Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How to install Underwings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How to install Underwings?

I was able to score a set of new underwings for my G. They have never been installed or painted. I got them for $100 off Ebay. Couldn't beleive it. I had been wanting a set for a couple years. They look like Veilside but I they are not marked.
Anyways, what is the best way to install them. They have no mounting holes. And I assume I need to remove the front piece that is already there behind the wheel that is like a fender skirt/guard of sorts before installing them.

Also, is there an inexpensive way to paint them? My G is IP. I know it won't match perfectly anyways because of the Pearl. Just curious.
Thanks

Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
3M double sided tape? I would just have a shop paint them for you. That will be the closest match. You cant rattle can IP. It shouldnt be that much to paint them.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by fobizzle
3M double sided tape? I would just have a shop paint them for you. That will be the closest match. You cant rattle can IP. It shouldnt be that much to paint them.
Ok, I can handle that. My inlaws work at two different Body shops, I should be able to get a deal on painting them.

So you don't think I need to run a screw into them somewhere.

I trust 3M as long as the surface is cleaned properly but I would think they would need a screw somewhere.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Im not exactly sure. I know 3M tape holds pretty well, but if you screw them in it will obviously hold better.

What I like about 3M tape is that if you decide you dont like it, you can take it off without having brand new screw holes in your sideskirts

Old 08-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by fobizzle
Im not exactly sure. I know 3M tape holds pretty well, but if you screw them in it will obviously hold better.

What I like about 3M tape is that if you decide you dont like it, you can take it off without having brand new screw holes in your sideskirts
That's true. I will stick with that.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
u should bolt it dude dont be some dumb ricer with car parts flying off ur car. and u will probably whack it at least once and sometimes thats all it takes for it to come loose. make ur own holes and bolt it up

Old 08-04-2011, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by saywat?
u should bolt it dude dont be some dumb ricer with car parts flying off ur car. and u will probably whack it at least once and sometimes thats all it takes for it to come loose. make ur own holes and bolt it up
I had thought I had seen where someone put two screws in each end.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:42 AM
They will fit nice and tight but I haven't had them painted yet. Gotta work something out with my body man.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by AmateuRN
Good to hear. Got mine from a vendor and they fit like ****. Maybe they should use the eBay mold. lol!
Oh never crossed my mind that they may not fit well. But I could see where they might not since they are hard fiberglass.
I will double check before I paint them now that you said something just in case I need to trim a little or something

Old 01-31-2012, 06:37 AM
Got them installed. Yay!

Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 PM
I have them screwed on from below but I don't like how the screws really can't tighten up in the plastic of the roll pan so i am going to buy some good punch anchors and put them in like the front spats were attached. It will keep them tight and make sure I don't lose them.
I am having issue with my 3m tape sticking on two of them but I plan to get some newer tape and re-do it when I replace the screws. The tape I have is(was) good tape but I think the age of it sitting in my garage in my tool box has nade it less sticky.

But so far I love em' I also Clay barred the whole car before installing them so the car would look good with the new painted parts beside it.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
hmm idk doesnt look very cool. u plan on doing anything with the front?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by saywat?
hmm idk doesnt look very cool. u plan on doing anything with the front?
I know there are some that don't like them. Yea, I plan to get a lip for it soon. One step at a time $$$ wise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to install Underwings?