Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

$5 Door Lock Motor (Actuator) Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asad_A203
That is good to hear, mine is going intermittently (I can open the lock sometimes electronically, other times it dies). This car has so many electronic issue, same thing with my windows too (I need to replace the motors I think)!

Mannyz33 would you mind if I send you a PM once I get all the parts over to make sure I am doing right?
No, I don't mind, what ever you need to ask, just ask.
Yeah...... These cars are known for failure with the CD changer, door lock actuators, bad window motors, grease on window........etc

Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts
Grease on the window is known thing? Crap I thought it was a previous owner's fault.
I've replaced my passenger side window motor already and will be doing my driver side door lock actuator whenever it comes in from the website in the OP.
Let me get this straight. If I have an OEM actuator, and want to swap with another OEM actuator, I would have to remove my window. But if I have an OEM actuator and swap with the $5 one, I do not have to remove my window. Right?

Old 06-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by pythonjosh
Grease on the window is known thing? Crap I thought it was a previous owner's fault.
I've replaced my passenger side window motor already and will be doing my driver side door lock actuator whenever it comes in from the website in the OP.
Let me get this straight. If I have an OEM actuator, and want to swap with another OEM actuator, I would have to remove my window. But if I have an OEM actuator and swap with the $5 one, I do not have to remove my window. Right?
Correct, cause your just tapping into the wires which are located down towards the bottom, to wire the system.
As for mounting, yes again, cause your mounting the unit on the door panel, NOT inside the door it self like the OEM unit

Old 06-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I went ahead and bought 2. I'll do the passenger side when I have time. Driver side needs it.
When I get my install done, I'll probly buy 10 of em and advertise around here to fix any car's door locks. Universal is universal
With this i'd bet it's easy to convert a car to power door locks as well.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 PM
help

I purchased two of these actuators and installed on the passenger side first...and it DIDNT work! =( ...i know i installed correctly and checked the wiring to find no errors in the install...i also put a volt meter on the door lock wires behind the speaker and found that when i press lock, the volt meter jumps just over 20v...but when i press unlock, it jumps to 0v. Any ideas? Thanks for your time!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by ccalimquim
I purchased two of these actuators and installed on the passenger side first...and it DIDNT work! =( ...i know i installed correctly and checked the wiring to find no errors in the install...i also put a volt meter on the door lock wires behind the speaker and found that when i press lock, the volt meter jumps just over 20v...but when i press unlock, it jumps to 0v. Any ideas? Thanks for your time!
I'm no wireing expert here.............try reversing the wireing or checking all conections, make sure nothing is lose or not crimped tight enough.
Try the other side and see if that works..........

Old 06-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Well ****, the pictures in the OPs post are gone. Does anyone have them saved so I can figure out how to rig this thing up?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Try reading the entire thread before posting. (page 3)

Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by pythonjosh
Try reading the entire thread before posting. (page 3)
All the Pics I posted on page three should be good enough to get the job done.
If you have any questions PM me like many others have.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Just got it done and everything works great...except

I noticed the car is now auto locking both doors after I unlock them like 2 minutes later. I can't figure out why the car would do this? Has anyone ever encountered something this? I haven't checked to see if this happens when the car is on. I just noticed it while the car was parked in the garage.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by treydawg
Just got it done and everything works great...except

I noticed the car is now auto locking both doors after I unlock them like 2 minutes later. I can't figure out why the car would do this? Has anyone ever encountered something this? I haven't checked to see if this happens when the car is on. I just noticed it while the car was parked in the garage.
my G would do that but then when I unlocked it a second time or press the unlock buton a couple of times inorder to remain open.

Not a bad thing though in case you forget to lock your doors

Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Mannyz33
my G would do that but then when I unlocked it a second time or press the unlock buton a couple of times inorder to remain open.

Not a bad thing though in case you forget to lock your doors
It's weird, I never noticed it before. It must be something caused by the new actuators, why, I don't know. Oh well, saved me over 280 bucks. Thanks again Manny!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by treydawg
It's weird, I never noticed it before. It must be something caused by the new actuators, why, I don't know. Oh well, saved me over 280 bucks. Thanks again Manny!
no problem.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mannyz33, thank you much, just added my Parts Express $5.00 door lock actuator. Your pictures were extremely helpful as well as your wiring descriptions. It took me about 4 hours to complete the work. Key to success was careful planning and being extra careful of the wiring. I disconnected the car battery to ensure nothing could possibly be shorted out.
Remember though that the behavior of your door locks change when the key is in the ignition or when the engine is running. After completing the installation of the $5 door actuator everything appeared fine, door would lock and unlock normally. However when I started the engine and pressed the lock switch the door locked and then immediately unlocked. Well after wasting about 30 minutes trying to figure out why, I realized the door locks, by design, are not allowed to lock with the door open WITH the keys in the ignition or while the engine is running. Just wanted to pass this info on to others who may experience the same issue. Great DIY project! Thanks Manny

Old 08-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by coconutman351
Mannyz33, thank you much, just added my Parts Express $5.00 door lock actuator. Your pictures were extremely helpful as well as your wiring descriptions. It took me about 4 hours to complete the work. Key to success was careful planning and being extra careful of the wiring. I disconnected the car battery to ensure nothing could possibly be shorted out.
Remember though that the behavior of your door locks change when the key is in the ignition or when the engine is running. After completing the installation of the $5 door actuator everything appeared fine, door would lock and unlock normally. However when I started the engine and pressed the lock switch the door locked and then immediately unlocked. Well after wasting about 30 minutes trying to figure out why, I realized the door locks, by design, are not allowed to lock with the door open WITH the keys in the ignition or while the engine is running. Just wanted to pass this info on to others who may experience the same issue. Great DIY project! Thanks Manny

No problem, glad I could help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: $5 Door Lock Motor (Actuator) Fix