Notices

cubby removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Mike Team350GZ
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ya thats the same place i drilled my hole too. are you still able to close the door with the screan in it?

Old 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '05 6MT and have removed the center console storage cubby for non-nav vehicles. I can't say it's easy or fast the first time around since removing this cubby requires removing the whole radio/AC unit. The cubby is screwed onto the radio assembly from the back side.

- For 6MT, I'd start by reaching into the shift boot and pulling up to unclip the bezel around the shifter. Use all your fingers and place on opposite sides of the shifter. Apply firm even pressure while doing this or else you may crack the piece. It's unnecessary to unscrew the leather shifter from the shaft since you only need to move this piece a few inches to access the screws behind it. I just put a towel or something around it once it's unclipped to prevent from scratching the rest of the aluminum finish.
- After removing the shifter bezel and ash tray piece, there are two screws exposed that attach the plastic piece on both sides of the radio unit. That needs to be removed. Those again are clipped in but there are screws at the bottom (if I recall).
- By now, you'll notice there are 2 screws that holds the bottom of the radio unit in place. There's 3 other screws holding the radio assembly in place from the top. 1 on each top corner and 1 in the center that can only be access from your clock area.
- The screws on the top corners can be accessed by removing the aluminum strip that goes across your dash. That piece is clipped in but will easily crack if bent too much.
- The last hidden screw is accessible from the top clock area. The piece that overhangs from the clock and acts as a shade, pull towards the back of the car to remove. It clips on. It takes a firm tug to remove. After that, you can remove the black trim that's directly below the and in front of the clock to access the last screw.
- After removing these screws, the radio assembly along with the cubby can come out. Just remember to unplug the molex plugs in the back. I believe there's 4 plugs + the 1 for antenna. There's not much slack in the wiring so you might need a helping hand before you end up scratching up your aluminum finish.

Before putting reassembling everything, make sure to test if the radio/AC works properly. There's not much slack and you may not have plugged in the molex plugs fully. Test the functions before reassembly to save you a headache later. Be warned though, there's lot of plastic parts and clips that can be broken during these procedures.

Last edited by Espresso; 05-01-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To clarify, it can be removed... ...but it's a PITA and not needed. That's why I said forget about it. When you get to that point, you might decide to reconsider. I would have removed the cubby to drill my hole, too, if it looked easier or if it was needed. You can still fish any wires up behind/around the radio/ac/etc. Sure, it would provide more space to remove the other items, but do you want to remove all that just to have more space to run a couple of wires past?

It created a few twists of material when drilled, which I then licked out of her cubby. I use a mini shop-vac (2HP) to clean all the crevices. It's a very clean '05.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 05-01-2007 at 05:05 PM.