Notices

color change interior in work!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shakuya88
If anyone in here would like a DIY on how to do any of the following pleaselet me know ASAP as thing go back together the pics won't be available, but the info still will.

-Rear seat removal
-Front seat removal
-Front seat disassembly (only enough to dye leather)
-Steering wheel removal (believe there is another DIY already on this though)
-E-brake removal

I'm trying to take as many pics as I remember to throughout this but if I'm not thinking I miss some pics.

Drivers seat is done, e brake is done, steering wheel is almost done along with rear seat back. Pass seat and rear seat bottom are being started shortly

All of it! I plan to do the same to my willow interior to black as I cant find any totaled G's around my area. I really appreciate what you are doing and I cant wait for the results!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...-04-coupe.html

Those are the instructions for the steering wheel removal and disassembly. Only thing I want to note is when putting the horn plate back in, there is a tab that needs to be inserted at the bottom of the wheel, Had to take mine apart again 'cause I missed that.

I'll upload what pics i have spo far and start on these DIYs in a few.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:52 PM
DIY steps

Alright so here we go with the DIY's and my progress. I'll start with my progress.

Before this, I have everything finished minus for the leather, while the paint I had been using said it was good for leather didn't want to use it on all of it. As you can see I did test on the rear seat bottom didn't like it. Some old photos from doing my dash.

Now for as she sat. All plastic painted and with a suede headliner and rear deck.
All leather still tan.

Now onto the DIYs

***NOTE: I am not responsible for you screwing up your car. I'm providing this information as a simple guide to be an aid. There is a fair amount of technical knowhow needed to undertake this. Proceed at your own discretion.***

-Rear seat Bottom

This one is an easy one.

There are 2 of those clips holding the rear seat bottom down. They are on either side, by the center of the foot wells. Pull up on both of these and pull seat bottom forward being sure to push the rear seat belt buckets through the holes. See, told ya we would start of easy

-Rear seat back

I'm putting this here for order of my pictures, but this will prob be a lot easier AFTER at least one front seat is out.

Overall this is also an easy one.

TOOLS:
Ratchet
14mm Socket

First remove seat bottom....see above.
Then you will see 2 bolts on either side

They will be slightly hidden by rear seat belts by chance. Pull to side and remove. Then release the folding seat from trunk (hoping you all know how to do this one) Then fold it down and pull the bottom flap going into the trunk up and pull forward to release the velco. There will be a cable going toward the trunk, this is the release you just pulled. ***Will add pic on reassembly*** Disconnect this than pull forward on the seat while lifting up on the part facing the trunk.

Another easy one . Now we get a little hard.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Now we are on to the front seats.

This is where things get a little trickier.

TOOLS:
Racteht
14mm socket
10mm socket
Flathead screw driver
Some muscle

First you want to lean the seats forward and slide them all the way to the front. Look down and you should see this.

Or something very similar, remove the 2 cover pieces so you end with this.

Sorry for orientation change.

Remove the 2 14mm bolts then slide seat all the way back.

You should then see these 2 covers.

Remove the covers and remove 14mm bolts.

Now slide seat to a middle position and leave the seat back forward (seat back doesn't matter if 03-04. If car is equipped with power recline this is a must!

Repeat for the other front seat.

Next is to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. After that is disconnected....good job go get yourself something to drink/eat and wait 5 minutes. Reason: we are about to do work with airbags, ensure at least 5 minutes have past to be safe. Also step on the brake pedal a few times also.

Refreshed? good. Here is the hardest part of the front seats. ***Will add pics on reassembly***

Lean the seat back so you can gain access to the bottom. There are 3 connectors, 1 yellow this is the airbag will get to that last. and 2 white one. Start with the small white one, it's easy. The other white is also easy. The yellow is easy also, but it's not a normal connector. There is a white tab on the yellow connector which needs to be pull toward the side that stays in the car (follow wires) Now that all 3 are disconnected, 2 of the connectors are attached to the car and the seat still. Remove the connector end from the yellow support bracket. Now use those muscle and lift that seat out through the door and bring it to work area.

RESERVED FOR E-BRAKE REMOVAL

Last edited by Shakuya88; 12-16-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Now onto the work area.

Assemble all your supplies at your work area.

Remove headrest from seat.
Remove the plastics from the seat.

There is a cable that needs to be pulled and then 2 screws.

Reach under the bottom flap and there is an interlocking plastic strip, use a flathead and disengage this. Then, there are 2 zippers on either side undo those to get this.

Under that top area of foam if you lift hard you will see a hole

Insert a screw driver into that hole and pull up on the plastic area that is where the headrest pole goes in. Do this for both sides.

Lift up on the recline handle there is a little tab, release this tab and pull forward on handle.

There is a 14mm holding the seat belt buckle onto the seat, remove that and let the buckle chill. For the seat controls, there are 2 Phillips head screws under the soft parts on the side.

Unscrew those and then disconnect the switches from the face.

2 clips

Now onto the plastic trim

1 Phillips screw there and then pull

2 screws on the front, then 3 clips on the side.

I still have yet to find a good way to undo those clips. Also the remaining plastic isn't worth it to try and get off. Even with the seat back removed, still very hard, I didn't bother.

Last edited by Shakuya88; 12-16-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Now onto the actual dyeing. Now this will probably vary by the type of dye used. I opted to go with a repair/re-color kit from www.leatherworldtech.com

They have All kinds of factory colors so even if you wanted say the BMW M3 cinnamon interior, they have it

I'm not going to go too into the dyeing process as it is product specific but I will post a few things.

Make sure to clean it good! a clean surface to start with is key to a good final product!

Don't worry if after a coat or 2 it doesn't look good.

It will look good once done!

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

Last edited by Shakuya88; 12-16-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 PM
reserved

Old 12-16-2010, 09:51 PM
did you spray the seats or just rub the dye on? and on the steering wheel you dyed it?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:59 PM
also whats the process to take the dash out?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Looks good so far.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
wow.. i want someone to do this for me.. HAHA

Old 12-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by G35-31
did you spray the seats or just rub the dye on? and on the steering wheel you dyed it?
The kit come with 2 sponges. I wiped it on with that and did several coats.

Originally Posted by G35-31
also whats the process to take the dash out?
Oh my, All the stuff you already have black, take that all out, the gauge cluster, the upper glove box, radio, climate control bezel, the front defrost vents (pop off with flathead and unclip connector) You'll see several screws at various spots, take all those out and gently pull and wiggle. I'd say take the steering wheel off too to help, that was one of my biggest issues was getting around that. That is a very rough explanation. Apart from getting the actual dash around the steering wheel to take it out and put it in, it was easy. (If I say something is easy and you do it and it's a bi**h, I DIY'ed twin turbos with jack stands and hand tool so my idea of easy may be slightly different )

Originally Posted by Tian
Looks good so far.
Thanks! I'm glad with how it is coming out so far

Old 12-17-2010, 12:05 AM
What did you use to paint the plastic trim? (dash, doors, etc.)

Looks awesome by the way! And what do you think of a desert platinum g35 with black interior and M3 cinnamon trim (seats, door trim)

Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
seat looks great

Old 12-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by Smitty50
What did you use to paint the plastic trim? (dash, doors, etc.)

Looks awesome by the way! And what do you think of a desert platinum g35 with black interior and M3 cinnamon trim (seats, door trim)
I used VHT satin black Vinyl dye. Dries really quick and strong very fast. I used a little bit of krylon fusion for plactics, and it take 7 days to get to full hardness :/ got a couple scratches 'cause of that.

Honestly, If that is the same G I'm thinking of, he's the main reason I decided to do this instead of buy black seats. His came out great, hope mine ends up that great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: color change interior in work!