference in performance. You will see maybe .2 HP with that one. You would only need to worry about forced induction engines because of the heat generated by the supercharger or turbo. That is why turbos are insulated and superchargers are intercooled.

Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Clear Corners, Alum Pedals

Old 09-26-2003, 01:55 PM

Some amazing observations.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by DaveO on 09/26/03 11:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-26-2003, 06:46 PM

Well, what sort of improvements in power do you expect to see? You must be joking me if you expect to see anything over 1 or 2 horse. That's alot of money just for that amount of gain. Do you open track or race? Maybe some small benefit there, but you might as well just remove the thing completely. How are you measuring the temp, with the hood up or down? Don't you think with the hood down you are going to get the same effect that you would with the engine cover? I just don't see the major benefit to this.

Old 09-27-2003, 02:03 PM

No replies? I am just trying understand the significant benefits.

Old 09-27-2003, 04:25 PM

khsonic03,

I originally answered your post, but then thought better of it.

Referencing my final comment in my detailed post above, unless I forgot, I believe I said...

"That's what I've done. The theory may be questioned by some, but I enjoyed doing it and it brings about good discussions with good people."

Enough said on the subject.

DaveO

Old 10-19-2003, 06:03 PM

What happens to the black tube that goes to the original G35 intake. Does it attaches to the 350X tube

Old 10-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the tube attaches to the bottom of the 350Z intake, instead of the top. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-20-2003, 11:49 PM

Yeah ryoken is right if you are talking about a 3 inch piece of tube that has the mass air flow sensor in it?

I just installed this combo today and DAMN it gorwls so loud at WOT that i can barely hear my radio, but i don't have the whistle??????

What up with my install??

-Eric

'03.5 Bril Silver/Black || Prem || Perf || Aero || Solid Allum Pedals || Allum Matts (Infinit Logo) || Tints

Old 10-21-2003, 01:32 PM

Does it growl under heavy acceleration or is it all the time? Also during normal driving conditions, taking the rmp from 1-3K is it too noticeable?

Old 10-21-2003, 09:47 PM

Only under heavy acceleration, but damn its a big differance from the stock... today driving to school and passing a friend standing at a bus stop it growled reall loud as i accelerated... he later told me is sounded like some super sports car.... real beast! i made a vid today of me going 115mph on an expressway in miami, after my install last night, i'll leave it at that in case their any cops out there!

Sound starting to smooth out, i hope its alright i am going on roadtrip to virginia tommorrow morning!!!

-Eric

'03.5 Bril Silver/Black || Prem || Perf || Aero || Solid Allum Pedals || Allum Matts (Infinit Logo) || Tints

Old 10-22-2003, 03:32 PM

Hi, DaveO.
Re your comment "and I'm still trying to find a way to determine if or when the base of the windshield becomes a high pressure area". Typically the base of the windshield is a high pressure area. This is one reason the HVAC openings are located there. Some drag cars have what appears to be an air scoop on backwards with the opening at the base of the windshield. This is to take advantage of the high pressure available to increase the ram effect. I would be careful about removing some of the firewall seal. This could allow gases from the engine compatment to enter the passenger compartment.

I've been told by an Infiniti tech. that the underside of the car is designed to have a low pressure area just aft of the transmission. This is to allow hot air from the engine compartment to escape easier. Having studied the underside of my sedan while it was on a rack, this seems reasonable.

IMHO, the ideal plenum cooling design would duct outside air from the area occupied by the auxiliary intake, around the plenum, then direct the outlet down towards the transmission. This is a lot of effort and may impare the effectivness of the intake. It may be better to insulate the plenum. This would keep the plenum, and the intake air, close to ambient when the engine is running. However, there may be so much heat transfer from the heads through the intake manifold to the bottom of the plenum that any modifications may be rendered moot.

<font color=blue>Dan</font color=blue>

Old 10-22-2003, 10:40 PM

Dan,

Thanks for your input. I certainly agree that the base of the windshield is typically a high pressure area and have owned a couple of cars that took advantage of that fact.

After driving a several hundred miles with the firewall seal separated I've noticed two things;

1 - The hot air that used to come through the air vents with the AC off isn't there anymore. I pulled the seal to the inner edge of each fender to maximize the opening. This allowed the seal to cover one of the openings in the battery cover. I don't know if this was the fix or not, but something changed. (FM?)

2 - The area around the seal opening and the small rubber hose now gets dirtier/duster than I had noted before.

I've continued to check the underhood temperatures. The bare upper collector still runs as much as 40F + cooler than the area under cover and 10F + cooler than the black plastic Z air duct.

I certainly give your "insulated" plenum theory some thought. My initial take on the subject is cooler is better.

Thanks again,

DaveO

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 350Z duct & Stillen Hi-flow