Notices

need help on kptech foglight module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help on kptech foglight module

i followed accordfreak diy on installing this and still cant get it to work, i double checked all the wires but still no luck, for step 6 he connected the yellow 12v constant wire to the green wire on the dimmer switch, but my wires on dimmer switch had 1 black and 2 red wires, so i figured i just connect it to the red for constant 12v. anyone have any ideas? heres the link that i followed (i have a 2004 coupe)

https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...e-install.html

Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i had everything connected correctly and it didnt work.
un-plug.
plug.
now it works perfectly.

try pulling the multi-pin connector out of the fog light module and pluging it back in. [its the old turn the computer off and back on trick]

if that doesn't work..
make sure the relay wire colors are the same and in the same order as accordfreak's. mine were neither. i had to do some rearranging.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:23 PM
hmmm might have to try that trick, thanks dark knight

Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Can you use this device to run foglight during the day without turning on the lowbean headlight?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JSpec350GT
Can you use this device to run foglight during the day without turning on the lowbean headlight?
yes, I have for sale btw

Old 09-25-2009, 12:04 AM
yup, this module allows you to have your foglights on when you just have your parking lights on

Old 09-25-2009, 02:05 AM
i can have the fog on at any time, no matter where i head light switch at.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The first thing I would recomend is to NOT just guess on the wires. Just because a wire is red doesn't mean it's a power wire. You MUST use a volt meter to verify wiring before you just hook it up and see if it works.

For power, I would go to the BCM and look for a light green wire at pin 11. It should measure 12vdc when the key is in the "ON" position, but not the "Crank" or "off" positions.

Make sure you have a solid reliable ground and make sure your connections for the blue and green wires at the BCM are correct. Once these four wires are connected you can turn the car on and turn the fog light switch on and the LED in the side of the unit (to the side of the harness) should light up. If you turn the fog light switch off the LED should turn off. This is assuming you've purchased your module from KPtech in the last 6 months or so, since we started adding the LEDs to ease installation. If you get that far and it still doesn't work let me know - there are still two steps of troubleshooting left after you get the LED to turn on (relay wiring and fog light wiring).

Old 09-25-2009, 11:20 AM
sorry that what i meant wen i said the power turned on is the blue LED light came on.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned
The blue LED should turn on and off with the fog light switch - does it?

If it stays on constantly you need to check the blue and green wires on the module to make sure they are hooked up correctly.

If the blue LED does turn on and off with the fog light switch, but the fog lights don't turn on, you need to verify that the relay is "clicking" each time you turn the fog light switch on (if it isn't check pins 85 and 86 on the relay for proper connection) and that the fog lights are actually wired correctly (the relay should have constant power on Pin 87 and both fog light bulbs should be connected to Pin 30.

Do the fog lights still come on when the headlights are turned on?

Old 09-25-2009, 11:54 AM
ok just went out and tested it and the blue LED light stays on constantly, im gonna check the blue and green wires, thanks for the quick reply KP
also can you tell me wat pin connection # for the blue and green wire is for the BCM? just wanna make sure i connected the right ones

Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Is this module available for the sedans also?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned
Output 5 is a gray wire at Pin 32 and input 4 is a green wire at pin 3

However, there are several different BCMs used on the earlier cars - how many plugs does your BCM have? My service manual is showing 3 plugs - 2 white, 1 black.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned
We've never gotten one to work on the sedans - the BCM the sedan uses uses a different communication standard.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:10 PM
finally figured it out, but there still a couple problems. First of all the relay you sent me the colored wires(blue,green,red and white) didnt match at all, i had to pull apart the relays to see which wires were actually 87, 30, 87A, etc. i figured since you mass produced these the wire color code would match what at we are supposed to be matching up according to your directions, so that was very frustrating. now the problem is that these fogs have to be manually turned off and the radio turns on and off with the ignition turned off

Last edited by vietster; 09-27-2009 at 09:58 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: need help on kptech foglight module