Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

OK to Replace Stock Halogens with Stock Xenons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK to Replace Stock Halogens with Stock Xenons?

Anybody know if there is any problem just switching out the stock halogen light assembly with a stock xenon light assembly for a G35 sedan? I looked through the Service manual and, as far as I could tell, the plug is the same. Could it be that easy? I searched, but couldn't find any discussion on this.

Old 06-14-2004, 05:51 PM
JPT
Re: OK to Replace Stock Halogens with Stock Xenons?

yea just get the bulb # and type of the stock halogen and search "hella hids" and purchase the plug n play kit...its a 30-45 min process to install.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:15 AM

Thanks, but I was thinking of the entire headlight assembly that encases the low, high, fog, and turn signal (see picture). I am wondering if I switched out that whole assembly with a stock xenon assembly, will the plug for the halogens plug directly into the plug for the xenons, or do I need to do some mods?

278458-xenonheadlight.jpg

Old 06-16-2004, 11:24 AM

no. the halogen low beam is an h1 bulb. the hid bulb is a d2r. it will not be plug and play. you will have to make some modifications.

Old 06-16-2004, 03:24 PM

Let us know what changes need to be made as I am undertaking the same project. I put a Hella HID kit in and, while bright, am having trouble finding replacement H1's-I plan to change the whole setup to stock HID.

Old 06-17-2004, 03:28 AM

Thanks, but I am not just trying to plug a new bulb into the old socket, I am replacing the entire headlight assembly (see pic again). The new xenon assembly has a xenon control unit that converts the 12V into the high voltage needed. Both the halogen and xenon are powered by the 12V DC of the car's system, right? So my questions still stands: can I plug the whole stock xenon light assembly into the plug that powers the halogen light assembly? As far as I can tell reading the service manual, they should be the same plug, the change to the xenon assembly happens after the plug. Anyone had experience with this?

279462-xenonheadlight.jpg

Old 06-17-2004, 03:21 PM

Yes I understood your question, and so did al503 his response is correct, I believe. You are changing housings but since the wires leading to the old housing are H1 configured and the new one is D2R configured something will have to be changed....probably not too difficult though. I don't think the HID ballast will accept the H1-style connector (hope I'm wrong). Let me know... as I said I'm doing the same if it's not too difficult. Post a pic of the back of the HID light (ballast/igniter) if you have it.

Old 06-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

gpeters
where did you source the units??

<font color=blue>04 Silverstone G35, 5AT, Prem, Aero
ES100 225/45-18 front 245/40-18 rear
Painted calipers, side marker signals
Clr corners, Brake Fluid cover
Borla TD, Z-tube, Eibach, 35%Tints</font color=blue>

Old 06-17-2004, 04:51 PM

you may be right, cook, but he might be asking if the wiring harness that connects the car to the headlight assembly is compatible.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:20 AM

Exactly al503! As Cook suggested, a pic of the back of the unit probably will help. It will show that there is a plug attached to the headlight housing and from that plug is the wiring going to the HID controller. From the HID controller goes the wiring to the D2R bulb. That is all part of the headlight unit. So, yes, I am wondering if the plug on the wiring harness that plugs into the complete halogen assembly is the same as the plug on the wiring harness that plugs into the complete xenon headlight assembly. Sorry for sounding exasperated, but I am having trouble getting answers on this. Most people think I am talking about after-market kits or bulbs or ????

280353-xenonheadlightback.jpg

Old 06-22-2004, 10:38 AM

Again, I understand but my answer remains the same...sorry for being so unclear. It has been awhile since I changed the light but I *thought* the plug was smaller (2 wire)on the halogen setup than what is pictured on the HID setup. I can't swear to it though....shouldn't it be in the electrical section of the shop manual??? I can't believe no one has an answer to this as I am sure it's been done....or attempted.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:20 AM

Thanks CookG35. Yes, I looked through the service manual and, unless I am missing something, it looks like they are saying the plug is the same. The only change is AFTER the plug (see red circles). Maybe you or anyone else can look at the attached wiring diagram and give me a little sanity check.

285475-HeadlightWiringDiagram.gif

Old 06-25-2004, 10:59 AM

Certainly from the diagram it does appear that they are the same. Since the diagram points out the difference between the HID and halogen WITHIN the light, it would be logical to assume it should also point out the difference(s) in the plug, if any. It does not. Do you have the HID in your possesion? If so just plug it in...if you are afraid send it to me and I will try it! I will send it back the next day...as I mentioned I am anxious to put them in my car as well and have a good source for used ones.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:50 AM

Sorry for the slow response CookG35. I want to be extra sure before I plug them in, so I am going to take a volt meter to the plug in the car and make sure that the correct voltage appears at the correct pin. Once I do that, I will go ahead and plug them in outside of the car. If that is OK, I will go ahead and dismantle the front of the car and put em in. I will let you know how it goes. Maybe this weekend...

Old 07-02-2004, 11:57 AM

Cool. It's pretty easy to get to all that by jacking up the car, removing wheel, then pop out the fender lining...in case you didn't already know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OK to Replace Stock Halogens with Stock Xenons?