Notices

Review of RJM Performance adjustable clutch pedal bracket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Review of RJM Performance adjustable clutch pedal bracket

I just installed my new RJM Performance adjustable clutch pedal bracket into my 03 coupe and my first impressions are WOW!

Now I will not be posting a DIY install showing step by step instructions for how to do this as it would be completely pointless. You can find full install instructions with loads of pictures from his website. I am merely going to post my thoughts on it.

I was very intrigued after seeing this thread:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...long-read.html

I just had to try it out. I am one of the "beta testers" so I got a slightly discounted price because of this. However this does NOT mean I was given a crappy prototype. What showed up was exactly what is depicted in the installation instructions on the website. It is nicer than the photos of the prototypes shown on the webpage. To see what it really looks like you have to look at the install manual. It is a very high quality piece. Nice hardware and brackets. Everything appears as though it was cut with a waterjet however maybe Ryan will confirm or deny that. It is very stylish as well and almost makes it a shame to think no one will ever see it. Just looking at it you can tell it is well beyond the quality of the oem piece.

Install went very smoothly. It took me about two hours to install it and then fully adjust it to my liking, However I am very **** about things and I cleaned my pedal and all the stock parts before re-lubing and assembling. I just took my time.

The instructions are very clear. They are long but don't let that intimidate you. They are very detailed and loaded with pictures making it seem like a long process. It really isn't though. The instructions leave no questions about any steps. If you are mildly mechanically inclined, you should have no problem installing this. I installed mine setup exactly as the instructions say and it made final adjustments a breeze.

After adjusting I found that our super high engagement point was completely gone. Also the pedal is way easier to press in. It makes the car so nice and easy to drive. No more feeling like a retard with jumpy starts. No more tired legs after getting stuck in traffic. Its so nice I wouldn't mind stepping up to a harsher clutch when I replace my OEM in the future.

Now Ryan is not a vendor on this site at this point so you cannot buy this bracket from him on here yet. I would bet that if the demand is high enough for these (which it should be) who know, he may become a vendor and even do group buys at discounted rates.

However if you are interested you can find out more and see the product on his website:
http://www.rjmperformance.com/

I would definitely recommend this especially if you have a harsher aftermarket clutch. It will save your left leg.

Last edited by UCIMAplaya2; 11-19-2011 at 03:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by UCIMAplaya2:
Texasscout (11-20-2011), WhosUrBuddiee (08-28-2014)
Old 11-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Apparently they were cut on a laser. That was my second guess since it is cut so cleanly and doesn't have the bevel you get with a waterjet or the slag you get with plasma. I just didn't think it would be a laser cut piece since they are so expensive and even getting a place to cut parts for you is pricey. You really get your money's worth out of this product.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i was going to post a thread on this as well since i'm also a tester, but i suppose i'll post in here instead if that's alright with you?
think one of these threads would be better off in the drivetrain section?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 AM
yeah post up your experience.
As for where to put it, I went back and forth between the two and ultimately just picked this one and if a moderator wants to move it they can.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I never ass-u-me so, do these fit Sedans?

Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Yes they fit sedans, coupes and 350z's.

The following users liked this post:
Texasscout (11-20-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Fantastic! My JWT clutch has made my left leg bigger than my right.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:47 PM
edit:
made a new thread in the drivetrain section- here

Last edited by m tr4nch; 11-21-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:04 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Will this work for 07 coupes?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:45 AM
Originally Posted by _FrankStarks_
Will this work for 07 coupes?
apparently the '07+ uses a new type of bracket, so no. but who knows, if there's enough interest there might be one in the making as well.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Aku
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
I suppose I'll add my review in this thread as well.

Just got around to intalling mine yesterday afternoon.

The intstructions were very well detailed and layed out with plenty of photos to go along with the instructions. Installation was very easy and took me a like 3 hours but that was mainly due to walking back and forth between the car, the work bench and the couch in the garage where my computer was with the install instructions. And helping my roommate work on a different car as well haha.

Set up was easy. I too left the adjustable part at the 75%ish recommended first setting. and just had to fine tune it by adjusting the normal position rod thingy.

Right now its set up to have about a 1/2" of travel play when the clutch is fully depressed before the friction point starts to grab. Feel so much better and more like every other standard trans car I've driven before. No more notchy feel and no more having to basically fully let the pedal out before it catches.

I believe I also have the same 1/2" of travel before it starts to disengage as well. Driving with my foot on the throttle I can push it what feels like 1/2" before the engine starts to free rev. so I'm hoping its got enough play in it up top that i'm not prematurly going to wear out the clutch. I did the slipping clutch test (6th gear 2krpm pedal to the floor) and there was no clutch slipping so I can assume I have a solid clamping.

Deffienatly recommend this pedal bracket to anyone who dislikes the stock pedal feel! I approve!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing for the hr of coarse.

Spell check would have done wonders for the rjm website.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
pss350Z, Yes spell check would have done wonders if the basic web editing software I'm using had that feature.

Unfortunately it's usually 2am by the time I get around to working on the website since I work full time 50-60 Hour Weeks as a Mechanical Engineer for an Engineering firm. I work a 10-12Hr day before going home and working a further 4hrs or more a night after the kids go to bed to bringing the highest quality product I can to the G&Z enthusiasts.

My weekends are spent doing all the fabrication, welding, machine work, painting, order handling and shipping myself. This has gone from initial concept to prototypes, to a test group to public sales in a little over 2 months while only working evenings and weekends.

My wife and I also have a newborn baby boy so I'm doing all this on only about 4hrs sleep a night for the past 2 months now.

I guess what your saying is I should stop all work on the HR 07'+ brackets I'm currently prototyping and work on my spelling this weekend instead....

Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Aku
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
lulz

Have patients man if the HR brackets are even half as good as the current ones you will be impressed and you will be satisfied

Old 01-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts
I'm going to go ahead and add my review here as well.

Install time, start to finish, took me about an hour and a half. I'll add that it is very nice having a work bench for many of the steps you'll be performing.

Two things I noticed that differed for me in the instructions were that when reinstalling the top bolt to hold the bracket in, the socket didn't clear the RJM bracket. It was as simple as switching to a 12mm stubby wrench, although I understand that not everyone has one of those.

The other thing was that by using "color codes" for the two clutch switches, it had be confused as the colors of mine were in the opposite places during removal. It still just took me a couple of seconds of sitting and looking to figure out things.

I set mine at about 65 to 70 percent just to err on the side of caution, but after driving on it for a couple of days now I do plan on going back in and readjusting to 75% (haven't looked yet but I hope I can do this on my car).

Clutch rod adjustment is even easier than before, as is bracket adjustment. The directions are AWESOME and the pictures clear up any remaining questions after reading the steps.

Initial driving impressions: All I can say is WOW! My first to second shift used to be so difficult that I'd nearly always get a stutter from the car when going into second. Instantly that's gone! Clutch feel is much more positive, and the range of motion is awesome. I can pretty easily feather the clutch now, and the entire motion is much more fluid. My engagement, too, starts about 1/2" from the floor, and I have 1/2" to 1" of dead space at the top.

This is a beautiful mod and already it's made a world of difference in the enjoyment of my car!

Here the bracket assembly is before installing in my car:

And here it is all bolted up:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Review of RJM Performance adjustable clutch pedal bracket