Notices

Uncomfortable seat fix.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uncomfortable seat fix.

I did a search and read about a dozen threads about the good and bad fitment with our seats. I only have a 2.5 mile commute and this car is killing my hips. The seat cushion presses against my hips so much that I have to sit up on one side to get comfortable. Conversely, I have no problem with the seat back and love how the side bolsters hold me nice and firm. Knowing that seat will break-in over time, I just can't wait that long so I decided to help it out a little.

Here's my solution. I've had this hardened bag of concrete in my garage for about two years and it must weight 75 pounds. I wrapped it in a blanket and leaned it up against the door resting on the lower cushion bolster planning on leaving it there over night. I'm going to do this for a few nights and see if the seat softens up a bit. If it doesn't, I'm going to have an upholstery shop open up the seat and remove some foam. I've never experienced as much discomfort from a seat. Heck, even the fiberglass seat in a shifter kart is more comfortable for me. If I have to, I'll mount one in my G.

-Cheers
GW

Old 04-04-2006, 01:02 AM
Banned
Adjusting the lumbar support doesn't help?

Old 04-04-2006, 11:18 AM
The lumbar support won't help. The problem is my fat a$$ doesn't fit properly into the seat bottom. I've already mad an appointment at an interior shop to have them remove some foam from the sides of the lower cushion. If I don't, there's no way I can drive this car for more than 15 minutes. These seats make my NSX feel like a La-Z-Boy recliner.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Lots of opinion on this. Frankly, I'm 100% with you in that the back fits great, but my thighs feel like they are sitting on top of the bottom bolsters, not between them. I don't know if padding is the answer. I've been thinking about opening up the bottom cushion and widening the metal skeleton that the padding rests against. I could get 1/2" on each side, or even more, without touching the door or the center console. But, without having opened it up before I have no idea how easy this would be.

I'm waiting on the edge of my seat (literally) to see if your solution helps!

Curt

Old 04-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Solution

Wow, you are taking it much better than I did when I got my '04 coupe. After a week of driving I started to get pain in my hips. Lasted 24/7. I was very very close to trading my G for something else but then I just lost it. I took my seat apart and cut out the foam bolsters on the side up to where the metal comes up. When I put the seat back together I was concerned about how the leather would look but fortunately it doesn't sag at all, it springs back to position after I am done sitting on the seat. I figure when the day comes that I have to get rid of the car I'll take the seat apart and put pillow foam in place of the gap just to sell it.

Bottom line, my hip pain went away and the car is drivable now. If anyone needs more details let me know. This can be a problem that will drive you insane. The toughest part of this whole thing was taking apart my seat and cutting the foam out on a brand new $$$ car. I'm over it now!

Old 04-04-2006, 04:36 PM
lose some weight b1tches!!! jenny craig!! lol j/k...

Old 04-04-2006, 06:07 PM
I made an appointment with an interior shop for two weeks from now to have the seat cushion reduced. But in the mean time, I was in so much pain after driving to work today that I literally jumped up and down on the side of the seat to try and bend the frame. I think I got a good inch or so of lateral width extension and I can already feel a difference. I'm going to continue to do this until the side flattens out a bit more. I guess I should stop doing 400lb leg extension exercises.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uhhhh, did you sit in the car before your bought it?

Just kidding. What I thought was a snug sports car seat ended up being fairly uncomfortable during longer trips.
Mine has broken in, but I'd like it to be a little wider.
When you jumped on it...do you mean forced your weight side to side?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gashed
...I took my seat apart and cut out the foam bolsters on the side up to where the metal comes up...If anyone needs more details let me know.
I would like to hear more. Did you have to remove the seat from the car to take the seat apart? What is the procedure?

Thanks
Curt

Old 04-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by shredX
Uhhhh, did you sit in the car before your bought it? Just kidding.

I test drove one for and entire day in early '05 and the seat felt great. I have no idea why I'm having such discomfort now.

What I thought was a snug sports car seat ended up being fairly uncomfortable during longer trips.
Mine has broken in, but I'd like it to be a little wider.
When you jumped on it...do you mean forced your weight side to side?
I sit on the side of seat with my feet on the ground and jump up and down. I know I look like a moron while doing this, but I don't care as long as I feel confortable sitting in it afterwards. This is really the only dislike that I have with the car.

-Cheers
GW

Old 04-05-2006, 09:43 AM
I test drove a used 03 with either the seat broken in, or a diff seat all together. When my wife came to "approve" the purchase, she brought up just buying new since the 03 was still worth so much. (over 30k b/c it ad like 13k mi) Anyway, I just had her test drive the 06. We then changed our minds on color and closed the deal. I first drove my car after the purchase. It had like 4 mi on it. Crazy.

Anyway, the seat is a little skinny for me too. It's broken in a bit. I now have about 3k mi on the car. I seriously considering your jumping around method, but I'm concerned w/ breaking something vs just bending it wider.

Are you just breaking down the foam, or are you bending the frame?

Is it comfortable for you now?

Old 04-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Oh yeah. What ever you do, don't sit in an M35 or 45. Those seats are super comfortable vs the G. I could not stop thinking trade for like a week. The only thing stopping me was the 50k price tag on the M35x. (I gots to have AWD)

Old 04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
...Anyway, the seat is a little skinny for me too. It's broken in a bit. I now have about 3k mi on the car. I seriously considering your jumping around method, but I'm concerned w/ breaking something vs just bending it wider.

Are you just breaking down the foam, or are you bending the frame?

Is it comfortable for you now?
I have a warranty, so if the seat somehow breaks I'm sure it'll cover it. As for what's happening internally. Well I can feel a metal rail under the foam and I'm sure it's deforming a little bit. I am much more comfortable sitting on the seat now comparred to the day I got it. I only have 180 miles on the odo, but I sure as heck couldn't wait 3k.

-Cheers
GW

Old 04-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Opinions are like...

Originally Posted by Curt G
I would like to hear more. Did you have to remove the seat from the car to take the seat apart? What is the procedure?

Thanks
Curt
I went through a lot back in '04 when I got my G. I am willing to help anyone who needs it. The one thing I'd like everyone reading this to keep in mind is that my experiences are just that, mine. Everyone is different and when it comes to these seats, you will get different opinions and feedback. Bottom line is you have to do what makes you happy. Above all, don't listen to the people that think you are crazy.

After a week of driving my G I started getting pain in my hips. I thought it was going to go away and just something my body needed to get used to. Unfortunately it didn't. After a month of pain and going mad because my new car experience sucked real bad I took some action. First I went to the doctor to find out what was up. Turns out I have a bursitis condition in my hips that was lending to the problem. Can't really fix that so I had to fix the car (was close to trading it for a Honda Accord, that's how desparate I was).

One weekend I took the seat out of the car, disassembled it (lower part only) and removed the bolster cushions around the hip area only. I don't really remember all the details but I didn't think it was that difficult to do. I do have a mechanical nature so I think that helped. If you are going to do it yourself I recommend covering as much of the interior with towels to prevent scratching. The seats are heavy and you can easily scratch things when removing. The other thing I recommend is to take notes as you go so you can remember how you took stuff apart and how they will go back together. The toughest challenge for me was disconnecting some of the wiring and then pulling the leather from the cushions. When I was done putting everything back together it was like night and day. Instant comfort. I really haven't lost much feel for the seat either because I still have the cushion bolsters by my legs (can't really be removed there) and on the upper seat.

The pain went away and I enjoy the car now. If you folks have anymore questions, shoot me a private message. Easier for me to respond that way.

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2006, 02:26 PM
I have problems with the G35s seats as well I wish they would move the controls, I believe that would cure a lot of the problems. The seats in my M3 were very tight and would hold me in place but I did not experience any pain. My other problem with the seats are that they do not go low enough for me and the rear view mirror obstructs my view occasionally. I guess we need to face the fact that the car was designed in Japan and the Japanese are typically smaller.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable seat fix.