Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sound Proofing the Interior?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound Proofing the Interior?

I dunno about you guys, but my exhaust coupled with being only a few inches off the ground makes for a loud in car sound. I was wondering if anyone in here has put sound proofing insulation or anything on the interior under the carpet/behind the back seats or whatever. What brands are the best deals? Or just straight up the best? How hard was it taking out the seats/carpet?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I want to know as well! I have been dying and dying to sound proof my car for sooooo long!!!!!! I took out my back seats to start and then never started the project. It is easy to take out the back seats...the carpet? I have no idea thats another story! It seems like someone did this project a long time ago and found that most of the noise actually comes from the front of the car behind the dash somewhere.

Anyways, i want to know what the best sound proofing material is! Don't say "fat mat" or "Dynamat" unless it REALLY works.

-Sean

Old 02-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
you're talking about drone.

there's no way you can get rid of it aside from physically modifying the exhaust itself.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:39 PM
either way. its going to help if i sound proofed my car. also though, i just want to make it quieter either way, and i guess id just have to deal with the drone until i upgrade exhausts a little later on. stillen possibly, or fast intentions. preferably FI but who knows.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
it's not going to be worth your efforts. i can't imagine any way of removing the drone you experience in the cabin without altering the exhaust itself.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by O RLY
it's not going to be worth your efforts. i can't imagine any way of removing the drone you experience in the cabin without altering the exhaust itself.
You can get rid of drone..it just has to be a lot of or a special material. Take the back seats out of your car and see how much louder it is inside the cabin. Their was a dodge viper that was modded to hell and actually silenced the inside of the cabbin. He had a pretty big system in it and when you were outside the car you couldn't even here it with the music all the way up. When he opened the door it was rediculously loud. I imagine this would work the same for the engine and exhaust.

-Sean

Old 02-11-2008, 09:18 PM
yeah. i mean i dont understand why it wouldnt work for drone if i put like two layers of the liner on. i dunno.

well how hard was it to remove your back seats? and how do you get that process started? my main deal is that i cant figure out how to start things. once i get the first step though i can figure everything else out. i imagine it will be the same with the seats...

Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by thechronic
yeah. i mean i dont understand why it wouldnt work for drone if i put like two layers of the liner on. i dunno.

well how hard was it to remove your back seats? and how do you get that process started? my main deal is that i cant figure out how to start things. once i get the first step though i can figure everything else out. i imagine it will be the same with the seats...
Back seats are easy...fold down the back seat and there is a velcrow patch. Lift that and there are a couple bolts. Once you take those out the whole back seat will come out. The bottom seat is just hooked in. Life from the front and the front will pop out and then it is "latched" under 4 hooks in the back just lift up on the seat and pull it towards the front. The side panels are just connected through tabs so just grab an area and start tugging they will just pop off.

^that is from memory about a year ago...i think its right.

-Sean

Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 PM
awesome, do you remember what is behind them? is it metal or what?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
just change out the exhaust. there are plenty of better exhausts without droning that bad you need a quieter interior. That's like having stereo blasted in your living room but sound proofing your own room but you still want the music on when you are in your room. Makes no sense to me.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:30 AM
no thats not what i want. i want it to be silent inside the car either way and outside to have exhaust roaring. eventually i will upgrade the exhaust, when i have the money though

Old 02-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do a search on here folks. There are several threads on insulation DIY.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
X-vert did a whole car dynamat i remembered.