Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

$5 Door Lock Motor (Actuator) Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to the members that have done this DIY mod how is it holding up?
Has any $5 motor lasted more than a year?

Old 12-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts
mine is working fine.. did it about 6 months ago

Old 12-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mine stopped working after two months, and it has been a month since it has stopped working lol. it has been cold here so i'm too lazy to take the door apart and investigate. hopefully its a loose wire or something because it was a bitch to install.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both doors working like a charm, installed it in Nov. I cut the wires running to the original door lock actuators to reduce any additional load to the lock control unit vs. just tapping off power from the existing lines running to the original lock actuators.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coconutman351
Both doors working like a charm, installed it in Nov. I cut the wires running to the original door lock actuators to reduce any additional load to the lock control unit vs. just tapping off power from the existing lines running to the original lock actuators.
where did you cut the wires? behind the speaker inside the door?

Old 12-23-2009, 04:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for you gents who have done this mod

So for you guys who have done this, the other end of the rod, is it actually hooked aruond anything? Or is it just contacting the horizontal medal rod, that JFpound had to dremel that plastic piece away from?

Also where did you connect the wires? How/Where did you splice and reconnect the wires together?

Looking to do this myself in the next couple of days.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:43 AM
where are the pics that were supposed to be on p.3? Or was this thread shortened?

my driver's side is acting up and I suppose I'll go this route and get it fixed.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
very nice DIY but pics aren't working. this is so helpful it could prolly even get a sticky. infiniti is a rip when it comes to these little parts it seems

Old 01-05-2010, 04:47 PM
The only negative of this is that it has added some vibration noise for some of my music. Mine is still working after about 6 months though.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 AM
mine works great

Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 PM
I just ordered this door lock actuator from Sonic Electronix. They are in SoCal so it should be here in a day or two.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Actuator-.html

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I can not view your pictures on the door lock actuator installation.
Could you send them to me at fgreams@***.net.
I will be doing the drivers side of my 03 G35 Coupe were there any big differences from the drivers side?
Thanks
Gordon Reams

Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Just want to thank you guys for the great DIY info. I had both sides go out about a month after buying my car and would only work intermittently when it was below freezing. If it was above 40*, forget it, use a key.

I did the passenger side a few months ago and it still works fine. Did the driver's side today. The anchor for the stock actuator slipped out of the hole when I first reassembled this one, so I had to take it apart and readjust it but it seems fine now.

Hopefully these last longer than the stock ones, at 15 bucks a pop, I don't mind too much if they only last a year, the brackets are already in and the wiring done so it would be a snap to put a new one in if it burnt out.

While I was in there I put about 3 sq feet of butyl sound mat (like dynamat but better brand) on the flat metal surfaces, seems to improve the sound a bit.

Thank you

Old 01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Hey fellas..& ladies as well if they're on here...i'm new- 1st post, but this thread is the main reason i found this site..which is great with the info, btw..i read a few pages ago that someone in So.Cal (Torrance, I believe) would offer to do the $5.00 actuator fix for locals on the side- of course for much more than $5 bux..I work 6 days a week- 12+ hours a day and it'd be awesome to find someone who knows how 2 do this & could spare some time in the afternoon on a Saturday or any time on a Sunday- I'll drive to you- make it as convenient as possible- even bring you some beers on top of the pay- that is if you drink of course...in these days how couldn't you but yeah if anyone can help out it'd be highly appreciated & name your price- because I dont see the sense in replacing these cheap actuators for $300+ if they'll just go out again later. & I'd rather not have to rent a car to let a shop keep mine all day & I know nothing of electrical mods plus don't have the tools..any response would be great even if its just 4 good luck..lol. thnks fellow G drivers- go & prosper.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts
Might have been me? I'm still waiting to install mine. Car's in the shop getting front body kit installed.
But I've been inside the door a few times replacing the window motor. This install seems pretty simple. I can't wait to get the car back to finally get this in. I've been sitting on 2 actuators for a couple months now.
Once I get one in, I'll be familiar with it and can do the install for anyone.
Weekends are best for me. I'll post here when I finally do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: $5 Door Lock Motor (Actuator) Fix