Notices

Interior Light Color Change Teaser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006 | 06:18 PM
|
Talking Interior Light Color Change Teaser

Hello All!

I have undergone the "interior blue light conversion," inspired by the ballzy and inovative Accordfreak;
see threads
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/37251-overall-pictures-led-project.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/lighting/36787-led-project-part-3-gauges-revealed-56k-haha.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/35819-more-blue-leds-buttons-56k-maybe.html

I would like to put together a DIY for all-yee-all - I will spend some time over the next week or two building a detailed to-do with material and tool lists. And I'll have to get permission from an administrator to publish a DIY (or however that works), as I am a new member. So hello everyone!

Here's some pics to get you started.

More to come!

Attached Thumbnails Interior Light Color Change Teaser-face-full.jpg   Interior Light Color Change Teaser-trace-3.jpg   Interior Light Color Change Teaser-trace-6.jpg   Interior Light Color Change Teaser-trace-8.jpg   Interior Light Color Change Teaser-upface.jpg  

Last edited by tylersphile; 11-13-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2006 | 06:27 PM
nice.

Old 11-13-2006 | 06:32 PM
great job man that is definitely no easy task!

Old 11-13-2006 | 06:42 PM
haha awesome man! great job! what resistors did you end up using?

keep up the great work!

Old 11-13-2006 | 06:54 PM
SUPER COOL! LOOKS GREAT! GREAT WORK! Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
AutoMotiveMods

Old 11-13-2006 | 06:57 PM
Thumbs up

Thats some sick work.!!

Old 11-13-2006 | 07:36 PM
|
Thanks for the comments!

0805 LEDs made by LiteOn, purchased from Digikey.com (Blue - LiteOn part # LTST-C170TBKT, White LiteOn part # LTW-170TK) at 40 and 55 cents each, respectively. HUGE Online Catalog (section O) http://pdfcatalog.digikey.com/T063/SectO.pdf. There's a ton to choose from. I picked ones that had a little higher output than yours Accordfreak... Took me a while to find though!

I replaced the selection LEDs on the AC, Recirc, and Defrost buttons with the 0805 white, although they are a larger led to begin with - but it works great. The notch out of the corner of factory LED indicates the Cathode...

Old 11-13-2006 | 07:40 PM
|
Accordfreak, don't worry, I think you are still the only one with the G35 Coupe with blue lights... lol. Thanks for the inspiration!

Last edited by tylersphile; 11-15-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2006 | 02:38 PM
Awesome job on the center console so far. Funny cause Im in the middle of my conversion too. I did that this weekend too excluding the lcd! Im also waiting on my white smds/3mm for the ac control/seat heater status lights. I got the dimmest white 3mm I could find for the seat heat status lights. Hopefully they will still look "hyper white"(5k mcd). I dont want a spotlight coming from my center console at night when im using my seat heater. Nice dremeling btw. Maybe you have the same problem I do.. The color is slightly different on the nav compared to the deck. Even tried going one led instead of 2 in the nav but it was still was slightly off (very annoying).May have to change out the resistors in the nav.Used all the same leds on the deck/nav. Did you experience this?
Heres where mines at: Next weekend, next round of leds :

Last edited by Deftronix; 11-20-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2006 | 03:08 PM
great job to all you guys. that seems like tons of work but the end product is sweet. the interior lights would go somewhat with the color of the int/ext color of the cars from the factory.

Old 11-20-2006 | 06:11 PM
|
Brightness Issues

Originally Posted by Deftronix
Awesome job on the center console so far. Funny cause Im in the middle of my conversion too. I did that this weekend too excluding the lcd! Im also waiting on my white smds/3mm for the ac control/seat heater status lights. I got the dimmest white 3mm I could find for the seat heat status lights. Hopefully they will still look "hyper white"(5k mcd). I dont want a spotlight coming from my center console at night when im using my seat heater. Nice dremeling btw. Maybe you have the same problem I do.. The color is slightly different on the nav compared to the deck. Even tried going one led instead of 2 in the nav but it was still was slightly off (very annoying).May have to change out the resistors in the nav.Used all the same leds on the deck/nav. Did you experience this?
Sweet work Def! I love the look of this interior in blue...

I am experiencing the same issue with brighness (although hard to tell by the pictures), and by the looks of accordfreak’s pictures, he is as well.

Instead of swapping resistors, I have contemplated getting different grades of scrap tint (free leftovers from window tinting shop) and cutting little pieces to glue on top of the smds. It sounds a little "hack," which is my only reason I may reconsider, but it would make life easier trying to match the brightness levels... I would rather test a few grades of tint and get it right, opposed to soldering 3 different resistors on the board. Those boards are a little too delicate to be re-soldering repeatedly… And I’m lazy.

But if you do figure a good resistor combination, keep me up to date, I would love to follow your footsteps! I just don’t want to do the dinkin' around.

And you think the Navi controls are too bright… wait until you do the climate control up top. That thing is bright! Lol. This will definitely benefit with some tint. I've held a few samples up on top of the blue, and it works very well. The lightest tint (50%) seems pretty good.

Blue Film: I purchased mine at “AXE Music” in Canada. I had a choice of about 10 different blues – so that was cool. It is the stuff they use in front of high powered stage lamps to colorize – so you know the stuff won’t melt under heat. You could find it in your area at any theatrical supply, DJ or Pro-Audio sale / rental shop. It is also very delicate to scratching and picking up oil off the fingertips, use a silk cloth (for your sunglasses) to clean.

SM LED: LiteOn purchased thru Digikey, (as above post);
BLUE - LiteOn Part#: “160-1579-1-ND” Quantity 100 @ $29.69 CAD (about $26.50 USD)
WHITE – LiteOn Part#: “160-1738-1-ND” Quantity 250 @ $25.65 CAD

Are you going to fab a new cover for your climate & audio LCD?

Old 11-21-2006 | 04:12 AM
Originally Posted by tylersphile
Accordfreak, don't worry, I think you are still the only one with the G35 Coupe with blue lights... lol. Thanks for the inspiration!
thats untrue, both rever and myself have blue interior lights (switching mine to red), but i believe accord was the first. awesome work to the op!

Old 11-21-2006 | 04:15 AM
Multi-Spoked Mod
Staff Alumni
awesomeeee workkkkk

Old 11-21-2006 | 04:17 AM
i find your guys' nav lighting problem weird. i made all my text white and the accents blue (like the lines by the joystick). i am guessing since i used white, the difference is undetectable.

Old 11-21-2006 | 02:05 PM
Ya im almost positive the voltages are different on the two curcuits. I will check it with a voltmeter this weekend when I rip my dash apart again. Most likely will need to change out the resistors in the nav to whatever to match the voltage on the deck.

As far as the ac/deck lcds I plan on doing what ty did for the deck portion and go with accordfreaks way of dealing the with ac/climate lcd.

Alan, Nice that the white leds didnt show variation due to voltage difference (same way the amber ones dont show a variation.) I was thinking about doing the white/blue combo that way but ultimately decided blue buttons/white status lights is what I wanted. Id like to see the white buttons/blue status if you have a pic. It was a very tough decision to make because I thought that combo would look sweet as hell as well!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interior Light Color Change Teaser