Notices

Driver Seat does not auto move forward? '04 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 05:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Driver Seat does not auto move forward? '04 sedan

Hi all, My G35 driver seat does not automatically move forward when unlocking the car/inserting the key into the ignition. I can use the switches to move the seat forwards, backwards, tilt up and down as well as lean back and forth. The seat will AUTOMATICALLY move backwards when I remove the key from the ignition. Another note, whenever I use the memory buttons, the seat will automatically move backwards (and lean in) to the memorized position, but will not automatically move FORWARD into the memorized position. I have tried resetting/linking the key to a memorized position, and I have also tried to set different memorized seating positions as a test.

Additional note: The switch is set to AUTO on the side, and NOT cancel.

TLDR: When I get into the car, the seat won't return to memorized position (when inserting key). When I exit the car (removing the key from ignition), the seat moves back to let me out. Driver seat will not automatically move forward into memorized position, but will automatically move back. (All switches move the seat any direction no problems!).

Like the title says, the car is an '04 Sedan. Any and all advice is very much appreciated!

Thank-you!

Last edited by Sunstreaker7; 06-29-2018 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Need help
Old 06-29-2018, 01:20 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Could be any number of things, not really something that can be troubleshot over the interwebs.

My '04 coupe's driver seat will move forward when the rear passenger tilts the seat forward, but doesn't move back to its driving position when the tilt is released. I plan to live with this small issue as the only solution in my mind would either be a lot of work removing the interior and checking connections or simply dropping in a racing seat which will be the eventual fix if my G lasts beyond daily duty.

If I were in your boat where your car keeps moving your seat around on you every time you get out of the car, I would try and disable the "moving backward to let you out" function by cutting a wire (or installing a switch) before I wasted any time looking for the actual problem.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:06 AM
I appreciate the advice, but ideally I would like to fix this problem. I know it seems pretty trivial but it's a pretty cool feature on the car. If I can't end up fixing it, I probably will just turn the switch to "cancel".

I just don't understand why it wouldn't move forward when I press Memory setting 1 or when I get into the car/insert the key, but it works (moves forward) when I push the switch.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:02 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It's PROBABLY the driver seat control unit, you'll need to get the proper ID number off of it so you get an exact replacement. It's a small-ish white box bolted to the bottom of the seat.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
It's PROBABLY the driver seat control unit, you'll need to get the proper ID number off of it so you get an exact replacement. It's a small-ish white box bolted to the bottom of the seat.
Is it possible to see a model number without removing the seat? Ie sliding the seat back and looking for it? Where is it located under the seat?

Thank-you for the suggestion!

Old 07-03-2018, 08:33 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I don't remember as we had our passenger seat out a few weeks ago but I suspect you'll have to at least unbolt the seat (only 4 bolts) and then lean it back to look under it. Pretty simple.....

Old 07-03-2018, 05:43 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Use your phone, turn the flashlight on, turn on video recording and you can see everything from the rear of the seat when you slide your phone around.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Just got around to replacing it (the memory unit). Everything is ok with the memory unit, as I am still having the same problem. Memory 1 and 2 are working, but will only adjust the tilting and leaning functions; it will not move forward or backwards when I select the "saved memory 1" position.

Is there a reset procedure to deactivate and maybe reactivate it? I've tried the "Hold set for 10 seconds" method, but cannot get the lights to light up. However, the open and close door 2-3 time while key is in LOCK seemed to reactivate the system. Same thing for entering the car. It will not slide forward when the key goes into ignition or when i unlock the car. HOWEVER upon removing the key the car will slide backwards when exiting. I've also heard that there are other methods for entry/exit assist? The 1st method I've used, key in the seat moves to memorized last position. Key out, moves all the way back to let the driver out. The 2nd method I've heard is where the car is unlocked and the seat moves.

**I forgot to mention that everything on the manual control does work (the silver controls on the right near the cup holders). Sliding front/back, tilting forward/back, and leaning up and down work perfectly fine everytime.**

Please, any suggestions help!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by Sunstreaker7; 08-14-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:48 AM
***Bump, any other suggestions?

Old 09-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker7
***Bump, any other suggestions?
Follow the troubleshooting steps in the FSM section SE

https://g35driver.com/forums/newrepl...eply&p=7148671

Telcoman